“Excellent for children”

Battlefield Falconry Centre
Ranked #1 of 80 things to do in Shrewsbury
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We took our two grandchildren and they enjoyed the visit very much. Our guide explained the various birds to our grandchildren in language that they understood

All reviews
"farm shop"
in 30 reviews
"two hours"
in 21 reviews
"would highly recommend a visit"
"interesting information"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Like many others who have rated this experience my birthday present was both unique and unforgettable. A history lesson on the Albrighton estate on the way to the woods, accompanied by Mark, "Buddy"the Harris Hawk and the two dogs this was a fantastic couple of hours, interesting, educational and amazing. Mark is a very good host, both personable and extremely knowledgable on both Falconry and the estate. We were very lucky as we booked during a "quiet" period during the week and had sole access, great if you can get it! If you are visiting the area this should be on your list of "to do's".

1  Thank HTBNth
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

Was given a present of a Halk Walk for my birthday as ive always wanted to do it. Staff were friendly and the sorrounding countryside was great. As for the walk itself, it was an amazing experience handling the Hawk, and to see the full power and presence of it in action was awesome. Would definatly reccomend Battlefield Falconry Centre if you want to try anything like this. Amazing day. Thank you. Dan

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We went on a trip to Battlefield Falconry Centre and upon arrival we were welcomed by a member of staff named Mark Southall. He was very welcoming and made me feel important because he was kind and understanding. He was very enthusiastic as he took us on a tour of the centre and a delightful Hawk Walk. Along with a Harris Hawk he brought a Cocker Spaniel and an English Pointer, they were very close and the animals were very obedient. He always answered our questions no matter how silly they were and we even had a chance to watch him feed baby snowy owls. Astounding!
As a school and doing a topic on flight we were pleased that we got to handle a few of the birds whilst the staff kindly told us a few facts in a way we could easily remember.
Many other things were available so you never ran out of stuff to do. For example there was the immaculate visitors centre the antiquated church and the cute farm animals. I felt like I was in a dream because I love animals and history.
I felt like royalty in the gift shop because it was very fancy. It was full of things for adults and children like magnets and key rings.
I would entirely recommend Battlefield Falconry Centre be4cause it is very interesting and an astounding place.
Megan B, Year 5

We visited Battlefield falconry centre on an amazing school trip. There were a variety of things to see and do and staff are very welcoming towards customers who have no experience of handling birds of prey. Battlefield falconry centre is educational. Mark the guide has a wide range of knowledge that we all found very intriguing.
The gift shop was amazing and provided a café, also a variety of gifts/souvenirs. I must say they are quite costly but definitely worth a look. There were so many amazing gifts for you take home. There were so many things to see mainly birds but also other animals such as, ferrets, goats, pigs, guinea pigs etc. The good thing about Battlefield falconry centre is that the guides have not only knowledge on birds but also other animals as well.
I would recommend Battlefield Falconry centre as it provides with educational/enjoyable experiences. We even got the opportunity to hold a Harris hawk and also experience the way a bird finds it’s prey.
Tiffra H, Year 6

Our class went on a trip to the amazing Battlefield Falconry Centre on Wednesday 11th June, not knowing what to expect. We were welcomed by Mark who took us around to see the beautiful birds. At first I was terrified because most of the birds were gigantic.

We toured the centre and we were told amazing facts about the birds which in my opinion were very interesting and made me want to do more research on the birds that I saw.

This centre has a lot of fun activities to do and amazing things to see. We went into the museum and saw the armour the knights would have worn. We also had an amazing opportunity to hold an owl that I thought was interesting because I saw the wonderful feathers. I was scared at first but then I got used to how the owl was standing.

Some pupils went into the gift shop and said it was a beautiful place but as a suggestion they could add some bird souvenirs.

I would definitely recommend that people visit here. It is a fantastic place that is fun and gives you the chance to learn about the birds and what they do.
Maelia G, Year 5

1  Thank ClassFourStEths
See more reviews
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

I was given a Christmas present if a Walk with a Hawk, it has to be the best value gift I have ever had... I went to the centre to be greeted by Mark who introduced me to the volunteer handler Tony, a quick ride to the beautiful ancient woodlands and my experience.. And what an experience.. I had a wonderful hour walking around the beautiful woodlands with a very knowledgable and informative handler and the magnificent Harris Hawk.. I won't divulge too much detail as I truly believe that it is a very personal experience, that being said the sight of a beautiful Hawk flying from the trees to your hand is one of the most wonderful. breathtaking and inspiring hours of my life.. I am totally hooked and will be doing it again.. I cannot recommend this highly enough.. Take the time to do this.. You will not regret it at all!!