“Disappointing”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Casual and fresh
Reviewed 23 March 2012

My wife and I have just had lunch there the food very average. I had the all day breakfast, I know not an exciting choice but all the same not very tasty and quite small. My wife had chicken and we were told it would be 15 to 20 minutes to cook, not a problem but I am sure it only takes a few minutes to microwave have a chicken, very tough and tasteless,gravy pretty nasty too. On the upside the staff are an asset to the restaurant, very friendly and polite.

3  Thank mickydripping
There are newer reviews for Number Four

Reviewed 23 March 2012

Went to Number 4 after reading all the mainly rave reviews on Trip Advisor. I must say that the waiting staff are extremely nice, friendly and enthusiastic, however, the food is a major let down. £12 for corn fed chicken - definitely NOT corn fed and definitely MICROWAVED! It was tough and dry in the way that only microwaves can make chicken and it was accompanied by gravy which i can only describe as tasting of smoky bacon crisps! My husband had the all day breakfast, the sausage on this was one tiny chipolata. Very, very disappointing food and poor value for money, £31 for two very average mains and two drinks

3  Thank CARound
Reviewed 16 March 2012

We've eaten here four or five times since it opened, mostly for lunch but once for Friday night dinner, and have been impressed not only by the high quality food but also the excellent service.

Number 4 offers something a little different in Shrewsbury, which has plenty of standard fare cafes selling jacket potatoes if that's your thing like a previous reviewer. The specials always sound tempting and I've never seen the same thing on the board twice. Last time we went (mid week lunch, but still busy) I had the duck breast salad with figs and my husband had salt beef baguette with horseradish mayonnaise, both from the specials board and both were delicious. The house red was so good we asked the waitress for its name and headed straight to Tanners to buy a bottle! On previous occasions I've had the fish finger sandwich, the crispy chicken wrap and a salmon special which blew me away.

The staff at Number 4 are all friendly and helpful, and clearly know their stuff. You can see right into the kitchen in the upper bit of the restaurant, which offers an interesting dimension on the meal. It is also exceptional value for money, given the high standard and quality of the food. As for the decor, the concrete floor (mentioned by a previous reviewer) is clearly a style choice and in total keeping with the rest of the restaurant, which is simple, clean and tasteful.

I can't recommend this place enough if you're looking for tasty, fresh food in comfortable and relaxed surroundings with excellent service. If you're looking for jacket potatoes and carpet you might need to try somewhere else.

1  Thank Vickie30
Reviewed 13 March 2012

My husband & I always try and visit No 4 when we are in Shrewsbury. The staff are exceptionally friendly, wonderful surroundings & super food.

The comments made by a previous visitor seemed unfair - no good for dieters (!), concrete floor - it's all part of the character of the establishment, no jacket potatoes - thank goodness the menu is far more varied and interesting.

The place has always got a great buzz and is a treat to visit. Enjoy...you won't regret it.

1  Thank Clair S
Reviewed 9 March 2012

Shrewsbury has been crying out for a place like this for years - it's just that nobody realised it until Caroline and Toby did. It is definitely the place to be on a Saturday morning and although with its ever increasing popularity you might not get a table straight away, when you do it is certainly worth the wait. The food is fresh and delicious providing excellent value for money - especially the all inclusive breakfast. The service is fantastic and the welcome always warm and friendly. If it wasn't for the lack of an ocean view, the look and feel of Number Four reminds me of dining in the trendy, laid back establishment of Bondi Beach. Highly recommended to local and visiting gourmands.

1  Thank The_Miahs