“lovely hotel stay - great food - nice staff - and can walk to Ludlow!”
Review of Fishmore Hall

Fishmore Hall
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Ludlow
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“lovely hotel stay - great food - nice staff - and can walk to Ludlow!”
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Went for one night - took my husband for Christmas in January as had lots of people Christmas time so just a quiet day and night - lovely room - did not have a bath but shower fine. Took our 'spoilt' dog which was great and allowed in all bedrooms and bar/lounge. Fantastic food - 6 course taster menu - took 2.5hours for dinner - superb! Can easily walk to Ludlow for a visit and went to Clee Hill - very windy!

Room Tip: Take you dog!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
Morecambe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2014

We spent two nights here recently, Saturday and Sunday. The room was very comfortable, with good quality refreshments. A request for biscuits (not in the room but provided free when asked for) produced 6 wonderful home cooked biscuits of various types. Extra tea bags and fresh coffee were also readily available. We had a standard room, so only a very nice shower, but no bath (our only regret). Bathrobes and slippers were also provided.

We chose this hotel for the food, and the nine course tasting menu did not disappoint. We also had the "wine flight", with a different wine with each of the nine courses. At a total cost of £108.50 per person we felt this was excellent value for a meal and drinks of this quality. I was also surprised to find that my favourite dish was braised pigs cheek, but trying new dishes is one of the benefits of the tasting menu. The chef coped very well with minor adaptations for my wife's gluten free diet, including lovely fresh gluten free bread. Service was excellent, attentive without being too cloying. JJ was very informative about the wines.

The restaurant was closed on the Sunday so we walked into Ludlow (about a mile) and had a good meal there. Breakfast in the hotel on Monday was excellent.

We have eaten and stayed in other well known establishments in Ludlow and the food here was at least as good and the accommodation better and far more reasonably priced. We will go again.

Room Tip: The standard room was excellent, but a bath would be good too, so may be worth an upgrade.
Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

Excellent staff, excellent hotel. Can't fault it. Amazing room overlooking fields and great view of Clee Hill. Open plan bathroom was really nice. (Room 7, Luxury Room) I do think the toilet should never be open plan though :-/ ......

Dinner in the restaurant was superb. Brilliant experience amazing food. Excellent.

The only slight downside is the distance to Ludlow town centre. You can walk it but it's not a particularly nice walk and I reckon it would take me much longer than 15 mins. We drove to town and found it easy to park so works for me.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 1jllj1
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

Had a fabulous time from start to finish.
Room was lovely
6 course taster menu was divine with 3 extra bonus courses! Staff lovely.
Breakfast was delicious and plenty of it.
Will definitely go again!
Ludlow is an amazing place to visit and fishmorehall was the icing on the cake.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
North Wales
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Just like Shropshire Tolly below we bought a Travelzoo deal for the 6-course tasting menu and stayed overnight at this gorgeous hotel. We were also upgraded to a superior room, which was just lovely and overlooked the twinkling lights of Ludlow.

We don't eat meat, so the restaurant came up with a fish-based tasting menu which was totally scrumptious. The tasting menu was a revelation (and what with hors d'ouvres, amuse-bouches and pre-desserts was more like 9 courses than 6). Let me tell you what we ate (yum!) 3 different hors d'oeuvres, an amuse-bouche of caulflower mousse with apricots & curried pine nuts then down to course no. 1 - salmon confit with some amazing beetroot confections, roast monkfish with a delicious potato and vanilla terrine, a stand-out mussel dish with saffron linguine, tomato and micro-coriander, a super piece of turbot complemented perfectly by toasted almonds (and a chervil gnocchi which for me were the only tiny false note of the evening) then a platter of 5 artisan cheeses including an astonishing Vacherin accompanied by a sliver of quince paste, then pre-dessert (my personal favourite, vanilla-scented pannacotta with rum-soaked raisins), a lemon and fennel creation which was astonishing and to finish a dark chocolate mousse with sublime blackberry sorbet (might have been ice cream). The portions were just right for a tasting menu - not skimpy but not so much to put you off the next delicious course.

The staff at the hotel were really helpful and kind and having spent most of the last week in bed with some kind of bug this was the most perfect way to get back on my feet. I'm going to tell everyone I know about this lovely hotel, and I'm definitely coming back!!

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 January 2014

A recent stay in Ludlow for business saw me searching for a hotel, not knowing the area well I chose to stay at the Fishmore Hall. I admit to knowing nothing about the place before my stay, on arrival my first surprise was I had been upgraded as they were not busy on that particular night, the room was delightful, I could have wanted for nothing more. The communal areas of the hotel were warm and extremely comfortable as I perused the menu for evening meal, the meal was fairly slow to come and although I was tempted by the freebie Hors d'oeuvre, which were delicious I couldn't help feeling I wish the extra effort had gone into prep; of my main, but the wait was worth it. The food was fantastic, not a large portion but the quality couldn't be faulted, even including the wine the meal wasn't as expensive as I could have paid in the town centre. The hotel offers a 'six course sampler menu', which may tempt me on my next visit.
There is much to do in and around Ludlow and much to appreciate from its beautiful countryside, I was so impressed by my first visit I have booked to go back for a few days break away from work in the near future at Fishmore Hall.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Yesterday was our second visit to Fishmore Hall Hotel and it was a birthday treat for my sister and her husband, who hadn't stayed there before. It didn't disappoint. We had the 6 course tasting menu and accompanying wines and it was incredible; probably one of the best meals I have ever had. The rooms, the service, and the food were absolutely first class and I am sure we will return.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ludlow
The Feathers at Ludlow
#1 of 1 in Bishops Castle
Lion + Pheasant Hotel
Lion + Pheasant Hotel
#1 of 14 in Shrewsbury

Been to Fishmore Hall? Share your experiences!