“An excellent stay”

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Shrewsbury
uk
“An excellent stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

We have just returned from a nights stay at the Prince Rupert .A night away without the kids to celebrate our 25 th anniversary. We were extremely impressed with the service from start to finish. We were upgraded to the prince rupert suite for our stay and even had an anniversary card in our room. i was a little dubious about the ghosts id read about, but we had thankfully no encounters and enjoyed a very pleasant stay.The room far exceeded our expectations with a four poster bed and a bath you so deep you didint want to get out of. breakfast was delicious and plentiful. the valet parking was great and they allowed us to leave the car there even after we d checked out. I would not hesistate to recommend this place for a lovely break in Shrewsbury. Thank you to the hotel.

1 Thank afield
James M, General Manager & Director at Prince Rupert Hotel, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
First and foremost I would like to extend my thanks to this guest for taking the time and trouble to write such a wonderful review of their stay at The Prince Rupert. It is lovely to know that their anniversary celebrations went well and that they enjoyed our Prince Rupert Suite, one of the most historic bedrooms in the County! The team and I at the hotel all certainly hope that these guests choose to stay with us again in the not too distant future…

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Thai first
Wookey, Somerset, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Great location in centre of historic Shrewsbury. Traditional hotel with comfortable rooms. Friendly & helpful staff. Free valet parking - you can drive into pedestrian area to hotel main entrance. Good English breakfast

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Richard W
I am very thankful that this guest has taken the time to post this positive review of their recent stay on Trip Advisor. The team will be delighted that their service was greatly appreciated and we certainly hope this guest chooses to stay at the hotel on their next visit to Shrewsbury.
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

Once you can find this 'Hidden Away Gem' your relaxing instantly starts when you are met with a glass of sherry as a Welcome to Prince Rupert. Every one was so helpful and genuinely friendly and courteous. There is so much History in this hotel it is difficult to take it all in. What I can tell you is that if you appreciate good food then 'Justin" the chef prepares some really wonderfull mouthwatering extravergancies.
We were very happy to accept a complementary upgrade to Celebrate our 30th Wedding Anniversary by the staff. Nothing was too much trouble. You must try the locally bottled 'Claret' it really is gorgeous. We enjoyed our break away completely. Waiting to go back again.

2 Thank Jacqueline W
The team and I are truly thrilled that these guests thoroughly enjoyed their celebratory anniversary stay away at The Prince Rupert and I would like to thank them for taking the time to post this charming review. Our Head Chef Justin and his kitchen team have asked me to convey their sincere thanks for this very flattering feedback about the cuisine – indeed all of the staff are delighted with the super comments. We are already looking forward to welcoming them back to the hotel on their next visit to Shrewsbury…
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

I stayed at the Prince Rupert Hotel for 4 nights for a work commitment I had in Shrewsbury. My first impression was as a driver this hotel is in a very awkward position, with very narrow lanes leading up to it. As a pedestrian it is in a great position, as it’s right in the middle of the town. On arrival the receptionist arranged for my car to be parked in the hotel car park, which I presume if some distance away, I asked for it back at 07:30 the next day and it was duly there when I wanted it, so this is a system they have obviously got well honed. I booked a superior single room, and I was given a room on the 3rd floor. On arrival in my room I had mixed feelings, the room its self wasn’t massive, but then it was a single. The bed was a “queen” size bed it looked quite new and was very comfortable. The rest of the furniture in the room was very dated, and the top drawer in the dressing table would not stay closed! The bathroom had obviously been renovated recently, and was very nice, with “Products” provided. But I do have 1 major gripe! The water pressure in my bathroom was non existent! The shower literally dribbled out, and the tap on the sink wasn’t much better. I wonder why a hotel would spend so much renovating the bathrooms, only to leave them practically useless because the water pressure is so bad????? The breakfast in the hotel the first morning was very nice, well it was very nice on all the mornings I stayed, but mysteriously it got smaller and smaller as the days passed! We started with 2 rashers of bacon, and a whole tomato the first morning, this reduced to 1 rasher of bacon the 3rd morning and on the forth morning it had reduced further to 1 rasher of bacon a ½ a tomato, no explanation was forthcoming from the waitress! The bar was ok, quite reasonably priced I thought for a hotel, the only problem was every time you wanted a drink, for the first 3 days I was there, you had to go and ask the lady on reception. On the last night the barman seems to have arrived back! Overall it wasn’t a bad place to stay for a work trip, but it isn’t a place I would stay with my wife!

Room Tip: If you like a shower get a low room!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Peter E
First and foremost I would like to thank this guest for their overall positive review of the hotel, although I would however like to take this opportunity to respond to some of the constructive points raised.

The particular room this guest stayed in had indeed just been refurbished with a brand new bathroom. Nevertheless, I am sorry that there was obviously an issue with the water pressure from the shower. I would always insist that it is best for a guest to come to either myself or one of the team whilst still at the hotel in order to rectify any issue during the course of a stay because, as I am sure it can be appreciated, there is little I can now do in order to resolve it. In this instance one of the members of staff could have inspected the bathroom, or we could have indeed moved this guest to an alternative room as a more drastic resolution. Our maintenance team has since investigated this problem and the shower now has full water pressure.

Although this guest was happy with the quality of their breakfast offering, I was still disappointed to read the less positive comments with regards to the breakfast portioning. All of our ingredients arrive fresh from farmers and butchers and, due to the nature of the produce, do often differ in size. With this in mind, our breakfast chefs will increase or decrease the size of the ingredients on the plate accordingly; however, they will always endeavour to ensure that the same sized overall portion is delivered. I sincerely hope that this explanation goes some way to answering this guest’s query about breakfast.

Once again, I would like to thank this guest for their feedback and I hope that they would choose to stay with us again at The Prince Rupert Hotel in the future.
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

Well, the last review I left on Tripadvisor was (for another hotel) really terrible, so am pleased to leave a glowing report on this hotel. My husband and I decided to go to Shrewsbury overnight and he picked this hotel. My husband doesn't always do his homework when it comes to going places(see my last review in Glasgow!), so wasn't sure what to expect.
The hotel is very centrally located and it's surrounded by quaint-sounding street names; my personal favourite being 'Grope lane'. There are a number of small independent shops, which makes it ideal for gift shopping etc. The hotel itself is charming. From the moment we stepped through the door the staff were friendly and efficient, and the place had a nice ambience about it. We had a suite in the old part of the hotel which was impressive and really quirky(in a good way) with a bathroom with wainscoting and roll top bath. The floor was ancient and all over the place but added to the overall charm of the experience. We didn't encounter any ghosts sadly, but if ever a place was built for ghostly goings on, then this is it.
We dined in the hotel 'royalist' restaurant, and were actually really impressed. The menu was imaginative and beautifully presented and reasonably priced..Breakfast, likewise, and catered for all tastes.
I was really impressed by the organisation and team functioning, and thought that the staff looked liked they actually enjoyed working there, and were very attentive to the guests.
So, all in all, a really enjoyable experience, and would have no hesitation in returning.

Room Tip: We were in the older part of the hotel and it was very quiet at night.
2 Thank grace k
What a magnificent review following this guest’s recent stay with us – I cannot thank them enough for taking the time and trouble to write these lovely comments! I’m so pleased that this guest enjoyed all aspects of their stay at The Prince Rupert and I am of course delighted that they would choose to stay with us again during future visits to Shrewsbury. The team and I are already looking forward to the opportunity to welcome them back in the not too distant future…
Cheshire UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

Wonderful hotel. The staff are 100% friendly, helpful, and extremely professional. The dining experience, service and delicious food and wine in the Royalist restaurant was second to none. Our suite with four poster bed was extremely comfortable and spacious. This place just gets better. Really can't fault it, try it, you too will want to return.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank CheshireUKJanet
I am delighted by this guest’s positive comments about our friendly team and indeed the professional service that they endeavour to deliver. Our Head Chef Justin Fenwick-Scott and his kitchen brigade are thrilled that another dining experience has been enjoyed – we all hope that this guest chooses to stay with us again in the future…
St Albans, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

I recently had the pleasure of staying one night at The Prince Rupert hotel. I was accommodated in a lovely spacious bedroom overlooking the historic St Alkmunds church. I was particularly impressed with the design of the newly fitted bathroom. My breakfast the next morning was delicious and they even valet parked my car. A first class stay, and I would recommend this hotel for business or pleasure.

Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Liza M
Fantastic to see that this guest enjoyed their recent “1st class” experience at The Prince Rupert and I would like to thank them for writing such a lovely review. We have indeed invested heavily throughout 2013 in order to fully renovate and upgrade our hotel bathrooms – great to know that all the hard work is being appreciated! I sincerely hope that this guest chooses to stay with us again on their next visit to the area.