“Lovely meal”

Price range: US$26 - US$65
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Transit: Ludlow Train Station 5 mins.
Description: La Bécasse offers award-winning fine dining in the picturesque town of Ludlow.The stunning oak-panelled restaurant and state-of-the art kitchens behind the scenes under the guidance of Head Chef Will Holland, attracted attention from the moment it opened as the sister restaurant to Berkshire restaurant L’ortolan, where chef patron Alan Murchison has held his Michelin star since 2003.Building on his life-long passion for cooking and the finest seasonal, ingredients, Chef Will Holland and his brigade work closely with local suppliers and producers, and wherever possible use produce that is ‘Local to Ludlow’.Since opening the doors in July 2007, the team at La Bécasse has been earning awards and accolades. A prestigious Michelin Star was awarded in January 2009; before that La Bécasse became Ludlow’s only restaurant with three AA Rosettes, was included in Harden’s Restaurant Guide as well as The Good Food Guide published by Which?, and was voted "Best Fine Dining Restaurant" in the West Midlands by Metro within four months of launching.“Fine dining should not be exclusive, pretentious or an intimidating experience,” says Chef Will Holland. "At La Bécasse we aim to provide great food, knowledgeable and professional service, and memorable experiences for all our guests. Winning a Michelin star within 18 months of opening is an acknowledgement of the huge effort that every member of the team has put in since we started.”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Overall lovely experience, Listed building with panelled walls, Food was excellent, chose the tasting menu & were able to swap a couple of dishes without any issue. Wish I'd also taken the same main course as my partner... Her Pork Belly was beautiful. Some great help with a Bin End Wine we'd chosen that had sold out. Able to offer a similar one off the main list, but at the Bin End price.. A nice touch. All in all, very pleased.

1  Thank Heapster-Neil

Reviewed 24 August 2014

We booked through Open Table, who didn't confirm; however the restaurant ran us directly to confirm, which was a good touch. The welcome when we arrived was very friendly and the service continued to be excellent all through the evening.

The food was exactly the sort of food we love, with every bite a delicious treat, including the chef's little extras between courses.

While we were there the majority of diners were couples (of all ages) and there was a large party in a separate room by the kitchen who seemed to be having a very good time, without being intrusive on the rest of the restaurant.

One word on the M'D. We had a little banter about food in Limousin, where we have had some awful meals, and he gave us the names of three places near Limoges to eat. Looking forward to trying them if the food is anywhere close to that produced at La Beccase.

A fabulous evening all round.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

We haven't been to La Becasse since before Will Holland left last year, when we had a lovely meal, so we were a little unsure as to what to expect. We need not have been apprehensive. We went at lunchtime when there is a set price menu (£30 for 2 courses, £35 for three), the choices being restricted to three for each of the first and second courses. I had a rabbit presse for my first course, my partner had a langoustine pancake. For the main course, I had pigeon and my partner had slow-cooked beef. I would not normally have a third course, but the chocolate dish was the chef's competition-winning dish (and I adore chocolate) so I indulged myself and my partner had a strawberry confection which looked (and tasted) delicious. We also had some very tasty extras: three different home-baked breads; a Ludlow blue cheese croquet canapé; an amuse-bouche cauliflower soup with scallop ice-cream; and a beautiful refreshing mango and raspberry sorbet pre-dessert.

The food was superb. Chef Chris O'Halloran is a star (and deserves one - honestly, who can guess how stars are awarded?). Every mouthful was gorgeous. If I had to single anything out for special praise, it would be the pigeon. I was almost tempted to go with the exceedingly tender beef, but was encouraged to stick with my first choice and was really glad I did. It was cooked to perfection.

The service was immaculate; charming, friendly, unobtrusive, helpful. I really enjoyed the whole experience and thoroughly recommend La Becasse. My compliments to Chris O'Halloran and his great team.

1  Thank AndTedcametoo
Reviewed 18 August 2014

There has been a restaurant on this site for some time. We have eaten here under the last two chefs (Claude Bosi and Will Holland ).This time the head chef Chris O'Halloran was away but no problem as whoever was running the kitchen in his place provided a very good meal indeed.
My wife and I were there for lunch and both chose the same dishes - Ballotine of duck liver, pigeon and not being desert people, the selection of local cheeses. All excellen, the flavours of each dish well balanced.
Tom looked after us and the service was faultless. He was also light handed enough with the wine that the single bottle of Vacqueyras managed to last the meal.
This is a restaurant that we will visit again as we wish to try the tasting menu

Reviewed 16 August 2014

First fine dining experience for me and my partner. Felt very nervous as wasn't sure what to expect from it. I don't think a pre-starter and pre-sweet is entirely necessary although what we actually ordered was very nice and beautifully presented as expected. The service was attentive although not too intrusive. One small glass of wine was £8 although that is probably to be expected.
Although we enjoyed the experience, we probably won't visit there again as it was, at the prices, a one off treat.