“Very good but not quite Michelin star quality.”
Review of La Becasse - CLOSED

La Becasse
Price range: US$26 - US$65
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Transit: Ludlow Train Station 5 mins.
Description: La Bécasse offers award-winning fine dining in the picturesque town of Ludlow.The stunning oak-panelled restaurant and state-of-the art kitchens behind the scenes under the guidance of Head Chef Will Holland, attracted attention from the moment it opened as the sister restaurant to Berkshire restaurant L’ortolan, where chef patron Alan Murchison has held his Michelin star since 2003.Building on his life-long passion for cooking and the finest seasonal, ingredients, Chef Will Holland and his brigade work closely with local suppliers and producers, and wherever possible use produce that is ‘Local to Ludlow’.Since opening the doors in July 2007, the team at La Bécasse has been earning awards and accolades. A prestigious Michelin Star was awarded in January 2009; before that La Bécasse became Ludlow’s only restaurant with three AA Rosettes, was included in Harden’s Restaurant Guide as well as The Good Food Guide published by Which?, and was voted "Best Fine Dining Restaurant" in the West Midlands by Metro within four months of launching.“Fine dining should not be exclusive, pretentious or an intimidating experience,” says Chef Will Holland. "At La Bécasse we aim to provide great food, knowledgeable and professional service, and memorable experiences for all our guests. Winning a Michelin star within 18 months of opening is an acknowledgement of the huge effort that every member of the team has put in since we started.”
Warwick, United Kingdom
“Very good but not quite Michelin star quality.”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Located in a fantastic building with lots of character. Warm welcome. Shown up to the 1st floor where we were offered aperitifs. Attentive service but a little lacking in atmosphere. Shown to restaurant which was great in terms of decor etc but again a little austere. All dishes were of high standard supported with a high level of service. £55 for a 3 course meal which wasn't too bad in terms of value. Not unexpectedly drinks erred on the expensive side. Total bill was £100 per head. Was it worth it? Difficult to judge

Visited June 2014

Cirencester, United Kingdom
“Wonderful evening, tragic ending”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Can not fault the amazing food and service. Marc is a superb host and the service is attentive but not fussy. Every single thing we ate was first class, from the homemade warm breads and the pre-starter (White Onion and Thyme Veloute) to the most perfectly cooked venison and lamb. All beautifully presented in such an elegant dining room. The cheeseboard was wonderful and they even managed to find me the last walnut bread roll to go with it! We even asked for a couple of recipes and they arrived by email a couple of weeks later. The wine list is very expensive - there is definitely room for improvement in the selection.

The tragic ending was a trip out of the front door onto the pavement resulting in a broken ankle! The staff rallied around with chairs and cold wine bottles as ice packs and were very kind while we waited for the ambulance.

Such a silly accident spoiled a wonderful evening - just thought a follow up call would have been nice to see how I was?

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Philippa S
Hereford, United Kingdom
“For me not as good as expected”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I have been to La becasse many time times over the years and with different chefs with there own styles.
La becasse has not lost its service ethic and that is excellent throughout the evening. Even after my partner had knocked her champagne on the floor the maitre d, replaced and smiled and cracked a joke.

The disappointment was such a big name restaurant with nearly every table using groupon vouchers

We decided on the tasting menu and the food lacked from previous experiences the flair, flavour and presentation. I personally was hoping for me when paying for food only £150 + I expect something more than average and it was lacking...no memorable tastes or food.

The wine list seems to have been reduced and the price increased..

The staff are very good and thank you to the staff for the hard work and professionalism.

1 Thank ncokey
Lichfield, United Kingdom
“A special place to enjoy a memorable lunch”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I ate here recently with my husband to celebrate a special birthday. It did not let me down.Although it was a quiet Friday lunchtime the friendly greeting on arrival was lovely and we ushered upstairs to the very quaint bar to enjoy our glasses of champagne and try to choose our meals from a delicious menu. Everything was superb and served by very knowledgeable staff. We were even treated to a peek at the hidden priests hole in a secret room.If like us you enjoy excellent food in a very pretty town La Becasse will not disappoint.

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Excellent service”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My husband and I met up with a friend for lunch. We had never been before so were not sure what to expect. We were immediately greeted on arrival and as we arrived first invited to wait in the bar. This is upstairs in a very characterful room with old beams, wonky floors and amazing chairs.

Unfortunately because of my dialysis there was no starter that suited but I decided two courses would be fine. Anyway we had delicious bread, three types - walnut, Parmesan and beer bread. Then we had an interesting amuse Bouche of a celeriac cream with calvados ice cream.

My husband had a crab quiche as a starter which he said was OK. When the main courses arrived they did not bring my friend what she ordered. Immediately they apologised, took all the dishes away and offered us an extra glass of wine each. As we were driving we said no thank you so they produced another amuse Bouche of scallops and truffle oil. I didn't have it as I can't have shellfish but the others enjoyed it.

My main course was slow cooked beef. It was beautifully tender. My husband had chosen the salmon and cod whilst my friend had duck. All were fine but not stunning.

However they again brought out a pre-dessert which was a shot glass with rhubarb purée, ginger crunch, and topped with strawberries and was very light and delicious. However both my husband and I agreed the highlight was a the passion fruit soufflé with sorbet. Absolutely light as a feather and so tasty. My friend chose the cheese board and they had a really interesting range of cheeses to chose from.

Coffee was served with beautiful petit fours and because I had said I couldn't have chocolate they brought me a beautiful little delicate lemon meringue pie.

I thought the service was exemplary. Although they made an error they put it right with no fuss, apologised and offered something to compensate.