“absolute tasty perfection”

Cuisines: Sushi
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 20 August 2014

First time in a noodle bar - thank heaven for helpful and efficient staff, Advised to try Piggy Bits and Dumplings , soooo tasty. Then came the belly pork noodles and delicious egg,, with crunchy chilli, a hot bowlful, mmm quite delicious. Then Chocolate Nemesis - omg it looked like a ship in sale, spun caramel, and chocolate "earth" and cream was an experience to repeat often. This is a fabulous addition to Shrewsburys fine cuisine, brilliant staff, lovely surroundings, perfect food, and very reasonably priced. I watched chef Chris in action at the Flower Show with other celebrity chefs, and now I can say he cooked for me! I will return, well worth a visit or ten !

2  Thank judith w
There are newer reviews for Momo No Ki - Ramen Noodle Bar

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Situated next to the Peach Tree, it was good to go back to Shrewsbury, where we lived for 10 years & find this new Noodle Bar, where we had lunch. Excelllent staff, service, food & value for money. Dumplings were very nice as a starter. The vegetable udon noodles were excellent & my wife loved the salmon ramen. Highly recommended.

2  Thank Barry W
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Being somewhat a fan of Japanese food having spent quite some time in Japan, I was excited that a Japanese restaurant was opening in Shrewsbury, especially as I like the food served at the neighbouring Peach Tree.
On the whole I was very impressed with both food and service, which was excellent and speedy.
Pork "kaku" is important in ramen, and in Chris Burt's version it is replaced by an equally flavoursome char siu pork belly. The broth is lighter than a traditional Japanese tonkotsu, which is nice as it can be very salty. My wifes choice of the salmon was also excellent.
Sashimi ordered as a side was middling - salmon was fresh and cut well, but tuna was evidently supermarket bought tuna steak and lacked flavour or freshness. Working out a way to import fresher fish would help enormously.

However, I must draw the attention to the actual noodles (since that is the main part of ramen) - as our Japanese friends and I agree that these are not actually reminiscent of ramen, but actually of spaghetti. The dough is too hard and brittle and it has been passed through a pasta machine rather than rolled and cut. The reason that this matters is that harder and larger noodles do not hold the thin ramen broth flavour and taste bland. Since Chris Burt has brought out a book on Japanese fusion food, I would like to see him improve his noodles to resemble ramen as this would convince me to come back time and again as the other components are excellent.

6  Thank Tim W
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This was the first time I've been to a noodle bar, I found the best way to get something that I liked was to explain to the staff what my taste was and let then point me in the right direction.

The food was excellent, make sure you leave room for a desert as they are to die for.

4  Thank Dean W
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I had my Birthday meal at Momo No Ki on a Friday evening- having chosen the restaurant on recommendation from two of my friends. There was a table of 13 of us and we all really enjoyed every morsel of food.
The waiter (James) was lovely and helpful- and very patient with our animated table of loud chatterboxes! The service was outstanding and the food was excellent- mouth-wateringly tasty and well presented. I tried the small Yakisoba (seasonal greens, tofu, kimchi, Yakisoba sauce, peanuts & Togarashi spice) with udon noodles, which was delicious and left room for pudding (the yummiest pistachio ice-cream I've ever tasted). My friends were impressed with their meals too- and the desserts were to die for. My only complaint would be the price of the drinks- but the meal was reasonably priced for the portions.
I'm going to go back at the earliest opportunity and have already decided what I'm having!

3  Thank K J