“Fantastic morning at Battlefield Falconry Centre”

Battlefield Falconry Centre
Ranked #1 of 80 things to do in Shrewsbury
Reviewed 27 February 2017 via mobile

A huge thank you to Mark, Bud and Co for an absolutely amazing Saturday Morning.

It was something that I had wanted to do for such a long time, and was thrilled when my partner bought me this experience as a 50th birthday present. However my expectations were very much more than exceeded on the day, actually getting to fly 'Bud' the handsome Harris Hawk. And afterwards handling several truly stunning Owls.

Mark's knowledge of these amazing creatures is vast and is matched by his obvious passion for the subject.. I would thoroughly recommend this experience to anyone. my partner was actually a little apprehensive of handling the birds before we arrived ,but was soon put at ease by Mark who singled her out as a 'volunteer' to be first up of our group to fly Bud who is very gentle.

Even If you don't want the whole 'Hawk Walk' experience, I believe that you can pay a smaller entrance fee to just visit and view these beautiful birds. Although if you are looking for something special, Book the Bird Walk.

We both are looking forward to returning sometime soon.

A couple of tips.
Take some Wellies if visiting in Winter or walking boots any other time.
Book Direct with them. We got a good great package doing it that way

All reviews
"birthday present"
in 16 reviews
"farm shop"
in 30 reviews
"would highly recommend a visit"
in 10 reviews
"two hours"
in 21 reviews
"hour walk"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed 14 February 2017

I went along here to take photographs of the Owls in particular,for a creative project I'm embarking on. The weather was freezing so we had the keeper to ourselves and under the circumstances he was very generous with his time, sharing his knowledge. It is splendid to get up so close to these adorable birds. We saw fine specimen's of Owls from every Continent: European eagle owl, vermiculited African eagle owl, S.American Chaco owl, Asian Brown wood owl, Australian Boobook owl and these are just a handful of the examples on show. Obviously we also saw Hawks, but my attention was with the owls. It goes without saying that we also saw natives to the U.K. Namely the Tawny owl and the Barn owl. If you love birds, I recommend you make a visit, you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed 14 February 2017 via mobile

Just had the most wonderful morning with Mark and Rob. I booked the 2 hr experience which consisted of 1 hour hawk walk and 1 hour informative chat and handle.

It was truly wonderful. Mark is an incredibly knowledgable and friendly man and the love he has for his birds shows through. It was just me on the walk and I got to have Bud the Harris hawk fly to my hand lots of times and Mark even took a photo for me :D not forgetting the lovely dogs too! Especially Ruby!

The chat and hold with rob was equally interesting. Rib was full of facts and info about the birds and told me all about the evolutionary features of each owl. Fizz the barn owl and Boris the eagle owl were beautiful! There was another one who was so funny and I feel awful cause I've forgotten his name! He nibbled your finger he was so cute!

200% worth the £80 and experience I won't forget for a long time!

I will 100% be back when I'm next in Shropshire and I'm going to bring friends next time!

Thank you Mark and Rob!

Reviewed 13 February 2017 via mobile

Mark has such phenomenal knowledge of his birds and it was such a great experience learning from him. He brought the owls out for our group of four adult and one toddler - even brought out the biscuit tin for the toddler - and we all found it fascinating.

I'm already planning when me and some friends are going to do the Hawk Walk because that's bound to be an even better experience where Mark is involved.

What was actually just going to be a pitstop on a long journey was actually a really great memory that will stay with us. Couldn't thank Battlefield Falconry enough!

See more reviews
Reviewed 8 February 2017

Mark's Battlefield Falconry Centre is a must-see if you find yourself in the area. We visited after reaching the great reviews and weren't disappointed. Mark cares for over 50 birds of prey, including hawks, falcons, owls, parrots, a tarantula, a snake and 3 very funny dogs (including a pomeranian who hasn't been told he's not a lion). He treats these animals as though they are his children, heat lamps in their enclosures on cold nights, feeds them well and knows the distinct personality of each bird. And of course, they know him as well. Living in a big city, a hawk-walk experience is something I would have never thought to do. However, it was a surreal experience going for a long walk through beautiful woods with a large, intelligent hawk following us like a loyal puppy. I strongly recommend a day trip here for families with children, couples, adults, or any nature lovers out there. This is truly a nature lovers dream come true.