“Unusual location, but definately worth a visit!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Bridgnorth
“Unusual location, but definately worth a visit!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

I booked this restaurant to celebrate my daughter's 21st recently, her choice because she loves all things Japanese and this was the closest to where we live (Bridgnorth). Booked for 7 people (family, all adults). I received a phone call the day before from the restaurant to confirm the booking. The restaurant was easy to find, parking was on the road outside, no problems. The restaurant is essentially a converted terraced house, in a residential area, just outside of the town centre. Very simply furnished inside and small, however it was packed the night we went (Saturday). Great atmosphere, although background music was not Japanese. Although the web site would indicate there was an A la Carte menu, this was not available, only the set menu. The price just under £27/person for 4 courses. I had told them that one person in our party was vegetarian, this was not a problem. The sushi starter comprised of fish and vegetable, vegetable only was provided. There was a good choice of dishes in each course, I had the tuna goyoza which was lovely. I do believe the menus are changed fortnightly. Each course was well presented, and although service was a bit slow (Mari apologised), we did not mind, did not feel pressure to rush, was nice and relaxed. The main meals are supplied with plates of traditional vegetables, such as lotus root (lovely), soya beans (remove beans from pods as pods are stringy!), and some other thin beans with sesame. Dessert consisted of 3 small portions of green tea ice cream, a type of cheesecake without the base, and an apple tart. Quite delicious. We were all full by the finish! They have a good selection of drinks including a lovely plum wine. I also tried the Japanese tea which was unusual but very refreshing. Someone described it as being a bit like smoked popcorn! This is an unusual restaurant, and great to go for a special occasion as it is quite expensive, especially when you have a few drinks! ps. Get ready to use your chop sticks!

• Visited October 2013

Hereford
“Superb japanese food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

My husband and I went to Koo for a relatives 30th birthday. None of us had ever been to a Japanese restaurant before so we didnt quite know what to expect. I must say we were really impressed, the food was lovely! As we were a group of 10 we opted for a 4 course set menu with sushi to start followed by a selection of traditional japanese dishes to share. The manager came over and explained all the dishes to us and told us which sauces complimented which dish which was really useful as we hadnt got a clue! The food itself was delicious, so many lovely flavours. We were even impressed with the desert which included a small apple pastry, green tea icecream, a chinese goosebury and a cheesecake which I can only describe as tasting like cake mixture (everyone loves cake mixture right?!). We would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone who wants to taste proper japanese cuisine in a friendly small intimate restaurant. We will definitely be visiting again!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Vickster01
midlands
“Lovely but left slightly under-awed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013 via mobile

Have been wanting to go here for some time and finally got around to it. Lovely room-compact but cosy. Although set menu was lovely I did feel that a bit more 'full on' japanese food could have been offered on an a la carte menu rather than just the set menu offered. Service was very friendly and helpful.

• Visited September 2013
Ludlow, United Kingdom
“Superb Japanese!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2013

I wasn't sure what to think, but I was tempted in by the fact the restaurant has so many good written reviews outside. I found the staff to be very welcoming and knowledgeable and they were able to help us choose contrasting meals. I thought it sounded dear, but didn't realise just how much I was going to get. Roll on the next night we get to organise!

• Visited February 2013
Orleton, United Kingdom
“Not impressed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

We had long wanted to go to this restaurant and took overseas visitors with us who love Japanese food but have to say we were very disappointed. It was Friday evening and it was busy but the service was bad. The first three courses on what is a set menu were very good but the dessert left much to be desired. We asked to see the a la carte menu and were just shown a typed version of what was on the set menu! Why not just say the menu is the same!! Service was, at best, sloppy. I'm afraid we will not be back.

Visited August 2013