“Travelodge, Shrewsbury Battlefield”

Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Shrewsbury
Chester, United Kingdom
“Travelodge, Shrewsbury Battlefield”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We were down at Shawbury to help marshal the Anfield 100 mile bicycle time trial on Monday 26th. We booked in for one night on the 25th at the Travelodge as it was just ten minutes away
from Shawbury. The room was clean, tidy and just what we needed before the 0345hr alarm.

Room Tip: Book early for best deals.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Kent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We took a family room, our daughter is 2.5 years old. She slept on the spare bed. We took our bed guard from home, so she wouldn't fall out. Room was a little bit on the hot side for my liking, but you can open the windows in the room. It was a lovely big room, big enough for three of us. Lovely and quiet indoors and out. We had a very comfy double bed and a good night's sleep. 30 mins of free wifi which was just enough time to check on emails etc or make arrangements for onward travel... The only breakfast facilities at the hotel were a breakfast box, we chose not to order these when booking as we would have had to order 3 (as there were 3 of us) and they work out about £5 a head which I think is quite expensive. You can eat at the SPAR shop in the petrol garage opposite the hotel! The SPAR has three tables (perhaps not suitable for very young children as they are high bar stool tables) and they have a hot food counter (not sure what was on offer as we didn't know about it beforehand and anyway bought cereal and milk to eat at a friends house) but at least there is something, considering the hotel has nothing! I would definitely stay at this hotel again, because it was quiet.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night, The room was very spacious and clean, a few issues were the room didnt have a chair at the dressing table as pictured so i had to sit on the bed to do my hair and make up, and the pillows on the bed were extremely hard, woke up in the morning with a very stiff neck, the room was good, provided us with the basics such as kettle, some cups,tea coffees etc, but only one bath towel in a double room, alot of extras such as towels and hairdryers needed to be asked for at the reception desk, which when you want to get settled in for the night you dont want to be trekking back and forth to reception

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank bexmorgan78
Mansfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I don't normally stay in Travelodges but was very pleasantly surprised and we have already booked to stay again. This is convenient for where we needed to be and lots of facilities nearby including a pub, Starbucks, Burger King, Subway and Spar shop. The staff are extremely helpful and friendly. Definitely the best Travelodge we have ever visited!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Picked cos it was near where we needed to be, this a better than average Travel Lodge, quiet and fresh, it seemed newer or more recently updated than others I have used recently. It is located near a pub "The Two Henrys" but we did not know until we had arrived so had eaten earlier.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

1 Thank george b
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014

First of all any review is by its nature as that one person sees it. Anyway caveats out of the way I was booked into this hotel by my employer and when I saw it my heart sank. Its next to a main road junction (I am a fairly light sleeper) and then I was given a room at the front. Oh well lets see what happens, I had visions of car park noise and noise from the adjacent petrol station et al keeping me awake half the night.
I was wrong.
There was very little noticeable noise in the room, so it seems that someone got the design criteria right on that score. Several good nights sleep were had.
The down side included the extortionate charges for internet access, there is no way this is justified other than as a way of increasing overall profit margins. The other slight problem with this, which the "suits" seem to have overlooked, is that you have to pay on line by credit card (if there is an other option it is not obvious), which is all well in good IF you travel with such things. As I do not go out and about for work unless someone else is paying and has paid in advance I do not carry a credit card so could not use the service even if I were desperate and agreed to the extortionate price. (Lenny Henry's friends are much cheaper and you can pay in cash at the front desk - hint!).
Food, there is a plastic pub adjacent, as to food quality all I can say is that the hand battered cod, chips and peas was totally devoid of flavour, it was like eating cardboard. They actually seemed quite miffed when I politely pointed this out after paying. So please do not hold out hopes for haute cuisine; or anything with flavour. There are a couple of other fast food type places adjacent as well.
Trying to get to the Spar at the adjacent petrol station for breakfast provisions by foot was obviously not part of the design brief, it involves fighting past lorries parked on the pavement etc. Breakfast at the adjacent plastic pub starts halfway through the day unfortunately, and is probably flavour free as well.
All said, if you just want somewhere to sleep, do not need internet access and you eat on the hoof then you could do a lot worse than here.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

This travel Lodge was okay. The price was decent, but the service was not very good. My room was not very well cleaned; my sheets were dirty and I had to get them changed. My tea kettle was also a mess, I had to get a new one brought to my room. The breakfast is free, but the food is not that great. I learned the first morning and the second morning I just had a couple oranges.

Stayed February 2013, travelled solo