“Great night away !”

Lion + Pheasant Hotel
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Shrewsbury
Reviewed 10 August 2012

Had a fantastic night away at the Lion & Pheasant, rooms very nice, and 4 poster ! We had Sunday lunch and the roast beef was to die for ! Highly recomended ! Make sure you dont try and book into the Lion Hotel which is on the same road.....as we did !!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank james w

Reviewed 6 August 2012

I took my husband for a night here, for his birthday. The rooms are stunning, lovely and clean and beautifully presented. We had dinner in the hotel restaurant, which was brilliant. The only downside is that this hotel is on a very busy, noisy road. Even with the windows shut, you are unable to sleep through and we are normal heavy sleepers.

On departure, we mention we thought the hotel was lovely apart from the noisy and the lady of reception pointed out we should have asked for a quiet room - Silly me!!

Fab hotel but ask for a quiet room at the back!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room at the back of the hotel!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pebbles1604
Reviewed 6 August 2012

My husband and I checked in here after staying in shrewsbury and realising that camping just wasnt our thing! It was our first wedding anniversary and we decided to treat ourselves after reading good reviews on TA we rang and booked a deluxe double room. The room was a good size. The decor was clean and modern, and there were lovely little touches in the room.we decided to eat in the restaurant that evening and were pleasantly suprised with the service, food and atmosphere. We sat upstairs which was nice and quiet. As it was our anniv we decided to opt for breakfast on bed (recommend it) for £5pp extra, that again was very good!
Good aspects:
Service (all staff were attentive, chatty and helpful)
Food and drinks
Room facilities
Comfy beds
Location
I personally regard these as the important things that i suspect most people look for when staying at a hotel. However these are the things that stopped me giving it 5/5:
Bath cleanliness (dirty scum mark put us off having a bath)
Carpets- very hard obv heavy duty but are covered in stains esp on corridors)
Parking area
As we were in a front room had traffic noise.
Overall a lovely experience and will definitely return and next time will book the loft suite!
Thank you for a lovely stay.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Good location with private parking. Super breakfast with locally sourced ingredients, charming service and spotlessly clean. Room small, but nicely furnished and comfortable. We had a room at the back so no traffic noise, though it was rather hot despite two open windows. In-room tea and coffee all Fairtrade. We would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Wulfruna42
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We recently celebrated our wedding here. The staff, especially Danielle went out of their way to make sure everything went exactly how we wanted it to. The crystal room is simply beautiful and ideal for more intimate weddings. Our wedding breakfast meal was delicious, every guest enjoyed their meal and the staff served everyone promptly. Our day could not have been any better and all of our guests commented on how beautiful the lion and pheasant is. Huge thank you to everyone at the lion and pheasant.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank NicolaS263
Reviewed 22 July 2012

I wanted to leave a review as I have seen a few people complain about noise/rooms etc and I totally disagree. I think it's important to remember that people who write reviews come from all walks of life and have very different expectations...and often only write a review if they have something to complain about.

So, to set the scene, my husband booked this hotel for us as a surprise treat for my 30th birthday. I love boutique hotels with quality furnishings, nice food and a bar with atmosphere, so for me, this was perfect! From the outside it looks pretty normal, but you step inside and fall in love with the soft, modern ambience. Everything is unique with great lighting and feels very special.

I fell in love with our room (number 1), which was the four poster room at £130 a night including breakfast. The bed was lovely and comfortable with huge squidgy pillows and a high quality mattress - we are used to a super king size bed at home, so finding a bed that we like when we go away is rare, so this is high praise for us :)

We had a large bathroom with a shower and walk in wardrobe. The lighting was very pretty and the room had lots of character, with 2 fire places. The towels were big and fluffy and the ammenities were all high quality - every detail has obviously been well thought out and costs haven't been spared on the smaller details. The windows were huge and overlooked the bar's garden at the back of the building, which initially concerned me, but I needn't have worried.

The breakfast was amazing! You can go down any time between 8-10 (at the weekend), so we generally rocked up at 9:45, which was never a problem and most guests seemed to do the same. You have a choice of continental breakfast, which looked nice, and a hot breakfast that you order off the menu, so is cooked fresh. The breakfast was delicious and the chef is very good! My husband had a full english and I had smoked salmon with chive scrmabled eggs on muffins.... it was faultless and definitely worth including as it's a lovely relaxing start to the day :)

I LOVED the bar! The cocktails were very yummy, I loved the mandarin mojito! It is a contemporary and modern bar with a huge mix of ages. When we were there, there were locals drinking from 20 right up to 60. I always think if locals visit the bar of a hotel, you're onto a good thing. My parents came and joined us on the Saturday night (both nearing 60) and loved it!

Finally, I think it's an idea to address 'the noise'. For us, we had no problem. I suppose it depends what you're looking for. The hotel bar starts to kick out at 11pm and closes the doors at 12pm. We were out both nights until about 11pm (maybe even slightly earlier), so by the time we got back, the noise was dying down. On the Friday there was a wedding, so I was a bit nervous that I'd be kept awake all night, but it was not a problem at all and by the time we went to bed, they'd all gone home. You can hear the road a bit from the back, but not to the point that it bothered us. I always take ear plugs to hotels anyway, so I never notice this stuff. My husband doesn;t though and he slept like a baby. The only tip I would give is that if you don't like the room light then bring an eye mask as the curtains are thin, but again, it didn't bother us.

If you're looking for a true boutique hotel, within easy reach of the town, good food and a nice atmosphere then this is a gem and I cant fault it.
If you're looking for a tranquil break with silent rooms, then you're better staying in the countryside and not in a city centre hotel. From my point of view, this is the best boutique hotel in Shrewsbury.

Thanks to the staff for being so friendly and welcoming and making my 30th birthday so special :) (special thanks to the girls that helped my husband to arrange the most beautiful flowers in my room... and of course the champagne)

Room Tip: Rooms at back are quieter and I can highly recommend room 1 for size and comfort Definitely include...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MichelleSmitho
Reviewed 19 July 2012

A great hotel with lots of character and excellent food! Beakfast and dinner were lovely and all was great value for money. A very nice town and great for shopping. We didn't have a problem with noise.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends