“Well Situated”

Ranked #41 of 55 Shrewsbury B&B and Inns
Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom
“Well Situated”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

We had a two night weekend stay in March
The Station is very convenient for the town centre and parking. The Decor of our room was tasteful, modern, well furnished and clean also provided in the room were tea and coffee making facilities, the windows however would benefit from secondary double glazing in order to alieviate road noise and draughts, The shower curtain and rail required replacing, I would suggest with a cubical and a none slip mat or grips in the shower tray would be advisable. Had it not been for these issues we ould have rated the room excellent.
We did decline a full english breakfast at a special offer price of £7.50 so cannot comment on the quality or value for money.
The Host was pleasant and provided us with a local map and parking information.
The price was about average for this kind of b&b but would be very good value if these issues are addressed.
Having stated all that we did have a pleasant stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

The Station is a budget hotel which is central, clean and welcoming. it's very easy to find, and we parked behind the station from where it's a short 5 minute walk to the hotel. The hotel is on the main road, and as we were at the front of the hotel on a Saturday night we had to deal with the noise. The hotel doesn't have double glazing, so it really was very loud - people leaving pubs in the early hours, motorbikes and ambulances all came past, which unforrunately did mean for a poor night's sleep. I can't fault the pricing of the hotel or location - but the noise was too much for me.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Oakville, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

Obviously being directly across from the station this place is very convenient for travel. Not the greatest area of Shrewsbury but a short walk to better pubs and restaurants. The rooms are recently renovated and while a little compact are great for an overnight stay or two. Yes the place does close up from time to time but you are given a key to the "alternate" front door so access really shouldn't be an issue. Yes the shower facilities (curtains) could be improved - in fact the bathrooms are very "compact", a couple of extra towels would be great. But really the place does make an effort and I'd recommend it for short stays particularly if proximity to the station is important. It was typically cool when I stayed and had to crank the radiator up.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Newbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

We stayed here this week for one night only. Host was very helpful offering directions to the eateries thought nothing of it at the time. We got back at 8.30 my husband went straight up and I went over to the Station to collect some info.
When I got back I found the whole place was locked up and there was no door bell. I had to stand out in the Street until my husband realised something was wrong and came to find me. Was only a few minutes but the Station area is not a nice place, several vagrants hanging around + your token drunk !
I was pretty scared and my husband was livid.
What Hotel/Bar/Bistro - written on the front of the building not only shuts at that time of night and does not bother to tell their guests ?
If anything had happened to me - well answer that yourself.

Room Tip: Choose a hotel that is actually open !!!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JackieEdmonds
StelGreco, Owner at Station Hotel, responded to this review, 15 March 2014
Jackie,
Firsty, I would like to apologise for your experience and having to wait outside.
We had issues with equipment in the cellar that evening and I had to deal with it as a matter of urgency. As I was the only person working the bar, I decided to close early and attempt to rectify the problem. I did take the phone with me but I guessing you would have called your husband had you had a mobile with you.
I am a little shocked, however, that this is the first that I have heard of the incident though. Nothing was mentioned when checking out of the hotel in the morning, but I find out via this review!
Regardless of how you chose to communicate this, all I can do is again apologise and hope that it didn't spoil your stay with us.
Hexham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

Very good service at this family- run hotel.

It is located very close to the train station, so ideal if you want to choose green travel. The owner helped me get my very heavy case outside as I was about to leave - without his keener sense of time and willingness to help, I'd have missed my train!

Owner particularly diligent about guest comfort; I could hear a "buzzing" sound from a machine during the first night; the owner got up in the early hours to locate the source, discovered what it was and tackled the problem. This took him some time, but he was determined to eradicate the problem; a less attentive hotelier would not have gone to such trouble.

Good communication prior to stay - I emailed with one or two queries, and the reponses were prompt and polite.

The room and public areas were all clean and the decor bright and fresh.

Hotel very convenient for city centre, a pleasant walk past the castle takes guests onto the central street.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Salisbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

Stayed here on business for 1 night during the weekday. This hotel was located incredibly centrally, directly opposite the train station. This is perfect if you are commuting by train, but not as easy if you are arriving via car; the nearest long stay car park is on the opposite side of the station. We were able to pull into a nearby on street layby, which was free from 6pm-8am (behind the hotel building). If you needed to pay it was £1.60/hour.

The hotel itself has benefited from a wonderfully modern renovation, which has kept many of the period features of the building intact (the front door to the hotel has some beautiful woodwork). The room was simply furnished but included a en-suite with a wonderfully hot shower, a LCD free-view TV and tea/coffee making facilities. The bed itself was very comfy provided a good nights sleep! There were a several different rooms available including double rooms and singles. A quick browse on the laptop found that there was indeed Wi-Fi for the hotel, but I did not find out the code in time to use it.
The host of the hotel was incredibly helpful, finding storage space to keep our oversize equipment which did not involve moving it up several flights of stairs! He was also incredibly kind and helped us carry our other baggage to our rooms too!
The hotel was fantastically quiet inside, however the windows overlooking the station to the front were rather loud, and traffic/trains could be heard! Overall I enjoyed my stay here and would recommend to anyone needing a place to stay close to the station! Thank you!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the station are a bit noisy due to traffic and trains
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Archaeologygirl
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

As 2 couples staying over for a football match, we booked into the Station Hotel. Parking is available in the station long stay car park 250 metres away. The hotel itself is convenient for train / bus station and access to the town centre. The owner provided local knowledge and advice which was much appreciated.
The bar is of a winebar format. Anyone wanting traditional pubs have an ample selection in every direction.
The rooms whilst small are clean and have comfortable beds. The showers have ample HOT water. The breakfast is a paid for extra but of very good quality.

We would return here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends