“Chic”
Review of The Golden Cross

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shrewsbury
The Golden Cross
Ranked #17 of 55 Shrewsbury B&B and Inns
Ludlow, United Kingdom
“Chic”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I first discovered this restaurant at a Christmas do with work. Pork belly to die for. Took my husband there on Valentine's Day - lived up to expectations. The restaurant was busy but very individual attention. Could easily have enjoyed anything from the menu.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Shrewsbury
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Being a local resident I have been here 5 times before, 3 times ok now 3 times not ok.
The good bits, ambience ok, the soup ok,the wine ok.it ends there.
Service not good, the manager wearing jeans.
3 of us visited with a view to book a birthday meal, we ordered Soup and an Onion Bahj. which was fine, and a bottle of Merlot, French nothing wrong with that either.
Main course we ordered Shoulder of Lamb, Green Beans and and Dauphinoise potatoes, no side dish of vegetables with it. The Lamb was greasy and not seasoned properly, and the portion without a side of veg very small. The waitress collected our plates and never asked if the meal was ok, the cost £85. At the Lord Hill 3 courses silver service including coffee
£16 95 say no more.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank rhedwards48
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

Found this after trying to get into a few other restaurants, but very glad that we carried on looking. Tried to book a table in the afternoon for later that night and could only get in at either 6 or 9. Testament to its stunning food. I would advise booking the night before if not even earlier to make sure that you don't miss out.

Very homely layout, quite close to other tables but did not feel intruded by them. Food was well priced for the high quality and well looked after by the staff. Complementary bread and water are given, which makes a change to other restaurants, and very nice wine choice for the rest of the meal.

Would definitely return here in the future and also recommend to friends and family if they were in the area.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Shrewsbury
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Haven't eaten here for a while and so glad I took my dearest friend there for an evening meal it was superb. Haddock fishcake with poached egg was sublime, such a wonderful dining experience and a great wine choice too.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Wolverhampton
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

Went for lunch 30th Nov, so glad we booked ahead this is a very busy restaurant and I can understand why. The decor is wonderfully whimsical and the Christmas decs added to this. Very pretty. The lunch menu was great with light bites or full meals. We all had sandwiches. I had the red devil red Leicester and cumin chutney. It was delicious. I had a side of rosemary sweet potato wedges which were gorgeous. Enjoyed a nice glass of pinot too. Will definately return here. Would love to look at the rooms too.

• Stayed December 2013
HLP1972
Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

We went for our works Christmas 'do' it was a large group who had preordered. The spicy soup was really lovely. The traditional turkey was a small portion, I had to ask for my roast potatoes because they had been missed off during service. There was plenty of veg available. I had cheese for desert which was really 'fiery' a couple of my colleagues couldn't eat it due to the heat! Again the food was nice but not to the same standard which I have had previously.
The restaurant had been through a refurb since my last visit and it is looking really lovey, I love the linen table cloths.
I will no doubt return but it won't be my first choice for a while.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Llandudno, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2013

We stayed here last night, for the first time, although we have had dinner there a few times before. I can only say they place is enchanting...from the first peek through the mullioned windows, where twinkly christmas lights willed us to come and explore. The bedrooms were just lovely. The rooms we stayed in were fairly small doubles, but everything was there. Brilliant rain shower in the bathroom, extremely comfy bed. Just attention to detail throughout. We had a nightcap in the bar last night, and the staff were lovely, welcoming & friendly. This morning we were again welcomed into the room for breakfast, and it was faultless. We were actually at breakfast for an hour & a half as it was just so lovely, we were offered more toast or coffee countless times. Brilliant staff, hosts. Magical & enchanting :)

Room Tip: If you want space, pay for the bigger rooms.