Having stayed several times at Holiday Inn hotels in London we thought that this 'Lite' version on the outskirts of Shrewsbury might suit us well as we had business further around the A5 on Saturday.
The room itself was clean and of a good size, although the staff seemed completely thrown by a request for a second key card as we were going to different locations on Saturday. The location, on a business park off the A5, we thought would be OK as they promised that there was a restaurant within the hotel.
There was but, oh dear, the food! Viewing the other diners meals we decided on 'breaded haddock', chips and peas as a reasonably safe option. When the meal eventually arrived the peas were as hard as bullets, the chips barely warm, and the 'haddock' was some sort of reconstituted fish encased in a thick impenetrable overcoat. The waiter seemed bemused to be asked the provenance of the fish, as no-one ever had before. A case I think of 'Long Time, No Sea' The kitchen were served by two whey faced youths whose only culinary skills appeared to be deciding which of a long row of microwave ovens to shove food into.
Breakfast the next morning was equally poor, with possibly (no it actually WAS come to think of it!) the worst cup of coffee I have ever had in my life. Limp 'croissants', dry bread, a choice of either grapefruit pieces or orange segments and doubtful 'muesli' packets thrown out in a lacklustre fashion really completed the picture.
Why oh why, when ingredients are actually the cheapest factor in a meal does this place scrape the bottom of the barrel in providing them. Perhaps because they know that after a long day people are reluctant to go elsewhere.
Though we had paid for a second night we just couldn't face the prospect and left a day early.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- From its medieval castle and historic black-and-white Tudor buildings, to its museums, restaurants, bars and world-famous Shrewsbury Abbey, the area surrounding the Holiday Inn Express Shrewsbury hotel beckons visitors with its stunning sights and sounds.Whether your stay with us is for business or pleasure, there is much to uncover in this fascinating town and with our modern, comfortable and clean rooms you are sure to find everything you need for an enjoyable visit. Not only is our hotel right in the middle of the Shrewsbury Business Park, many more attractions are either walking distance or a short drive from our front door. You can start your day with a free breakfast before heading towards the nearby town centre that is packed with timber-framed black and white buildings, steep narrow streets and alleyways. In fact, it boasts over 600 listed buildings, including Shrewsbury Castle, now a regimental museum. The historic centre is a shoppers' heaven, featuring designer boutiques, smart malls and an amazing range of independent retailers. Add to that a lively night life and a rich choice of cafés and restaurants.With easy access to Telford and the Midlands, including Telford International Centre, the Hampton by Hilton offers modern amenities in a historic Tudor town. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Shrewsbury reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hampton By Hilton Shrewsbury Hotel Shrewsbury
- Purplehotel Hotel Shrewsbury
- Shrewsbury Purplehotel Hotel
- Holiday Inn Express Shrewsbury Shropshire