“Wonderful Family-Run Restaurant!!”

Price range: US$13 - US$40
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: We are a genuine family run restaurant, we are proud to prepare Modern Italian cuisine, we also offer exclusive fine dining gourmet evenings during the year, where Italian cuisine is taken to a much higher level, bookings essential.
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We had one of the most wonderful evenings here recently. As a coeliac sufferer, it is not always easy to find Italian restaurants that can cater for my needs. However, this restaurant absolutely pulled out all of the stops to accommodate me! We let them know in advance that we were coming and they even made me my own bread basket! The owners were so friendly and welcoming and after a short chat we established that this really is a family affair - With three generations of the family cooking and working in the restaurant. The food was superb - We had antipasti to start, ragu for the main and hand-made gelato for dessert. Everything was beautifully presented and delicious.
When visiting Shrewsbury again we will definitely go back!

8  Thank Harry M

Reviewed 16 July 2014

The title really sums it up.
We are regular visitors to Shrewsbury and have never visited this restaurant before. What have we been missing!!!
The food is sublime. Fresh, delightfully presented and such amazing flavours. Every course was first class and we can't single out any dish as they were all gorgeous. We are salivating even now just thinking about he food.
The owners are really friendly and the ambience is very traditional Italian. It was quiet on the night we visited but we didn't feel awkward nor did we feel that it lacked atmosphere.
This restaurant deserves ever rave review it gets and long may it continue and long may we continue to visit - now that we've found it!! Thanks La Dolce Vita.

7  Thank Eiri S
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We visited this restaurant for our belated wedding anniversary and made the decision via trip advisor reviews. We booked late and so could only get a table either early 6.45 pm or after 9 pm so opted for the earlier time. If I had anything to gripe about it was just the fact that we were the only diners for quite some time. However, this did mean that we were made very welcome and were well looked after by Luigi and the rest of the team. I did wonder if some tables had cancelled and that is why it was quite a while before we were joined by other diners.

The sense of humour shown in some of the responses to some of the trip advisor reviews was very evident. We were very happy with our choices from the menu, the food is tasty and very well presented. We shall be returning again and quite fancy trying one of the gourmet nights.

5  Thank Sue M
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I have never bothered to review anywhere more than once. For La Dolce Vita I must make an exception.

If your idea of Italian food is derived from the chain restaurants or you believe that good food can only be found in flashy, trendy bistros, where more thought has been put into the decor than what you eat.... well, don't go here.

If, however, you have travelled in Italy (or any other Southern European country for that matter) and stumbled into a small town that you've never heard of, and at dusk seen the local families, after their evening strolls, making for a little softly lit restaurant where the wine is served out of barrels in the back and the produce comes out of the fields around, cooked with complete confidence and style and if you also decided to go into that restaurant and experienced that food and still remember it....well, you will feel at home here.

Unlike other Europeans, In the UK and the USA people often judge a place by how it looks. This is a Big Mistake. Judge a restaurant by service, food quality and value for money. La Dolce Vita is ten out of ten on all counts. Personally I love the ambiance because it feels so genuine and uncorporate.

It is, of course, the customers as much as the staff who create an atmosphere, for good or ill, and there was a lovely, gentle, mixed crowd of couples and a family on the night we visited.

Always welcomed with grace and charm by Luigi, we know we will never be hurried, the timing of everything will be perfectly judged, the table is ours to linger as long as we choose.

We had our beloved starter of Bruchetta with four toppings, each a uniquely delicious combinations of flavours. I loved the Mediterranean roast vegetables with tapenade. And fat, green and black olives; a big dish of them, salty and honest.

We both had pasta dishes for mains. Spoilt for choice. All the mains are imaginative and interesting. Check out the menu on line for details. Langoustine jus? Smoked marrow? Textures of onions? That is capital city, New York, Parisian style food right here in Shrewsbury. That is food you read about in the Sundays but then it is served in pretentious, over priced, over self conscious restaurants that will be shut in a month. Here it is served by a family that loves preparing and presenting exciting food with no pretentiousness at all, just with simple enthusiasm.

I am at a loss to describe the deliciousness of the dessert. Apparently it is going down a storm with regulars but Gennaro gets bored and he will change this menu sometime, so please, I beg you, go and experience this now before he thinks of something else.

There are at least six elements to the masterpiece. There is a gel flavoured with rum.... intensely unusual, I have never tasted anything quite like it in my life. There is lime curd....heavenly. There is a dusting of peanut brittle so fine you cannot believe so much deliciousness is in this tiny pile of powder. There is banana crusted with caramelised sugar. How does he even do that? There is this amazing peanut parfait. I don't even know what that is but I could have eaten it forever. There is sweetly melting banana ice cream. Imagine it all together and the different combinations on your spoon.... words fail me.

Oh and that is just one of the desserts.

I haven't written "home made" in front of everything because, obviously, everything is made fresh on the premises, in a tiny kitchen, by the family, inspired by Gennaro's brilliance.

How does he think it up? I enquire, bewildered, of Trish, the wunderkind's mum. She doesn't know for sure but she assures us that her son dreams of, experiments with and obsesses about food all the time. All the time.

(Incidentally, last time we visited, we rang ahead with a request for a vegan meal and were presented with options for starter, main and dessert, all vegan, all amazing. How rare and generous is that? Try that at a national chain).

Leaving, I felt acute pity for the people all over our fair town, going out for meals that are ok I'm sure, in places where the chef perhaps doesn't spend every waking hour obsessing creatively over his menu, where 'seasonal' means changing the menu when corporate marketing tells you to. Ahhh what those poor folk are missing I thought. Then, selfishly, I decided I didn't want them to discover the secrets of La Dolce Vita because the next time we call Luigi, we might not be able to get a table.

6  Thank fernhillangel
Reviewed 4 July 2014

My friends took me to La Dolce Vita, even though I’m now a massive fan of Italian food, but both the flavours and the presentation are exceptional.

The restaurant is quite small and the décor is a little bland, service is good, and atmosphere is ok, but any shortcomings are easily made up by the food, it’s a 5 star experience.

Forget all the Italian chain restaurant in town, if you’re after authentic Italian food this is the place to go, you won’t be disappointed.

6  Thank Claire G