“Excellent”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Casual and fresh
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I have been many times to Number Four and every time the food has been excepentional. Wine great choice. Service is fantastic, staff helpfull and friendly. Only negative, they can't make custard!!

Reviewed 10 May 2014

My wife and I wandered into here on a Friday for lunch, without having previously read any reviews. (Shocking, I know!). The first impression as you go in is not good due to the layout of the place: there is a large working area a few paces from the door and it feels as if you’ve walked into the kitchen. However the greeting from the waitress was welcoming and cheerful. The seating feels a little as if you’re spread out along the wall, around the working area. But the real test is the food, and this was very good. We both chose warm salad of black pudding, bacon, new potatoes and spinach with two poached eggs and mustard sauce. When the food arrived it looked and smelled lovely: this first impression was matched by the taste. It was a lovely combination of flavours and the portion was of a good size, too - very good value for money. The poached eggs were just right, with the yolks flowing beautifully over the other ingredients. So, overall, good food at reasonable prices served by cheerful friendly staff, but a pity about the floor layout. We’ll certainly be back and will recommend No. 4 to others.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Arrived in Shrewsbury yesterday for a day out and of course checked TripAdvisor for a good place for lunch. For the first time, TripAdvisor let me down.

We ordered two coffees, eggs Benedict and the pulled pork bap.

The eggs Benedict was drowned in sauce and the bacon was pale and the whole thing was cold.

I took a bite out of my pulled pork bap and a flood of juices gushed down on my plate. By the time I had finished my soggy bap, there was a puddle of brown juice on my plate.

We told the lady who was very friendly and she knocked some money off the bill. It still cost over £14 because the pulled pork bap was £9. Walked away feeling I had wasted my money, which I hate.

The whole thing was disappointing and I'm still reeling that, for the first time, TripAdvisor pointed me towards a poor place to eat.

1  Thank MBison22
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We. ate here in the evening and were impressed. It's such a simple set up which made you feel so comfortable. The service was great, very cheery and genuine and the food second to none. Chorizo burger for me with real chips and steak for my wife, followed by sticky toffee pudding which was one of the best I have tasted. With a bottle of house red and coffee the bill was a little over £50, good value in our eyes. If ever in Shrewsbury again would come back here.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Me and my partner have visited this restaurant a couple of times and it was always a great time. Food is excellent and prices are quite low for such a nice service. Always polite and friendly members of stuff and calm atmosphere. Great place to eat!