“Trendy but poor”

Price range: US$14 - US$42
Cuisines: American, British
Good for: Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We are a family run Cocktail bar in Shrewsbury town centre, near local amenities and transport. Offering an impressive back bar, friendly service and a wacky food menu to boot. We also feature: Accommodation, Private Dining, Function Rooms, Work Spaces, Meeting Rooms and Facilities for larger parties i.e. weddings or birthdays.
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I joined a group of friends here last week. First impressions were ok as it was clear it had been refurbished recently as it was a right dive previously. However the smell as we entered suggested they need to clean more often and to a higher standard.

We had reserved a table upstairs for 8 people. The table was ok but not ideal for a large group being lots of small tables pushed together it meant that it could have been more comfortable by not sitting astride the table legs and the tables wobbled on the uneven floor.

The service was slow by the waiter who was dressed as if he had just finished an afternoons busking on Pride Hill as a tramp. Long hair held up with an Alice band together with a pair of bracers and jeans that made the bracers seem ineffective.
Eventually he took the order for the starters which took 40 minutes to arrive and still managed to not bring out one starter which was ordered which then took another 20 minutes.
At the point where the main courses were to come to be served he pointed out that two of the dishes we ordered had been sold out! Why this could not have been pointed out over and hour before when we ordered I don't know.

Eventually the main courses arrived. But still the sauce for the steak was another ten minuites later.... At his point we had not been asked if we wanted another drink after the first one when we arrived over 1 hour before even though the table was full of empty glasses. Eventually we were asked if we wanted another drink, but not until we were all as dry as Ghandis flip flop. What a missed profit opportunity on their part....

We did have a reduction to the bill to compensate the absolutely abismal service which would have been better if we had been served by a spotty teenager at McDonalds. However this is was not the point. The food was good, but the service let it down. I would have much rather gone to a pub which was dated and had better service than a place which relied on appearing a trendy place to be seen in with shocking service. But I guess this what you can expect today when all you employ are students who don't appear to care and are unsupervised by someone more experienced.
I will not visit again or recommend to any of my friends.

5  Thank hlw955
James-ALB, General Manager at The ALB, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2014

I am sorry to hear about your experience in the ALB. I would like to give a run down of the evening experience on the whole.

Your first complaint seems to be that your tables were pushed together. You were sat in our restaurant where we only have tables of four on the evening in question so two tables being pushed together doesn't seem to unusual to me.

I do have to say I feel you took a personal dislike to our staff member who did everything he could to accommodate you. I feel you are getting a little personal with comments such as:

"was dressed as if he had just finished an afternoons busking on Pride Hill as a tramp"

I encourage my staff to dress in their own style. This is not your standard chain bar we are a small family run company and want to express how individual our staff members are and Jeans and Braces is a reflection of his personality.

We have a very modern till system and booking system that logs ticket times and drink times. I think you may have confused the wait times in between the courses as the times in and our state that the starters cam out after a reasonable 15 minutes and the mains followed by a 15 minute gap.

You also complained about not being asked for additional drinks. As I was the other member of staff serving your table I am 100% sure that I came to your table an additional 3 times to ask for further drinks orders only to be ignored at every turn. I think this also solves your complaint as to unsupervised staff.

As to your bill, we took all of the steaks off (even though there was only a problem with one steak) thus giving you a reduction of more than 25%.

I feel we did everything we could to ensure you had a good dining experience and I really wished you had asked for me personally on the night as I would have happily come and sorted any problems in person at any time, however, all of this taken into consideration I understand that your experience was not up to the standard of the other diners we have had in the past if there is anything I can do please contact me via james@thealb.co.uk

Regards James

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Love The Alb, great atmosphere and fantastic service!!! Haven't eaten there yet so can't comment... Beautiful cocktails though :-D

2  Thank Punkii4
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Had a weekend away in Shrewsbury last week, and came to this place for an evening meal. It was perfect as the food was excellent. We sat upstairs as that was the restaurant for this place, the downstairs was really a lively bar, especially at night. Overall, we had a very enjoyable night with a lovely meal, and great atmosphere. The staff were also so friendly the whole time as well. So we would come back to this place, if revisit Shrewsbury in the near future.

2  Thank nbruce62
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

My Girlfriend, my son and I went for a meal, he got to eat for free and my girlfriend and I had two burgers for £12! We were expecting ok food but the food we got was worth much more than the cost!
Although not on the menu the Bartender made us all some smoothies! Really fresh and great atmosphere, this place has really got it right.

1  Thank harriddc
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I was strolling around the wonderful town of Shrewsbury when I felt a bit peckish. I approached The ALB lounge bar. It looked so inviting so I decided I would have a spot of lunch.

Upon entering, the atmosphere was excellent, the decor was unique and stylish and I was welcomed by a polite gentleman with a smile.

He gave me a menu and asked if I would like a drink. I went with a fruit smoothie, which was refreshing and tasteful.

After browsing the bar menu which had plenty of variety I decided to have the classic burger served with onion rings, chunky chips, salad and coleslaw.

The food was mourish, well cooked, well presented and I ate every single bite with satisfaction. The portion size was more than adequate and filled me nicely.

The same gentleman approached me to ask me if everything was alright with my meal. It was perfection.

After finishing up and paying for my food I felt completely satisfied. Before leaving I asked the gentleman's name who made my dining experience even better. He replied "Dan".

I would highly recommend The Alb for the food and a pleasant dining experience.

Also, thank you to Dan who was very professional and welcoming. I will be coming back!!

2  Thank 3lm4c