“Disappointed”

and 1 more site!
Lord Hill Hotel
Ranked #14 of 16 Hotels in Shrewsbury
Reviewed 15 April 2009

Just returned from 3 days at The Lord Hill. We had booked a double room but on arriving were upgraded to a "suite" at no extra cost. The suite turned out to be a large room with large bathroom attached. Unfortunately it was partly over the hotel bar and partly over the hotel kitchen. Across the main road was a ambulance station. If you stay here suggest you take ear plugs as not only could we hear the noise from the bar in the evening but delivery vans arrived at the kitchen at 6 am. There was peeling wallpaper in some places but the main grumble was the bed. It was hard, lumpy and uncomfortable. On a positive note the room was clean, the breakfast was excellent and the staff were efficient and friendly.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 9 January 2009

It's a tired old hotel in desperate need of some TLC - I usually love quirky independent hotels but there wasn't much to love here. Our room was in the main hotel (and don't be fooled by the grandly titled "Suite" when you get your key - it's a room plus bathroom!). The shower alternates between freezing and scalding, the wallpaper is peeling, you can hear every creak from the floorboards as people walk through corridor outside and every voice from the bar below, I've not slept on a bed so badly worn since i was a student (you'll touch the base if you sit on the mattress), there are no pictures on the walls to make it visually appealing, no socket near a mirror for hairdrying, the telly's not attached to its stand (not ideal with a toddler!).... On the plus side, it was clean and sizeable, both check in and check out were straightforward and the staff were very friendly and extremely helpful.

We apparently paid their lowest rate of £75 for room and breakfast and, at that rate, I'd suggest a travelodge/premier inn would represent much better value for money.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank WhiteRoseLeeds
Reviewed 7 December 2008

A group of us stayed for 5 nights over the last few weeks and the first thing to say is that the staff - who we got to know a little as we ate in the hotel each evening - were excellent. Nothing was too much trouble. The rooms in the main building are very comfortable and full of character. The hotel is warm and welcoming. The restaurant is very good as is the breakfast. Highly recommended.

We stayed in the Lodge for one night and this block of 24 rooms at the bottom of the car park is not in the same league as the rooms in the main building, still comfortable but you didn't feel you were in the same hotel and there wasn't much sound proofing between the rooms.

Stayed: December 2008
Reviewed 20 July 2007

Firstly i would like to say that i disagree with the reviews below from disappointed travellers. I stayed at this hotel back in June and thoroughly enjoyed my stay – the service was of a high standard as all staff were friendly and extremely helpful. I was also pleased with our room which was comfortable and I found no faults. I would definitely use this hotel if in the area again :)

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 19 July 2007

I stayed at the Lord Hill last weekend, and have to say that I am very surprised by some of the negative comments here as I found the experience to be very good. The staff were friendly and helpful, and made me and my partner feel extremely welcome. The hotel is going through some refurbishment work, but we were made fully aware of this on booking and were pleasantly surprised by the lack of disruption on arrival. Our room was clean and nicely decorated, with good facilities. The food in the restaurant was fantastic, and the service was also very good. We are both looking forward to a return visit in the near future.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2007

We stayed at the Lord Hill in July as we were attending a wedding in Shropshire,and i cant tell you how disappointed we were.I telephoned the hotel twice to confirm our booking ,this was because the first time i rang they told me that our room reservation had been changed to the lodge when i had asked for the rooms to be in the main building.The second time i rang the young lady that i spoke to really didnt care if she answered me or not.On checking in on the friday eveningwe were whizzed through checking in and pointed the direction of our rooms.The rooms were clean and tidy plenty of towels and hot water no trouble there.My biggest complaint was the breakfast,all pre-cooked and warm,the sausages were i believe the cheapest that you could buy,and the bacon could sole your shoes .There is no excuse for that ,our room rates were £85.00pn,so hardly the cheap end of the market.Pre-wrapped pastries and paper napkins.Come on Owners i know that you can do better,as a local girl i remember the Hotel having a first class reputation but i fear that is on its way out.Just one more point,try to get your receptionist to ask leaving guests if everything was alright ,you may save yourselves more adverse ratings on trip advisor.... they are mounting up.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Geoff C
Reviewed 17 July 2007

I stayed at this hotel for a long weekend in July with my husband. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The hotel is going through refurbishment at the moment and we stayed in a lovely room that had just been modernised. It was very comfortable. The food is really nice and the hotel is too! Would def stay here again!!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple