“Part of the Family”

Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Shrewsbury
Barnsley
“Part of the Family”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2008

Well what can I say, but fantasic! I have stayed in the Albright Hussey Manor now for the last 6 weeks due to relocation of job. The grounds and hotel are a rare treat and they have to be experienced. I have found the staff to be very friendly and professional. The food for me as been an experience that I have found to be most enjoyable and I can say I have completed all the menu's. The rooms are always kept clean and fresh and are very comfortable. The General Manager and the family who own this hotel have made me feel that I am part of there family and team, which as made my time away from my family alot easier.

All I can say is a big thank you to the team at the Albright Hussey Manor.

• Liked — The Staff
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2008

I stayed here on business and will definitely be coming back with my wife. First and foremost excellent customer service from friendly, welcoming staff. (I know what I'm talking about ,as I train people in customer service). Combine this with a clean, comfortable room and a truly charming setting and you have a refreshing change from the norm. The hotel is family owned and you can tell this from the general atmosphere, no "hotel chain" rules and proceedures. One simple example of this is the sherry decanter on the reception desk, should you fancy a(complementry) tipple as you check in after your journey.
The resturant was excellent, intimate and decorated in the period. I recommend the glazed pork.

Well worth a visit.

• Liked — Friendly atmosphere
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2008

This hotel is set in a beautiful location and looks stunning. I have stayed in both its new wing and its older traditional rooms and found them to be very comfortable. The older rooms have all the character you would expect from a tudor building. The hotel is family owned and run, and this shows in the level of service which is second to none. From the general manager to the waiting staff the people here are some of the most friendly and helpful I have experienced. As a vegetarian I was extremely well catered for, the chef created a new menu for me each night! The wine list is excellent. Access to a very nice fitness club is provided free. As a business user I was also pleased to find that wireless access was provided free.

• Liked — The staff
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank Jedam
Colwyn Bay
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2007

Having spent two nights at the hotel we have come to the conclusion that it is a superb place to dine, but not to stay.

Our room in the annexe was not particularly clean, the carpet grubby which was unexpected. The bed was hard and the pillows flat foam. We enquired if there were any other pillows only to be told that there were no other options owing to allergies. A newer pillow would have made all the difference!

Dinner was delicious, the staff friendly and helpful. However breakfast was a let down. Definitely not fresh orange juice, chewey sliced bread toast and a lacklustre english breakfast.

The manager was friendly and funny and our stay would have been very different if more attention was paid to guest's rooms.

• Liked — Dinner
  • Disliked — Our room and the terrible coffee!
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Gegs1
Queensland, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2007

We stayed here 2 nights and found the building and gardens as beautiful as the photographs although our room was in the modern extension. We found the reproduction furniture and decor a harsh contrast to the genuine Grade II listed 16th Century building. Staff were friendly and pleasant but we were made to feel unwelcome when we sat at one table for breakfast only to be told it was reserved when there was no reservation notice on it. If you like a full English breakfast ( i.e. fry up) then you would be happy, but we would have liked to have had more fresh fruit and healthy alternatives such as bread and jams from the local area - not packaged jams and cereals. This hotel pretended to be something it wasn't. Classy.

• Liked — The 16th Century part of the building
  • Disliked — The reproduction furniture and paintings
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank OzTravellers44
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2007

Stayed in their annexe - this was the worst hotel room I have ever stayed in:
- cold
- no curtains or proper blinds on skylight windows
- uncomfortable bed that creaked everytime you moved
- paper-thin walls through which you could hear everything
- poor bedding - no duvet

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Staying there
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled on business
4 Thank SpiderTiger
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2007

We went to stay at the Hussey as a relaxing get-away before our wedding. We stayed in the Royalist Suite which was extremely large and had a great jacuzzi bath. It was a beautiful room with lovely views and we could not have been more happy with it.

The staff were all very friendly and hospitable, and we were dealt with efficiently.

We had dinner in the restaurant. The food was not up to the standard one would have expected from the rest of the hotel, or the prices. We had a nice drink with some good olives in the rather Fawlty Towers-esque looking bar. Dinner was un-imaginative and over-cooked. It wasn 't awful, it just wasn't what we were expecting!

Stay here but eat somewhere else!

• Liked — Fantastic room
  • Disliked — Dinner
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Nonamesorry
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shrewsbury
Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa
Rowton Castle
Rowton Castle
#1 of 1 in Halfway House
The Lion Hotel Shrewsbury by Compass Hospitality

Been to Albright Hussey Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!