“Birthday Treat”

Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Shrewsbury
Nottinghamshire
“Birthday Treat”
Reviewed 20 April 2009

We stayed at this hotel for three nights. My husband never works on his birthday and we thought we would explore this part of Shropshire. We had a lovely time at the Albright Hussey Manor.The food was excellent and the house and gardens superb. The wine is supplied by Tanners. Best of all the staff are a great team and enjoy their work.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Annedeg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Shropshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2009

My husband and i stayed at the Albright Hussey in early February. We booked to stay via booking.com.The room that we booked was one of their executive rooms. On arrival we were met at the car by one of the hotels managers who welcomed us to the hotel and offered to help us with our bags, so far so good. We were asked if we would like a newspaper[HE FORGOT TO ORDER THIS SO NO PAPER THE NEXT MORNING] and were fully informed as to breakfast times and told about the booking arrangements for dinner that evening. Then we were shown to our room and for me this is where they let themselves down.The corridors that we were led through to get to our room was in darkness, this was blamed on the housekeeping staff, as was the room that we were led into.As we had pre-booked the room i did feel that they could have put the bedside lights on prior to our arrival. The room was only made up for one person[this we found out the next morning when speaking to the receptionist],one bath towel one hand towel. THis we were informed is common practise at this hotel, fair enough but on receiving our booking which clearly stated for two people i think that someone should have checked, they were hardly rushed off their feet. The room itself was nice enough,clean and warm and a really comfortable bed,but i would not call it executive not by any means. I could not help but notice that the wallpaper borderwas coming away from the paper and the over basin light in the bathroom was not working. We did decided to go down later on that evening for a bar meal and we were not disappointed here. We had the mixed meat platter with walnut bread and homemade pickles, lovely. The gentleman that served us was helpful and attentive, all round excellant.Breakfast was just as good in fact one of the best breakfasts that we have ever had whilst staying in a Hotel. We were informed by the breakfast waiter[who was really nice] that it was a new chef ,you could not tell so well done to him[or her]. And so to checking out . My husband brought up the afore mentioned comments and to her credit she did make the gesture of not charging us for the coke and two tonics that we had with our meal the night before,so that was nice of her. I suppose that to some who are reading this it sounds like i am nit-picking, but think of this.We paid almost £90.00 to stay in this hotel,if we had booked it direct it would have been £130.00 B/B, and for that i do expect the little things to be taken into account just as much as the main things.Would i stay there again No would i eat there again ABSOLUTELY.

• Liked — The evening meal and th Breakfast both excellant
  • Disliked — The room and the lack of attention to detail.
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank Geoff C
Stoke on Trent
Reviewed 6 February 2009

I would just like to say a very big thank you to everyone at the Albright Hussey Manor Hotel. So warm and friendly was the welcome that both my Mum and I felt at home from the moment we walked through the door.
The surroundings were more luxurious and charming than I had ever imagined, and the food was second to none! The a la carte menu was made to delight, and the chef (on both nights) was first rate.
I would like to give special thanks to Christine, Malcolm and Anis. What a wonderful team! We couldn't have asked for more! An absolute credit to the hotel.

• Liked — The charm and beauty of the hotel...and it's staff!
  • Disliked — Having only had two nights to stay there....
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
worcestershire
Reviewed 7 January 2009

We visited Albright Hussey Hotel as a family of 8, and we were bowled over by the fantastic service and attention to detail. It was to celebrate a family members 5oth Birthday and we had a lovely time! Malcolm Brewster looked af ter us really well! definitely go back again soon.

• Liked — pictureque grounds and gorgeous moat with black swans
  • Disliked — nothing!
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank ORMOFI-KOUKLITSA
Bath
Reviewed 2 November 2008

I stayed here whilst away on business for the week and it is a fab hotel. The ducks & Geece meet you in the grounds which look great for parties or weddings. Malcolm the Manger is a chiry chap and very helpful. The rooms have comfy double beds, Molton Brown products in the bathroom and robes are availble. The food for room service is really good and reasonably priced. The location is only 10 min drive dependent on traffic from town. It is a bit difficult to see the hotel sign,entrance from the road as the hotel is down a lane so not visable from the road.

• Liked — Nice friendly staff
  • Disliked — Dark approach
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 4 September 2008

Clapham, London
This gem of Shropshire was highly commended by some of my friends, so for a special occasion I took my wife for our twenty fifth wedding anniversary. When I had booked a room I mentioned wedding anniversary. On check-in I was welcomed by a very nice caring gentleman who took our luggage and guided my wife and I through the old part of this wonderful Tudor building to our room. A four poster bed, splendor and old beams, like the middle ages, very comfortable and clean, perfect after a long journey. We made our way down to the cocktail bar at early evening and where welcomed by Malcolm, when he served our drinks he gave us an amazing introduction to what we where about to experience, he explained every dish of the menu to us and all was mouthwatering without even tasting it, I went for the beef and my wife for the lamb both had ordered scallops to start with. We kept the menu and read the Chef introduction and knew we would be in for a real treat. After a little while Malcolm announced that the Chef was ready with our order and took us to our table near the window, there were about twenty other people dining and the atmosphere was electric and there was a real buzz, the food was amazing, fresher then fresh scallops, the beef and lamb simply to die for, we swapped our main courses, we had to taste all, with a fine bottle off Beaujolais Fluerie. For after we were handed a sweet and cheese menu, I do like cheese, when presented with an a la carte cheese menu, I was going to be more then happy, my wife choose a soufflé with amaretto. The cheese was served at room temperature and the soufflé was just wow. Afterwards the Chef made his appearance, this is new to me you only see this on TV, in the restaurant and talked to all the guests, he spoke to us about his involvement and use of local food, I have never met a Chef being so passionate and full of pride. Malcolm served us coffee and brandy in the bar area, I thanked him for the "experience" and wonderful evening we had and we would be back soon. The following morning after a healthy breakfast we met the owner and complimented him, we left the Albright Hussey Manor with a warm hearted feeling. I will recommend this gem to anyone.

• Liked — being cared for
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 19 August 2008

Stayed here for one night with business colleagues. Nothing special and wouldn't come back. No character or atmosphere to this hotel and definately not a four star. The staff were very brusque, cold and unfriendly, was really treated like a pleb. The rooms were ok, but nothing special. The restaurant for dinner & breakfast was pretty standard.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Very basic rooms
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business