“Fab as usual” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Osteria Da Paolo

Osteria Da Paolo
Ranked #11 of 343 Restaurants in Shrewsbury
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Cheap Eats, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Nantwich
“Fab as usual”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

Another fantastic meal with great staff. The little touches like Massimo coming to your table to check you have had a good evening are what makes it special. We travel 30 or so miles to visit this restaurant and are never disappointed. Will be back! Thank you

• Visited August 2014

Dudley, United Kingdom
“Best Italian”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

We ate here whilst staying for the weekend in Shrewbury. A local couple and the barman from our hotel recommended it. Its an adorable little resturant hidden away. It is down under the ground, there are quite a few steps when you go down to it, you are met straight away by the bar area. We walked in on a Saturday thinking we may not get a seat but we were met by a really friendly Italian who sorted us out a waitress to seat us. The resturant itself is only quite small but beautifull decorated with a realy Italian vibe to it, not at all like the chain resturants.
The menu was very good with lovely traditional Italian dishes. I went for the Mushrooms in creamy garlic sauce for starters - it was lovely. My Husband went for the oysters which he loved.
I had Tagliatelli de pollo for my main, it was to die for, the best meal ive ever had in an Italian resturant, cooked in a beautiful sauce with a little bit of a kick to it. My Husband has the fillet steak, he loved it. He actually said it is the best steak he has had in the UK. The bill was also very reasonable. As we left the chef came out to us and shook our hands and asked how the food was and chatted to us a for a little bit which i thought was really lovely, not often do you get that in resturants, it was a very nice touch.
The only problem we had was that the evening we went for food was one of the hottest evenings and it was very warm down there, which did make it abit uncomfortable for eating, could do with abit more aircon down there.
Highly recommend anyone vising Shrewsbury to visit this resturant.

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Friendly welcome and good food guaranteed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

We’ve dined at the charming Osteria de Paolo’s on many occasions now and love its relaxed and friendly ambience. Diners are always made most welcome and receive excellent service and generous portions of tasty home cooked food. Their menu has an obviously Italian focus but also caters for UK tastes and some specials starters and mains are always available on the day. Prices are very reasonable and on a par with other local restaurants and you will always be offered a free limoncello liquor when settling your bill … maybe more than one if you get chatting with the friendly chef! Highly recommended.

Telford, United Kingdom
“my favourite italian”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Paolo's is a little gem hidden away in Shrewsbury,
The food is outstanding, I visited on Saturday evening with my husband and my cousin and his partner from Sheffield.
When we arrived we were about 20 minutes early so assumed we would have to wait, not at all we were taken straight to our table by a very pleasant young lady.
After an agonising decision on what to eat because everything on the menu and the daily specials sounds so good we all decided to have the mushrooms to start, I didn't know such a simple dish could taste so delicious. For mains my husband and cousin had steak cooked in a chilli, and tomato sauce, my cousin's partner had spinach lasagne and I had fresh tuna steak cooked in garlic, tomatoes, capers and chilli and served with mussels.

The service, was outstanding, the food was absolutely divine and the owner/chef came out of the kitchen as we were leaving to ensure we had had a good meal.
Some people think it's a little overpriced our bill was 96 pounds, we all had 2 courses and 2 bottles of wine, so I think that was quite reasonable and I don't mind paying for good quality.
This is definatly my favourite Italian and will return again and again.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank kazbotelford_10
Ilminster, United Kingdom
“Good Italian cooking”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

Not a pizza and pasta place - if that's what you're looking for, go to one of the chains. This is traditional Italian cuisine with fresh ingredients prepared and cooked to order by the owner. The set one, two or three course dinner menu, priced according to the number of courses is excellent value for money with a choice of up to five entree and five main dishes. The chicken liver entree I chose, lightly fried with a hint of garlic and green peppers, was tender and moist. This was followed by cod that still tasted of the sea, cooked with tomatoes, capers and green olives; accompanying it was a side dish off freshly cooked saute potatoes, broccoli, carrots and courgette. A glass of Italian Chardonnay went well to balance these dishes. The portion sizes are just right - mediterranean gourmet rather than anglo saxon gourmand. I decided to try the rhubarb tart with fresh strawberries, cream and a small scoop of delighful strawberry gelati for dessert and it was the perfect finish to the meal. My bill came to a very reasonable £17.90.

2 Thank geoff n