“Really nice hotel in the country side”

Albright Hussey Manor Hotel
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Shrewsbury
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Took a while to find it as my sat nav didn’t like the location. Upon leaving the road and following the lane down to the building you’re greeted by a wonderful old English building, which upon leaving the car and walking up to the reception area is even better with the garden and water area with bird life.
The building is split into two the historic and modern I stayed in both.
The modern is decorated well and had good views over the abundant farm land which was great as they were preparing the ground. The bed was comfortable and amenities such as bath/shower etc as expected. The room in the old building was very atmospheric, wood beams, lead windows, four poster`, furniture etc. The bath room was great very floral. The view was over the garden and water feature . Bar was small but fits in well with the building and restaurant well decorated with two main areas and smaller alcoves. Evening meals were good Calves liver, steaks etc (though would have liked a steak knife) Cheese board wonderful and a good selection of red wines
There is a very enthusiastic manager who really helps make the place along with the other very attentive staff.
The walk from the hotel to the nearby church and battle grounds was really relaxing and if you push a little further on there’s a coffee shop and farm shop with livestock all worth a look.
The whole old place ouses old country England in the times around the Tudors.

Room Tip: Just for the feel of the place stay in the old building
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 17 April 2014

I booked to stay in this hotel because I wanted a special hotel preferably with historic content, lovely peaceful surroundings, tasteful and with a fantastic restaurant with good service and friendly professional staff. I was not disappointed, from the beautiful exterior, gardens and moat with the black swans to the classically opulent decor and sitting rooms ( a lovely bar to sit and have a drink). Our room was no 12 and overlooked the entrance to the building . It was a good size room with a large bathroom (the toilet was a bit old and the bottom of the bath a bit worn, but it was very clean and did not bother me ) the bed was very comfortable and we had a very peaceful sleep. The views from the window were nice.. The food was of a very high standard. Malcolm the manager and his staff are a credit to this tasteful hotel. For very special occasions the suites are a must as I had a peek at one of them. We stayed in March but would like to return in summer time as it would be lovely to sit in the gardens and have a drink after dinner. If you have class and taste stay here, if you do not stay at the Travelodge.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank crusadingblondie
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I could not fault the wondrous setting of this beautiful period building on the northern outskirts of Shrewsbury. Romantic, dreamy, and delightful. The dining and reception rooms are truly gorgeous, and everything is beautifully presented. The staff are friendly and warm.

Howevever, after being promised fantastic views of the Shropshire countryside (which are there, I assure you!) I was allocated Room 25 which is at the end of what feels like an annexe, although I'm assured it is very much part of the hotel. The room was very nice, would have been a bit tight for two, but the point is that from the window the view was over the car park. Cars were parked within inches of my only window and the countryside was pretty much obscured. The walls were the constituency of cardboard and I could hear everything from the room next door, in fact was awakened at 6.30am by loud sounds from the bathroom ..... which were not pleasant.
I was assured that there were 'truly lovely' rooms elsewhere in this 'annexe', as I was checking out, which didn't make up for my lack of sleep due to the noises from the adjoining room. Plus horrible lumpy pillows. It really felt as though I were in a cheap boarding house.
This was a shame as the evening had been delightful, lovely restaurant, good food, and excellent service. Unfortunately I discovered that my glasses of Sauvignon Blanc were charged at £10.50 each. Outrageous! Being told prices were displayed on the wine list was not good enough. Residents do not sign for drinks and I suggest that when you go to the bar and ask for a glass of white wine you ask to be advised of the exceedingly high prices and few choices. Shame. I do hate to be exploited.

Room Tip: Request a room in the main hotel on an upper floor. The walls should be thicker and the view pretti...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Gillyscarlett
Reviewed 2 April 2014

On arrival to this hotel the reception girl was very polite and helpful,the room was spotless and well decorated. The restaurant was excellent the food was so tasty and all the waiters were very good at there job. Then the trouble started we were woken up at 3.15 am by the sound of a water cistern constantly filling up from the room next door.this totally spoilt our night.breakfast was buffet style which was ok. We would have got a better nights sleep at the travelodge down the rd at a lot cheaper price!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul Y
Reviewed 9 March 2014

The Albrighton Hussey Manor Hotel is a beautiful old building set in gorgeous gardens, definitely worthy of a special occasion. We had a standard room for which we paid £95 a night, a fair amount for this part of the country. The bed was very comfortable, the shower was fantastic, and the added extras (free mineral water, home-made biscuits) were the icing on the cake. The restaurant was pricy, but we were not disappointed; the wine selection and cheese board alone are worth going for! Breakfast was equally well-received.
The only concern we had was the slightly over-bearing hotel management. The front of house and restaurant staff were all delightful, however:
There were several stern notices in full view of the paying customer saying things like "DON'T serve drinks until you've added them to the bill, I will be checking!"
We politely requested a late check out, to which the receptionist was extremely apologetic, explaining that she would have to charge us extra if we wanted to keep the room for an extra hour. Never before have we stayed in a place who would not offer you complimentary late check-out if the room was free! Sadly, this seems to indicate that the management prioritise making money over great customer service.
This minor issue slightly soured an otherwise lovely stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Temps4
Reviewed 16 February 2014

stayed here on travel zoo voucher for eight course meal, booking in was very friendly, room comfortable watched ruby in lounge very nice. Meal was super all courses were of high standard very well presented waiting on staff were very friendly, super served breakfast. very enjoyable overnight stay , our second time and wont be the last.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank normskidabble
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I was on a business stay so didn't get the chance to really appreciate this hotel however, it was comfortable, clean and all the staff I came into contact with were very friendly and helpful. Would certainly stay again.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business