“Tepid food”

Ranked #59 of 89 Restaurants in Ludlow
Price range: US$49 - US$49
Cuisines: British, Wine Bar, Bar
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: A relaxed and contemporary cafe bar in the centre of historic Ludlow. The Wine Bar offers bistro style dining and drinking, high quality food with a wide range of fine wines and drinks. Open 10am to 10pm, 7 days a week.
yorkshire
“Tepid food”
Reviewed 21 August 2010

We went here for brunch.All our food was tepid,the local sausage sandwiches had virtually cold sausages in them.The scrambled eggs on toast were overcooked,and the toast was dry and unbuttered.
I was left feeling a bit ripped off as my own humble attempts at Sunday breakfasts far surpass this standard.The waiting staff,however were young and very polite and generally obliging.

We would not go here again.

2 Thank YorkshireBinksy

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Waited nearly one hour for our food which...”
Reviewed 2 May 2010

Waited nearly one hour for our food which was cold and tasteless when it finally came. Don't go!

1 Thank roscoscot
Lancs
“Won't be returning any time soon”
Reviewed 11 March 2010

Ego is situated at the end of a cobbled courtyard. Approaching it on foot at night, it looked very inviting and the exterior hinted at quality. That's where the good impressions ended.

Once through the door, my partner and I (who were the only diners in the restaurant at about 7.30pm apart from a couple of what appeared to be regulars at the bar) were greeted pleasantly but with no great effort. It looked as though some money had been spent on the premises and the decor may have been impressive were it 1986 but otherwise appeared quite naff. The walls were covered with cheap clipboards holding black and white shots of famous film stars. Hardly original, imaginative or very interesting. And we were mystified as to why the owners thoughts this fitted in with the theme (such as it was) of the place.

I fancied a pint with my meal but was told "We don't do pints, only half pints" so had to choose one of the two lagers on offer. I had the starter of a bowl of olives. I at least expected a garnish or for the presentation to have been given some effort but all I got was a bowl of olives in some unexceptionally tasting oil with a cocktail stick. I can (and do) do better at home.

For the main I had lasagne with garlic bread and salad (if barely a mouthful of leaves in a tasteless dressing does indeed constitute a 'salad'). I don't know if the garlic bread did come from a packet but it certainly did a good job of appearing to. It was best described as a single slice of oil-saturated, garlic-flavoured fried bread of the sort you'd have expected in a 1980s transport cafe. Similarly, I'm not sure if the lasagne was pre-prepared and simply heated in a microwave but it appeared for all the world to be. Tasteless, anaemic and untterly unremarkable in any way. The sort of thing you'd expect from a microwave, pre-packaged supermarket serving.

The disparity between the good impression given by the exterior of the premises and what was available within it was striking and chasm-like. The owners are really missing a trick because if they put in a little effort and imagination into their premises and their food they'd have a really lovely place here.

2 Thank M66Lancs
Dublin, Ireland
“Enjoyable food”
Reviewed 1 November 2009

This Italian restaurant was very quiet when we dined here twice on a week long visit to Ludlow. We like to eat early and unlike previous reviewer found the service to be prompt and attentive.Now to the food. It was freshly cooked and tasty.I had lasagne and I am fussy,too often you are served a reheated dry red meat messs,not so here.It was delicious,hence the reason for second visit.
Husband had salmon and prawn special and chicken and mango salad on second visit and was very happy with both dishes.
If in Ludlow,this pretty restaurant is well worth a visit in my opinion.The waitress who served us both nights even greeted us on the street next day!

1 Thank madmartina
Gloucestershire
“Won't be rushing back”
Reviewed 2 April 2009

We were very hopeful upon ariving but the place had no atmosphere. The service was slapdash and the food tired. Won't be rushing back.

1 Thank Wanderer091