“Good value for money” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Shrewsbury
Cradley Heath, United Kingdom
“Good value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

We got a late deal, which included a vcery nice breakfast cooked to order. We stayed in the Lodge which was comfortable, spacious and warm. Our only criticism would be that it was a little too warm, but rather that than too cold. The rooms are 1980s decor and a bit tired but other than that more than adequate.
The staff were all very nice, helpful and pleasant. There was plenty of very hot water,tea tray with plenty of choice etc.
It was a short walk in to the main town which again suited us fine.
Would we stay here again? Definetly.

Room Tip: The Lodge is set back from the main hotel which some people may not like, however we quite liked it...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

A pleasant enough short stay with a nice menu in the bar and restaurant of this privately owned hotel. Reception and the duty manager were always helpful and attentive. The bar staff equally so both with drinks and food including on the evening when I ate from the à la carte menu in the bar rather than the restaurant. The wine list was overpriced for what it was. Breakfast was hit and miss. Some very delicious Danish pastries and croissant but an inability on my last morning to serve my porridge (which was all I was having) when I was the first person in for breakfast. The previous morning I managed to have porridge and a full English breakfast in less than fifteen minutes. On my final morning when I was in a rush people who arrived after me were getting full English breakfast before my porridge arrived. Despite a couple of requests it never arrived and I just left after waiting for more than forty-five minutes.

A surprisingly quiet room in the "Lodge" which is the relatively new build at the foot of the car park. As usual, the room was not as light proof as I like but there was no noise from the nearby main road. Disappointingly, whilst the main building of the hotel has been refurbished the bedrooms in the Lodge do not appear to have been so. Only two power points in the room coupled with appalling Wi-Fi reception that kept dropping out and a similar problem with the Freeview television. Couple that with very low power energy saving lightbulbs that were difficult to read by and the room was on balance less than satisfactory.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night for work. I booked due to pricing, location and reviews which unfortunately I can't agree with.

Upon arrival I checked in, was told that my room was located at the lodge facility at the back of the carpark. Receptionist was very cold and not welcoming, I had no conversation whatsoever.

The room was old decor, bathroom was unclean, TV kept freezing, and the radiator clicked all night!
Turn the radiator off due to the room being boiling!
Skirting, (boxed in piping), has been ripped up with nails poking out!

Only positive review I can give is that the room was relatively cheap and the hotel was easy to find, lots of car park spaces.

Would not recommend for holiday break or family. It is bearable for business trip!

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Shrewsbury hotels

Shropshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

My mum booked for the family to have a family meal (10 ) having sunday lunch. The hotel was busy on arrival and we went and told them we where there. We bought drinks at the bar and sat and waited, eventually we were handed some menus and they came and took our order. 2 mins later the table was ready. The host was happy to watch as we struggled to carry drinks coats, bags kiddies bits and just stood and watched. I asked where we could hang our coats and he pointed to the rack! He then watched me hang 10 coats up! Anyway we got seated in the lovely conservatory. The round table was snug for 10 but the food was really very good, the waiting staff were good. Food was hot and plentiful.
We sat back in the lounge for coffee and the children where quickly told to not play, by a member of staff,even though the hotel at this point was nearer empty and they were also just walking round having a look!
Went and asked for the bill and settled up and left quickly.
So great food and very comfy, but they let themselves down with the hosting, friendliness and general finesse. I would recommend it for good food and value for money, but u wouldn't rush back to gain good customer service! However it is a 3 star not a 4 star!

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Leeds, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

We stayed for two nights on a weekend break and decided to pay a little extra for the Wrekin Suite which we found extremely comfortable. The hotel is well maintained and wecoming and all staff made a real effort to meet our every need in a friendly way. The food both at breakfast and evenings in the bar was of a good quality. The abundant free on site parking made it easy for a trip out to the Ironbridge area (about 20 minutes drive and highly recommended) It was a little further walking distance to the town centre (15 -20 mins) than we expected but not a great problem or an unpleasant walk. A thoroughly enjoyable stay and we will certainly book again.

Room Tip: Book a suite if cost not too much more at the time.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Berks
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights in June. The hotel was really nice with the front end recently refurbished by the looks of. We stayed in the annex at the rear the room was ok looks as if they're starting to work on this area also. Staff were friendly and very helpful, breakfast was alright seemed to be different each morning different chefs I suppose. Nice wander into the town centre plenty of car parking spaces and the bar was was open for late nights drinks if required.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank aftonlad
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

I only stayed one night in this hotel whilst travelling through the UK and I did not pre-book. On arrival I got a great large room for great value. The staff were friendly and the breakfast very good. They do have a restaurant but I ate out. In general a good place to stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo