“Picnic with a View”
Review of Attingham Park

Attingham Park
Ranked #4 of 82 things to do in Shrewsbury
More attraction details
Owner description: This 18th-century home contains one of the most complete surviving collections of Regency style.
Walsall, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Picnic with a View”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

What a lovely Mansion Attingham is. When you go take advantage of the tour guide they are both knowledgeable and friendly. you can go back through the house on a free flow. We took a picnic and ate it by the lake. There is a walled garden but that wasn't very well maintained when we went. We did not go in Lady Berwicks tea room it did look expencive it was interesting to see the renovations in progress. We will go back to see the glass roof next year.

Visited July 2014

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“80th Birthday Rip Off”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

It was my Mothering laws 80th Birthday and we had taken them away for the week. On her birthday we were leaving Devon on our way to family party in North Wales. My wife booked in advance Afternoon tea in Lady Berwick’s which was confirmed. When we arrived I went up to front desk and advised we had booked afternoon tea and could they advise where to go. I was then told we had to pay to go to the tea room as it not separate and had to pay admission. See this link it does not mention this.

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/attingham-park/eating-and-shopping/lady-berwicks/ .

I paid the fee £26 for the four of us but asked why..? Three young ladies all standing around were very unhelpful and one said “ that’s how it is “. Then another piped up “you could join “ maybe a solution I thought...okay how does that work and with a snigger to her colleagues “yes that £95.50 for two of you “. The attitude of these young ladies is shocking. The tea was nice and my mother in law knew of none of this upset as we were not going to spoil her 80th Birthday.

It seems ironic that it’s managed by National Trust !...I “ trust “ you will sort out communication on website and ensure when making booking tea rooms the team there explain you have to pay the entrance fee to gain access to Tea Room at over £100 for four people for tea and cake left a bitter taste along with the attitude of your front of house team !!

Visited June 2014
8 Thank Craig F
Birmingham, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 84 helpful votes
“Beautiful Grounds and House”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This was a fantastic visit to a beautifully kept house. The grounds are expansive and on the day I visited the Bluebells and buttercups were out. I had a tour guide on my visit and I would recommend it. My guide was dressed in costume and used appropriate humour to keep me entertained. He had a vast knowledge of the home. This site is currently under refurbishment and that did not spoil a good visit. Take ones time on comparing the different rooms and absorb the wealth and grandeur of a bygone era. I did find the refreshments a little expensive and the coffee was not as hot as I would like.

Visited April 2014
Leyburn, North Yorkshire
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Park & Mansion”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We had a guided tour of the mansion which is undergoing a lot of renovation. The guide was very informative but too dramatic in his presentation. I have been round far more impressive houses. The park was quite pleasing and appeared well used by locals. The wall garden left much to be desired and was being used mainly for the growth of vegetables. The mansion tearoom did serve some decent food and made a good cup of tea. Not a place I will visit again.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank oapcameraman
solihull
257 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 459 helpful votes
“Worth The Visit Again”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

My wife and I visited Attingham Park again after a three year gap and were once again impressed that the NT are bringing it back to pre the 1950's.There is a lot of renovation and work going on (especially the roof) but it does not affect your visit.
The park and gardens are an enjoyable walk.
Although being NT members and wishing to support it I would suggest that if you would prefer a slightly better meal then we always go to the Mytton and Mermaid (the food is excellent) facing the front entrance to Attingham and would also suggest booking a table (01743 761220) at lunch time as it gets very busy.

Entrance prices to Attingham for non members....Adult £11.90 (£5.90 Park and Garden only)...Child £5.50 (£2.95 Park and garden)....Family £27.70 (£14.95 Park and Garden)

Visited June 2014