“great time with friends”

Albright Hussey Manor Hotel
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Shrewsbury
Cannock
“great time with friends”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

stayed here on travel zoo voucher for eight course meal, booking in was very friendly, room comfortable watched ruby in lounge very nice. Meal was super all courses were of high standard very well presented waiting on staff were very friendly, super served breakfast. very enjoyable overnight stay , our second time and wont be the last.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank normskidabble

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

I was on a business stay so didn't get the chance to really appreciate this hotel however, it was comfortable, clean and all the staff I came into contact with were very friendly and helpful. Would certainly stay again.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank NMCK1987
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We booked an overnight dinner, bed and breakfast deal on one of the social deal sites.

The weather was so bad that we did not look around the outside of the building. As you approach, the old house frontage is spectacular, but the majority of the hotel appears to be a modern annex.

The reception is welcoming and the lady on reception was pleasant and efficient. We were quickly shown to our room. This was comfortable, clean and tidy. The shower in the bathroom was excellent. No complaints about the room at all.

Down stairs in the main reception area and the stairs to bedroom corridor, there is a strange smell....don't know if there has been a spillage in the past.. a slight musty smell.

There was enough places to sit and read or watch television, or sit and chat in the bar area.
Old fashioned decoration, that gave the areas a cosy and comfortable feel.

We found the the bar and restaurant staff very likeable and gave good service.

The gourmand meal was delicious and good value for money.

Overall a very enjoyable stay. Would definitely stay there again, especially if part of a deal.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Happywanderer243
manchester
Reviewed 6 February 2014

arrived yesterday evening and staying tonight also. wanted a change from the premier inn type scene, and on arrival I was straight away transported into the old style traditional hotel that I wanted. staff who were obviously determined to treat a guest well, chain hotels do not always manage this. honestly such good service I feel so much more relaxed than I have ever done in a chain hotel, no conveyer belt concept here. lovely service in the restaurant, the Rioja is amazing - for anyone wanting a nice glass of wine.the decor well it's a bit dated but somehow that is very relaxing for a business visitor, I won't say home from home as this is a lovely hotel with room service, power shower and the nicest manager I have had the pleasure to meet for some years, a true hotel welcome provided.To be able to sit in the cocktail bar very comfortably at the end of a working day, on my own and feel like a guest who is cared for, is worth the stay alone, again this would never happen in a chain hotel for me I would feel too uncomfortable. I would recommend giving the Albright a visit, I'm going to miss my cosy room and as I have never wanted to make that comment before,there must be something about the Albright Hussey. oh yes there is free wifi in all areas, great choice of tv channels, very comfortable bed, Abundance of pillows, filter coffee in the room, ... but one request would be more bathroom toiletries to soak in the bath with please, that would be the icing on the cake for a weary business lady.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Albright H, Manager at Albright Hussey Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the lovely comments. I belive you were in room 19? Let us know next time you are staying and we will make sure there is extra bathroom toiletries in your room and Rioja waiting in the bar.

Kind Regards,

The Albright Hussey Manor
Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Absolutely beautiful building but let down by the adjoining bedroom block which had the most appalling smell. Don't expect an array of quality toiletries though as we were only provided with shampoo and shower gel. Bedrooms were adequate but in need of updating - flimsy old-fashioned curtains etc.
The staff are very friendly and helpful perhaps even over-friendly as I did not want to hear continuous chatter from the waiter whilst eating my breakfast. Just wanted to be left in peace! Coffee on our first morning was undrinkable so decided to have tea on 2nd morning. Thought I would risk the coffee on the 3rd morning and it was delicious!
On our first evening we went out for dinner and when we returned we couldn't park and had to go into the overflow car park which had no lighting and no indication as to which direction to walk to the hotel. It was freezing cold, dark and pouring with rain and was a fair walk. It seems there was an event on at the hotel that evening which was why we had difficulty parking. Perhaps a dedicated parking space for each hotel guest would be in order to prevent spaces being taken by people who are not staying overnight.
We ate in the restaurant on our final night and it was very good indeed. I should add that we were told we couldn't eat in the dining room on our first evening as there was a birthday party being held that night. We were informed of this by phone the previous day but another couple we met didn't find this out until they arrived. If you want a nice hotel for a quiet break then check first that there are no weddings or other events taking place.

Room Tip: Best rooms are in main part of hotel but other guests we met complained about the noise coming from...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2014

We booked an afternoon tea for a special birthday treat. We had thick cups, tea bags of very tasteless tea, Nice sandwiches but mainly smoked salmon, so only 2 out of 5 guests ate them, very dry, shop bought scones and what tasted like squirty cream (certainly not clotted cream or good thick double cream ) tiny jars of Tiptree jam, left from breakfast no doubt, and the jam had separated into liquid & solid. An eye bath of sherry each & one gin & tonic came to £80+ I wish we had stayed at home.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Karen N
Albright H, General Manager at Albright Hussey Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 2 March 2014
Dear guest.
Having investigated the comments you made I am somewhat at a loss .The lady who booked the afternoon tea was contacted by phone and assured me that she had no complaints what so ever about the service or the quality of the food .Therefore I would with the greates of respect suggest that you contact me at the hotel and we can discuss the matter further .Malcolm (general manager)
Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 January 2014

My husband and I got married here in September 2013 so we do have a soft spot for the Albright Hussey but with good reason. It is a beautiful tudor manor house full of charm and is extremely cosy and welcoming. The staff are all fantastic but special mention must go to Malcolm who is an absolute sweetheart and always makes us feel extremely welcome. Our latest visit was on the 28th December 2013 and as always, we had an excellent stay. The food on the evening was delicious and the full English breakfast was lovely. I would highly recommend the Albright Hussey to anyone.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple