“A fantastic find!”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Ludlow
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“A fantastic find!”
Reviewed 11 January 2014

A recent stay in Ludlow for business saw me searching for a hotel, not knowing the area well I chose to stay at the Fishmore Hall. I admit to knowing nothing about the place before my stay, on arrival my first surprise was I had been upgraded as they were not busy on that particular night, the room was delightful, I could have wanted for nothing more. The communal areas of the hotel were warm and extremely comfortable as I perused the menu for evening meal, the meal was fairly slow to come and although I was tempted by the freebie Hors d'oeuvre, which were delicious I couldn't help feeling I wish the extra effort had gone into prep; of my main, but the wait was worth it. The food was fantastic, not a large portion but the quality couldn't be faulted, even including the wine the meal wasn't as expensive as I could have paid in the town centre. The hotel offers a 'six course sampler menu', which may tempt me on my next visit.
There is much to do in and around Ludlow and much to appreciate from its beautiful countryside, I was so impressed by my first visit I have booked to go back for a few days break away from work in the near future at Fishmore Hall.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Yesterday was our second visit to Fishmore Hall Hotel and it was a birthday treat for my sister and her husband, who hadn't stayed there before. It didn't disappoint. We had the 6 course tasting menu and accompanying wines and it was incredible; probably one of the best meals I have ever had. The rooms, the service, and the food were absolutely first class and I am sure we will return.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Purchased a travelzoo deal for the 6 course tasting menu and booked a room with the hotel itself on-line.We arrived at 2pm and asked if we could leave our car as we wanted to walk into Ludlow.We were made very welcome and our luggage was taken from the car and installed in the room.On our return we discovered we had been upgraded. Fabulous room, real coffee maker, walk-in shower, large separate bath, bathrobes and nice view.Lovely building tastefully restored.We had a drink in the lounge with canapes, chose our wines and then were shown to our table in the lovely dining room.Shame there was only one other table occupied.The food was excellent. Some of the best we have eaten with service to match.This is one of the best all round places we have stayed.Plenty of walking in the area and Ludlow has some nice individual shops to explore.Couldn't fault the hotel. Breakfast was freshly cooked to order and good quality ingredients.Well done all. We will return and would be prepared to pay going rate.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
uk
Reviewed 9 January 2014

A group of us stayed at Fishmore Hall for New Years Eve and have to say it was a very enjoyable evening. The hotel is a lovely old (recently renovated) mansion situated on the outskirts of Ludlow and surrounded by countryside. The New Years Eve package included an excellent afternoon tea and champagne and canapés were served prior to the 5 course tasting menu. The food was of a very high standard but as expected for a tasting menu the portions were not large. Each course was however delicious and the scallops were outstanding! The meal was followed by dancing and fireworks. Our bedroom although nicely decorated, spacious and with a large bath in the room did have the strangest open plan shower, bathroom and toilet - no doors - although you could not see the toilet from the bedroom! We were informed of this before arrival but have to say it was style over practicality. The hotel itself is pleasant and comfortable with a small lounge area (with strange paintings) and a conservatory restaurant. The cooked breakfast was very good but it did seem that certain things were very slow arriving - had to ask for fruit, croissants etc a few times. The staff were always friendly and helpful. An added bonus is that there is free wi-fi. All in all we very much enjoyed our New Years Eve.

Room Tip: Room 7 has an open plan bathroom - might not suit all!!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Darwen
Reviewed 8 January 2014

What a gem we have stumbled on. Not knowing what to expect, this was a delightful Hotel that I could not fault at all. Everything is luxurious, down to the china mugs on the tea tray, candles in the bathroom, Molten Brown products. The bathroom was fabulous. A hugh bath to soak away the stresses of the day. A walk in shower. Big fluffy towels. A super king size bed. Close by to Ludlow, and all the attractions. We did walk in from the hotel, but decided to catch a taxi back, as it was dark. Only minutes away, taxi relatively cheap. Had a really enjoyable 1 night stay as we were onto another venue for the New Year, will definately be back.

Room Tip: We had room 3, but I am sure all the rooms would be of the same standard that we enjoyed
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
UK
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We spent a few days at Fishmore Hall over the christmas break and had a thoroughly relaxed and enjoyable stay.

Our room was a reasonable size, very comfortable and had a great walk-in shower. The hotel has been renovated and decorated with a muted contemporary look and I didn't mind the art on the walls. Not to my taste but nothing to get worked up about.

All of the staff we encountered were very, very good. Attentive without being obtrusive and always helpful and friendly. It is clear to see they have been trained well.

The dining room is half in the old hall and half in a modern addition; and it sits well with the overall look of the hotel. Very relaxed and slow paced allowing us time to savour the food. All of which was great. All our meals were well prepared and presented beautifully and we were always full. It was all of a very high standard and fits well with Ludlows reputation for fine dining. Another review commented on their dietary needs and I too have specific dietary requirements. All of the staff were great about it and nothing was too much trouble for them. I wish all hotels were so well staffed with well trained, courteous employees.

I particularly liked the little details such as the following days weather report waiting in our room on the last evening and the little bag of complementary christmas goodies. Nothing earth shattering i know, but the fact they bother with small details like this speaks volumes about the attitude of both owner and staff.

Fishmore Hall has a dog friendly policy, so if you don't like dogs or have allergies this might be a problem for some. Personally I like dogs so it was nice to see them curled up in the lounge and i only heard a single bark the entire stay.

Overall we had a great stay and will return again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Pattdiver
Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

Excellent hotel with friendly staff. Easy to find on the outskirts of Ludlow. Plenty of parking and lovely views over the hills even in late December. Spacious room with very clean bathroom. Shower very powerful and the sweets and weather forecast was a nice touch. Ludlow is a fine medieval market town with a castle and many small shops and cafés.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ludlow
The Feathers at Ludlow
The Castle Hotel
The Castle Hotel
#1 of 1 in Bishops Castle
Travelodge Ludlow Hotel

Been to Fishmore Hall? Share your experiences!