“A feast for the eyes and for the taste buds!”
Review of La Becasse - CLOSED

La Becasse
Price range: US$26 - US$65
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Transit: Ludlow Train Station 5 mins.
Description: La Bécasse offers award-winning fine dining in the picturesque town of Ludlow.The stunning oak-panelled restaurant and state-of-the art kitchens behind the scenes under the guidance of Head Chef Will Holland, attracted attention from the moment it opened as the sister restaurant to Berkshire restaurant L’ortolan, where chef patron Alan Murchison has held his Michelin star since 2003.Building on his life-long passion for cooking and the finest seasonal, ingredients, Chef Will Holland and his brigade work closely with local suppliers and producers, and wherever possible use produce that is ‘Local to Ludlow’.Since opening the doors in July 2007, the team at La Bécasse has been earning awards and accolades. A prestigious Michelin Star was awarded in January 2009; before that La Bécasse became Ludlow’s only restaurant with three AA Rosettes, was included in Harden’s Restaurant Guide as well as The Good Food Guide published by Which?, and was voted "Best Fine Dining Restaurant" in the West Midlands by Metro within four months of launching.“Fine dining should not be exclusive, pretentious or an intimidating experience,” says Chef Will Holland. "At La Bécasse we aim to provide great food, knowledgeable and professional service, and memorable experiences for all our guests. Winning a Michelin star within 18 months of opening is an acknowledgement of the huge effort that every member of the team has put in since we started.”
Nottingham
“A feast for the eyes and for the taste buds!”
Reviewed 1 September 2009

August 2009 - We booked for the set lunchtime meal on Friday 28th August, very good value at under £30 per head, considering the excellent quality of the food! As always, drinks prices are on the relatively high side. A particularly nice touch are the Chef's appetisers before each course turning a 3 course lunch into a taster menu! Definitely will make a return visit next time we go to Ludlow.

1 Thank ConradTanya

whitbourne
“An outstanding experiance in every way”
Reviewed 2 August 2009

We were fortunate to get a table on a friday evening at short notice due to a cancllation.I understand reservations are eaiser mid-week.We opted for the Chefs supprise 10 course menu,we were both amased by the presntation and flavors of all the dishes.As it is suprise meneu I will not go into detail,suffice to say threre were some unusual combinations that worked extreamly well a! la "The Fat Duck".We were kindly allowed to request our favorite final desert from the a! la carte.My only dissapontment was due to having to drive home I was unable to sample the wines the very well imformed manager suggested to go with some of the courses.For those able to access the Hereford-Shrewsbury railway line Ludlow station is only a short walk from the restraurant

London, United Kingdom
“Nice food”
Reviewed 2 August 2009

> I went with my husband and son for Sunday lunch. We were offered a table in the garden to order our drinks and look at the menu. I had Pimms, they had orange juice and water. When we got to our table we asked for a jug of water. We noticed people who had wine had their glasses filled regually, they weren't too bothered about filling up our water glasses. I enjoyed the ambiance and the food, but my son and husband felt they hadn't eaten enough! When the meal is brought to the table the waitress explains what is on the plate, it would have been better if I could have understood her English. Over all it is fine dining and pleasant, but I don't think I'd rush back or recommend it to a friend. There doesn't apopear to be a dress code. My son's freind was also eating at another table, it's a popular venue.

London, England
“Technical skill over-complicates taste”
Reviewed 4 June 2009

Like many upmarket restaurants currently, it over-complicates the food (for example, foams and small drizzles), which makes it more difficult to actually taste the ingredients.

Reading, United Kingdom
“Stunning food supported by discreet but friendly service”
Reviewed 2 June 2009

It's been 18 months since we went around the time it opened, and returning a few weeks ago was a real experience. The food has developed a style of its own, building on its' L'Ortolan heritage.

Each part of each dish has a contribution of its own - and that sounds all restaurant critic I know - but it's true, even from a lay (but experienced) perspective.

One of the best meals we've had - great wine recommendations - and relaxed but knowledgeable service. I'd love to try Sunday lunch.