“Amazing! Warm, friendly and helpful.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Station Hotel

and 1 more site!
Station Hotel
Ranked #41 of 55 Shrewsbury B&B and Inns
Benson, England, United Kingdom
“Amazing! Warm, friendly and helpful.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2013

After hours of searching the web for a place to stay I found The Station Hotel, literally across the road from the train station and 5 minuets from town this hotel is in the perfect location! I would recommend this hotel to anyone that wishes to stay in the area as Stelios is lovely and can never do enough to help anyone. I was travelling alone and booked a single room which when I arrived had been upgraded for free to a double. The food was amazing and Stelios was always up for a chat. It is a very family oriented business, I even met and conversed with his mum on several occasions. When I needed help finding anything Stelios went out of his way to help. I can't recommend this place enough. When I next visit Shrewsbury I will undoubtedly be staying here.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, ask Stelios for a room in the middle of the hotel, as I found it was the...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo

1 Thank Jennifer P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Darlington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

This hotel was fabulous we just stayed the one night . Room was spotless clean and was perfect size and everything staff were so helpful and friendly they would do anything to help. The hotel is based right opposite train station and right next to town centre which was great. Nothing bad to say I would recommend it to anyone I am travelling back to this hotel next month. Keep up the good work

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends

Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2013

Nice clean room with lovely shower. Furnitures are new and decorations are great. Its location is very near to the railway station and the tourist spot of Shrewsbury castle, but sadly the castle is closed in Winter. The staff was so friendly to provide a printing material of local museum service and an extension of stay free of charge because the bad weather. However, the street seemed very busy over that night, it was not quiet all the time so didn't sleep very well.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2013

Just stayed the night at the Station Hotel, if you are looking for a great welcome, cleanliness, a place where everything works, a decent breakfast, and the people are helpful and friendly then this is the place. Tastelful decor too and it is all new.

It is excellent value, right in the heart of Shrewsbury. Note that at the price, don't expect a massive room or expensive fixtures and fittings (more Ikea/Argos quality than Selfridges). There are other places in Shrewsbuty that can provide hugh rooms and expensive furniture, but these are more than double the price.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2013

Stayed here for one night as a solo traveller, for a night out. Room was spotlessly clean, welcome was friendly and for the price couldn't ask for any more.

Will return whenever I night an overnight stay in Shrewsbury. Plenty of on-street parking available near the prison and station car park if staying overnight and moving car before restrictions come into effect (roughly 8am to 6pm)

Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
WEST MIDLANDS
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2013

One night stay only but very comfortable and would stay there again. Very nice full English breakfast. Very friendly staff,overnight parking round corner on railway car park (100 meters from hotel) £4.20 for 24 hours.

• Stayed December 2012

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2012

I am a resident of Shrewsbury and we had the pleasure of a visit from a Italian freind this week-end, I looked on line to find suitable accommodation, as our guest was travelling by train, The Station Hotel Looked to be the perfect accommodation. HOW WRONG I WAS. The hotel is not as stated Fully Open at all, Infact quite the opposite.

I met our guest on his arrival and walked with him to the near-by Hotel, we were met by the owner who not only, did not take any details of the guest, asked if there was any requirements such as breakfast the following morning or offer any infomation about the hotel or the surroundin area, he thrust a sub standard Key into his hand, left him to carry his own overnight bag an marched off infront to a first floor single room.

The room although a little on the small side, looked clean and adequate for the one night stay.
The owner pointed out the "KEY" fitted the allocated room and also a side passage door for out of hours access.

After a good night out we deivered our guest back to his hotel in a shared taxi and continued our short journey home.
Some 20 minutes later we we called by staff at the Public House next to the Station to tell us our guest had arrived in their bar and was unable to gain access to the FULLY OPEN HOTEL the Sub-Standard Key that had earlier been thust into our guest's hand, had snapped in the lock as he was trying to open the door in an unlit doorway, and he was unable to gain entry.

Many phone calls were made to the hotel number supplied on the keyring by Local Police , the helpfull Staff of the Albion Vaults and myself as you can guess there was no answer to any of them, i doubt that the FULLY OPEN HOTEL was even manned by anybody.

With the kind help of the staff at the Albion Vaults we were able to find additional accommodation out of town, costing a further £26.00 in taxi fares plus the cost of the room.
our guest also had to spend a night in a unfamilliar area with no overnight personal possessions as they were still at the inaccessible unmanned Fully open hotel.

I collected my guest from his overnight stay an returned to the Station Hotel to collect his possessions from his room.
After explaining the occurence to the owner on our arrival we were not offered any explanation why the hotel was left unattended or any form of appollogy for the inconvienience, further more we were not offered any form of reduction or refund for the unused room.

These sort of people should not be allowed to opperate in our town,
My advice to anyone looking at staying here would be to get off this page and look for a well organised establishment with owners who know the requirements of residents and don't need to tell lies about being Fully Open.

Bev Bond
Coton Hill

Room Tip: There are many places to stay in our lovley historic town, i chose the wrong one,
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank BevBond
Stelios K, Owner at Station Hotel, responded to this review, 5 January 2013
Having just seen this review and being taken aback with some of the comments made, I would like the opportunity to clarify any misunderstandings or misinterpretations.

I would firstly like to emphasise that we are fully open, as in that all 3 elements of the hotel are now open to customers, i.e., the rooms, the bar and the bistro restaurant. 'Fully Open' does not mean 'Open 24x7' which, having read this review, believe that this is how the customer has interpreted it.

Although we do not have a night porter as it is only a small hotel, we do have someone living on premises who is available by calling the hotel telephone number. On the evening in question, he did see 2 missed calls (not 'many' as stated) shortly after they were made, but assumed that they were not urgent as no messages were left. We only became aware of the situation when Mr. Bond called the following morning.

When the booking was made, breakfast was offered and I was told by Mr. Bond that he would discuss it with his friend and let me know if it was required. I also find it rather strange that Mr. Bond would require information on the surrounding area when he is, by his own admission, resident of Shrewsbury, and we had already established in conversation that they were going to watch Shrewsbury Town FC and then go for a meal, and he and his son accompanied him when he checked in and they then all left together.

In addition, I did offer to take the customer's bag to which I was told "No, it's OK". The 'sub standard key' was, in fact, a brand new key and when I showed it to the locksmith when I went to get additional keys cut as a result of the broken key, was informed that the only way the key could be snapped in that manner would be "by exerting extreme and unnecessary force".

As for the room being 'unused', it was apparent upon inspection that the shower had been used as there were wet towels, and the bed had, in fact, been slept in.

I was apologetic and sympathetic with the customer for the situation, but assumed that the customer did not apportion blame with the hotel from the conversation that we had in the morning, especially when he offered to pay for the key to be replaced, to which I refused to accept any payment.

I can understand the customer's frustration with the situation, but I find it disappointing that the customer would attempt to lay all the blame with the hotel and exaggerate and fabricate the facts in this review.

We are a new hotel and are constantly trying to improve all aspects of our business for our customers. As a result of this experience, all calls made to the hotel out of hours are now returned regardless of whether a message has been left or not. We pride ourselves on giving the best service possible and feel that this is genuinely demonstrated by looking at our reviews on booking.com.