“Great Value for money”
Review of Bistro Jacques

Bistro Jacques
Reserve with OpenTable
Bistro Jacques is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 361 Restaurants in Shrewsbury
Price range: US$13 - US$32
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Great Value for money”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Had a lunch with friends one Saturday. Lovely atmosphere and good food, very reasonable. Would certainly go back again.

• Visited June 2014

London
“Breakfast In The Sun”
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

I recently stopped by for a spot if breakfast before heading to the train.

The service was attentive and offered a table in the sun, which I gladly accepted. The waiter was accommodating and allowed me to order off the menu for a thoroughly enjoyable breakfast in the glorious Shrewsbury sunshine. Although the outside seating wasn't totally peaceful or quiet it was lovely to get the feeling of that laid back hustle and bustle of a beautiful market town.

Bistro Jacques, I look forward to meeting again, old friend.

“Lovely food & service”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We took a party of 6 people for my birthday. The Bistro had kindly sent a voucher by email for a free bottle of sparkling wine which was much appreciated! They were fairly busy (it was a Saturday) but I didn't think the service was much affected - drinks came quickly and the food is obviously cooked from fresh too. I had beef bourginon which was delicious!
Prices are reasonable here - lovely place to go for a treat. They do get very busy sometimes and it can be noisy, but then if you like a lively atmosphere it's fine. On another visit last year we were seated upstairs next to a very large party of about 15-20 people and this was a real downer as the tables had been crammed in around it and we were very cramped with people constantly squeezing past. Not an issue this time - seated downstairs. Overall the meal was lovely, the service was very pleasant, and excellent value.

• Visited July 2014
“Mixed feelings”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Loving French cuisine my wife & I dropped in for lunch @ £10.50 a head. We were quickly seated in a half empty restaurant in the most inconvenient place, every waiter & waitress had to pass our table. The waitress was good attentive but not overly so. However if you are vegetarian options are very limited, the starter had very little Feta cheese smothered with a bucketful of lettuce leaves. I had the chicken & black pudding, I counted 3tiny pieces of chicken and four even smaller pieces of black pudding once again smothered in lettuce. Although small the starters were tasty. Wine was served chilled.
Mains we both opted for Frittata with red pepper which was actually an omelette with 3 very small pieces of red pepper. We were disappointed and the food was dry so we requested extra dressing. This appeared and the oil had separated, we mentioned this it was neither changed for a fresh one or an apology offered. I was very disappointed with this. Puddings were ordered my wife opted for a crème brulee which to me should have a hot caramelized top, not so it was served cold prob straight from a box. The raspberry mousse with shortbread tasted manufactured too. All in all service at tables good, complaint management poor, chefs not one in sight! Would I go back No. You can do a lot better for 10.50 a head. On the other hand the restaurant was busy so perhaps you just need to cater more for vegetarians, by the way opt for veg not salad the portions are twice the size.

• Visited August 2014
“lunchtime ideal”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We have met several couples of friends recently for a midday meal at Bistro Jacques and there are several good points to note. First of all it is not expensive - around £10 for a three course meal! The menu changes regularly and always seems to encompass a fish dish, a vegetarian dish and a 'mainstream' dish none of which is particularly French despite the name. The food has been uniformly excellent, my favourites being the various pasta dishes on offer - carbonara, tagliatelle and all thefish options. My wife and companions have also been very pleased. The service is very good - not too speedy or overattentive. They are too busy with satisfied returning customers! For abudget price albeit on a limited menu this is a five star establishment.

• Visited July 2014