“Not the best Holiday Inn in the country”

Holiday Inn Express Shrewsbury
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Shrewsbury
“Not the best Holiday Inn in the country”
Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

Room as you would expect, clean and tidy. Bathroom in need of a bit of TLC. Was going to have a meal in the hotel with there been no other eating establishments near by. However ended up at the garage for a sandwich. The food looked dreadful and was very expensive for what is was. breakfast was equally disappointing. The cooked food looked horrid and tasted as it looked. The toast was like cardboard as was the pastries and god knows what they had done to the coffee. Overall not impressed.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank LyndaE733
Samir20, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Shrewsbury, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your four star review and for choosing to stay with us.Thanks for your comments regarding the room and the cleanliness I appreciate your points of observation with regards to the breakfast and the dinner. Let me assure you that we are looking at changing our offering and as we are a limited service hotel we provide a hot continental breakfast with 3 choices of hot item..
Our team hopes to have another opportunity to serve you the next time you visit shrewsbury, this time with definitely a better experience.

Samir Sharma

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Polish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for one night last Saturday. The welcome was efficient and very friendly. The hotel was spotlessly clean and well decorated. My room was a good size with a nice en-suite bathroom with a good shower. The TV had a decent amount of channels available. The WIFI connection was fabulous - fast and reliable. I was on the 1st floor and the room was quiet, so I had a great night's sleep. The choice of hard/soft pillows was a nice touch.

As I was leaving before the breakfast room officially opened in the morning, the Receptionist kindly suggested that I could go in early - as some others were also doing .I did this and thoroughly enjoyed the more than adequate selection on offer.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone - it more than met my expectations and was certainly much better than the HI Expresses I visited a few years ago in other parts of the country. I will certainly use it again in the future.The hotel is only an express so only serve limited evening menu which is more than adequate.

Stayed May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback following you stay with us.
Thanks for your positive reviews about our hotel and we are pleased to hear that you have enjoyed staying with us .Considering reviews from our guests we are trying to improve more and more day by day .
Once again thanks about your comment regarding the breakfast,the dinner Rooms size,
thanks a lot for your positive reviews about the staff which have been forwarded to them .
Hope to see you back in future soon

Devon UK
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Booking was easy and straightforward. Same price on their website as on booking.com etc. Thought they may incentivise booking direct but either way I booked on their own site which was easy and no deposit needed.

Check-in was smooth & prompt, with friendly check-in staff. Room was a good size with large comfortable bed. Shower was larger than usual for this type of hotel which was a bonus and the water pressure was very good. Good selection of complimentary toiletries. Excellent very large fluffy Towels! Tea / Coffee making facilities and an Iron and ironing board. Wifi was free but was slow.

Small bar and restaurant area serving a limited evening meal menu. Breakfast was buffet style with hot and cold selection. The food was good quality and the breakfast staff were friendly and welcoming.

Free onsite parking a real plus as parking on the business park is tight to say the least. They let me leave the car in their car park on departure day whilst i attended a meeting nearby.

A well run small friendly hotel and I would return without hesitation.

Well done!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel.

It is wonderful to hear how much you enjoyed your stay, and I hugely appreciate your lovely comments regarding our friendly and professional staff.,the room,the cleanliness ,the amenities,the breakfast,the dinner and so on. Our team work really hard to give all our guests the best possible experience when they are staying with us, and I am glad you feel they excelled at this.

We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kind Regards,
Hotel Manager
Holiday Inn Express Shrewsbury
Spalding, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Having stayed several times at Holiday Inn hotels in London we thought that this 'Lite' version on the outskirts of Shrewsbury might suit us well as we had business further around the A5 on Saturday.

The room itself was clean and of a good size, although the staff seemed completely thrown by a request for a second key card as we were going to different locations on Saturday. The location, on a business park off the A5, we thought would be OK as they promised that there was a restaurant within the hotel.

There was but, oh dear, the food! Viewing the other diners meals we decided on 'breaded haddock', chips and peas as a reasonably safe option. When the meal eventually arrived the peas were as hard as bullets, the chips barely warm, and the 'haddock' was some sort of reconstituted fish encased in a thick impenetrable overcoat. The waiter seemed bemused to be asked the provenance of the fish, as no-one ever had before. A case I think of 'Long Time, No Sea' The kitchen were served by two whey faced youths whose only culinary skills appeared to be deciding which of a long row of microwave ovens to shove food into.

Breakfast the next morning was equally poor, with possibly (no it actually WAS come to think of it!) the worst cup of coffee I have ever had in my life. Limp 'croissants', dry bread, a choice of either grapefruit pieces or orange segments and doubtful 'muesli' packets thrown out in a lacklustre fashion really completed the picture.

Why oh why, when ingredients are actually the cheapest factor in a meal does this place scrape the bottom of the barrel in providing them. Perhaps because they know that after a long day people are reluctant to go elsewhere.

Though we had paid for a second night we just couldn't face the prospect and left a day early.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms at the back - IF you have to go here
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Peter C
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback post of your stay with us recently. My team and I pride ourselves in providing our guests with the highest levels of service.First of all i would like to thank you for your comment reference room and the cleanliness. I am really sorry that we were unable to meet your expectations on this occasion for the restaurant service.As i can see you are a regular guest with our brand and Holiday Inn but at Holiday Inn Express our dinner and breakfast options are limited and are according to our brand standard which is different from the normal Holiday Inn which cater for full service restaurant.From the quality point of view i will definitely look into it and will solve this issue. I assure you that this is not symptomatic of our usual high standards and for that I sincerely apologies. I have taken note of your feedback and will be discussing it with my team here. . Feedback such as yours allows us to improve continuously and I am very grateful to you for giving us an opportunity. With reference to your comments about the breakfast, I have taken it on board and will make sure it is up to our usual standard. I trust that you will visit us soon and allow us to redeem ourselves.

Warm regards,
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

This is a very nice, clean and basic hotel, as expected from Holiday Inn Express.
It was cheaper to stay over at this hotel, than it was to get a taxi back to Telford.
The breakfast wouldn't win any awards for food presentation, but it was fine.
Would stay again, for the convenience. It's right next to the A5/M54.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ronniewhelan
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your lovely review. I am thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed staying with us here at Holiday Inn Express Shrewsbury, and that you were able to experience the high levels of guest service and hospitality that we provide. I have taken on board your comment about the breakfast and can guarantee yourself that i will have a look into it.

We hope to see you back again soon.

Kind Regards
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

This is a convenient comfortable hotel perfectly placed for Shropshire, the Midlands and North Wales. The room was very comfortable and clean with all you need. The bathroom had an enormous shower, but no bath and the toiletries you need. The staff were helpful and friendly. The choice at breakfast was more limited than the Premier Inn I recently visited but again plenty for a start to the day. Overall, I would stay again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank PARBucks
Samir20, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Shrewsbury, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your experiences with us.

It was great to read that you found our staff to be so helpful and friendly and that you were impressed with the room & breakfast. I have shared your comments with the team with thanks. Positive feedback is vital to our business, and to inform our staff that they continue to do a wonderful job.

We do hope to be able to welcome yourself and your colleagues back to the hotel in the future.

Kind Regards,
Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We had a great overnight stay here. The check-in was efficient and friendly and help was offered with the luggage. We had a ground floor spacious room which was very well equipped. It is rare to have an iron and ironing board for example. The bathroom had all that we needed, with all shower gel, shampoo, conditioner etc. and the shower could be hand-held if you wished. The slight problem with the room heating was soon solved by the cheerful Duty Manager, Jack Bailey. The breakfast was buffet -style with a range of hot and cold dishes. It was noticeable that the Buffet was being constantly replenished, by the ever cheerful Jack, amongst others.
It would be helpful if the hotel could have some signage at the entrance to the Business Park as we had to search it out a bit, but it was well worth it and we would definitely stay there again when we are in the area.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Harry B
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent review - I am delighted to read such wonderful comments and glad you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed your breakfast at our hotel.

I am happy to read of your comments relating to our staff and specially Jack who looked after you very well., I am sure the team will be delighted to read your kind words and i will pass on your comment to them.

If you would like to return soon we would be glad to assist you with a booking, please contact us directly whenever you plan your next trip!