“This is what the British Farmer does best”
Review of Battlefield 1403

Battlefield 1403
Ranked #8 of 79 things to do in Shrewsbury
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“This is what the British Farmer does best”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Great selection of locally produced and good quality food - also good range of books and other gifts - perfect for those last minute ideas. Cafe serves wonderful food and the whole experience leaves you with a feeling of having visited a place that has taken a lot of trouble over every aspect of customer care.
A great showcase for local food producers. Keep up the good work

Visited June 2014

Dudley
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Cafe = poor service, Other parts = good”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We stopped off at Battlefield 1403 on our way to Sunday lunch at a nearby hotel. The main reason for the visit was the farm shop, but we also decided to stop off fora coffee at the cafe.

Because it was a nice day all of the outside tables were taken at the cafe. We therefore made our way indoors and found a table to sit at. All we want was a couple of drinks and a cake. We quickly made our decision for drinks and went to the till to order and to choose a cake. When we were there we were told that it was waitress service indoors and someone would come to take our order. They would not take our order at the till.

I have no problem with this, however those sat outside do not get waitress service and have to order at the till. By the time someone had come to take our order (over 5 minutes and us having asked), 3 orders had been taken at the till, so their order was in front of ours. We then waited 15 minutes for a coffee, a bottled drink and a slice of cake. This I feel is unacceptably slow for such a small order.

The farm shop was much better in my opinion. There is a range of fresh fruit and veg, a deli counter and a butcher's counter. Along with this there is a selection of dry products and a small gift section. The prices are reasonable compared with similar outlets and the meat provides good value for meal for the quality you are getting. I came away having spent just over £15 on 3 cheeses, 2 trays of sausage, some fudge, a couple of jars of chutney and some bread. Not bad for a farm shop.

There is also a small exhibition on site which is free. This tells the story of the Battle of Shrewsbury. The exhibition seems well organised and informative, although given how long we waited at the cafe we didn't get too long here.

Visited June 2014
England
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“A nice outing meal”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Beautiful surrounding and scenery, quality food with fresh ingredients from the farm. Always packed esp weekends.

Visited March 2014
Chester
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“A GREAT FIND”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Called in for lunch by chance on the way to a nearby hotel in Albrighton. There's a farm shop, a deli, The Sparrows cafe, a free and very interesting exhibition about the battle of Shrewsbury, 1403, a falconry (entrance fee), and is set in very peaceful shropshire fields with lovely cows being very nosey. We sat outside in the sun and had homemade quiche, chunky chips and salad, beautifully prepared and very tasty. We returned the following morning for breakfast and had free range poached eggs, toast made with granary bread, preserves, butter, and pots of tea, sitting outside in the morning sunshine. Quite idyllic. Everything is fresh, top quality and all very reasonably priced. Definitely one to remember. Highly recommended!

Visited May 2014
1 Thank holdyourforkproperly
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Lovely fresh food”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I took my niece out for Lunch as a treat as she had passed her driving test that morning .I decided to take her for lunch to the Battlefields 1403 Sparrows café .We arrived at 12.15 lunch was well underway , we fell luck and a table for two had just been vacated . we had a lovely lunch from the wrap menu , I had a tuna melt plus a Latte , my niece had a Ham Hock with a side portion of chips plus a diet coke , it was all lovely and fresh very very tasty , it came to £17.30 . I thought it was worth it for the quality of the food , the staff where very nice all of them ,If I was going again with a friend I would book in advance as there where people waiting for tables . I would go back .

Visited May 2014