“Beautiful Sunday Roast with local Meat - yummy”
Review of The Windmill Inn

The Windmill Inn
Ranked #26 of 358 Restaurants in Shrewsbury
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A traditional country pub with large beer gardens and stunning views. Serving home-cooked food and local ales with a warm welcome. Pet friendly
Chichester, United Kingdom
“Beautiful Sunday Roast with local Meat - yummy”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

The man needed intravenous caffeine after our drive up, so I installed him into a Cafe Nero in Shrewsbury, after checking into our cute Glamping Pod over in Crew Green. A few hours later and we both realised we needed to eat... only the man needed his Sunday Roast and nothing else was going to do.

So I flipped open the mobile and searched British Food on tripadvisor - the Windmill came up and it wasn't far from the camping site either. I phoned up too to make sure they were doing Sunday Roasts and spoke to a really great guy called Peter - the phone reception from me was rubbish but Peter was such a gentleman and managed to understand the language of Darlek (!) and booked us a table and assured us the roast was still being served - result.

This place is a real pub and the views outside are gorgeous. The owners are so friendly and very involved and the waitresses work really hard and remain cheerful. We had local Welsh Lamb and Shropshire Turkey roasts - we were given lots of meat which was tasty and succulent, as well as a lovely tray of veggies (including REAL cauliflower cheese, not that insipid stuff they serve at a cheap carvery). I had the cheese afterwards, which was a delight and was served with grapes and strawberries - the man had sticky toffee pudding with custard, the custard was sublime and you could taste the vanilla in it.

Peter sent us away happy and full and a desire to return again, thank you ! PS there are stacks of back copies of Country Life in the restaurant, which features Shropshire and Wales, which was lovely if, like us, you're new to the area.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Absolutely fantastic”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We ate here twice during a weekend away, on Saturday evening as family group with children and again the next day as the food was so good.

Between 8 of us we a good variety of the meals on the menu and a couple of childrens meals, each and every meal was gorgeous, everything tasted fresh and perfectly cooked.

The gammon was the biggest and most succulent I have ever tasted, the childrens meal were generous in size and equally as delicious as the adult meals.

The lamb with garlic and rosemary was one of the best meals I have ever had, generous slices of lamb, perfectly cooked with a great variety of vegetables.

The staff are extremely friendly and very welcoming and cannot do enough for you.

The prices are not cheap but you certainly get value for money as the quality is superb.

Definitely worth a visit, we will certainly go back

1 Thank Shazbazwyatt
Welshpool, United Kingdom
“cracking lunch”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Building looks great from the outside so after a quick review on trip advisor we decided on the spur of the moment to stop in for lunch. Nicely decorated but more like a house than a pub or restaurant. Menu is traditional worn a good range of specials. Advertises as local and home cooked. Would have been happier if free range had been mentioned on more than the eggs. We ordered Baked brie and crab cakes for starters. Both looked and tasted fabulous. Served on slate which is currently very fashionsble but I'm not a fan. I think food tastes better on china. For main course we had home made lasagne and a steak stack with 2 steaks Black pud, mushroom and tomato and chips. Again both looked and treated excellent. Hubby also managed to squeeze in walnut brownie and ice cream which was to die for. I wish I'd had room. 3.5n pints grolsch. All for £55. Can't argue with that

Ancaster, Canada
“Will make this an annual destination”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I visit the UK from Canada each year and have driven past this pub every year for over 40 years on my way from the Midlands for my "Welsh Fix" . I have never stopped for a meal at any restaurant or pub en route before, but travelling home with my elderly Mother and needing to stop for food, remembered "that pub on the hill at the bend in the road". It was a cold and rainy evening, and quite late, but the welcome we received on entering was genuine and as warm as the wonderful log fire burning in the inglenook fireplace.
The first impression was of the cleanliness of the bar area and well cared for furniture, old but polished. The ambience was just what I look for in a pub. The owner, Megan, was sitting by the fire and chatted with us as we waited for our meal. We learned that there has been a Windmill Pub on that spot for over 200 years, and been in the same family for over 100 years..
I ordered the roast beef dinner , which came on a hot plate, with delicious roast potatoes, rich gravy and crisp Yorkshire pudding. Fresh, steamed veggies were served separately and were perfectly cooked to my taste. (Broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and roast sweet potato wedges) Mum ordered poached sea bass,( which was served in a foil package) in a delicious sauce and veggies. We were both more than satisfied with quality and quantity of the food. The service was friendly and thoughtful with an element of humor! I also ordered trifle for dessert,
and although a little disappointed that it was not traditional home made , enjoyed it anyway. When I come back to the UK next year with my husband, we will definitely by visiting the Windmill . If you are looking for a friendly old pub with good food and varied menu, I recommend the Windmill whole heartedly.

• Visited April 2014
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Good pub food”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We went on a Saturday evening with our young children and had a nice time. The owners and staff are friendly and it is a proper old fashioned pub atmosphere. Big portions of nice quality pub food.

• Visited March 2014