“No beef”
Review of Toby Carvery

Toby Carvery
Ranked #295 of 388 Restaurants in Shrewsbury
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We really enjoy coming for a meal here. The food is a roast dinner with four meats and plenty of vegetables.
My favourite is roast beef and Yorkshire pudding, but Sunday 27th was a disaster for me. No beef! They had run out of beef, orange tango and we later found out, ice cream.
The meal was good and the staff friendly and attentive.
Three stars because I had been dreaming of the roast beef all day.

General Manager A, Manager at Toby Carvery, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi Stephen, we regret to hear that you had a negative experience with us, but would appreciate the chance to turn your experience around.
While we strive to continually offer the same level of service and wide variety of meats, we do sometimes suffer setbacks, as we did Sunday.
If you'd be willing to give us another chance, we'd love to give you the experience we strive to offer and we'll be happy to offer you plenty of extra beef to make up for Sunday! Many thanks for your kind words about our staff. We genuinely really appreiciate it and the Front of House team thoroughly enjoyed looking after your table. We look forward to seeing you again and wish you all the best.
Many thanks

Reviewed 10 May 2018

We called here early evening for a meal on the way to the theatre. The car park was quite full which is always a good sign. We were not disappointed as the meats were excellent and there was a wonderful selection of vegetables. It got very busy later and people had to wait over 1/2hr for a table

General Manager A, Manager at Toby Carvery, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2018

Thanks so much for your kind words! We loved having you and hope you enjoyed the show!
Have a great day!

Reviewed 1 May 2018

Popped in late Sunday for a Sunday treat.........Asked for a table and told at least 3/4 of an hour , " if you care to wait in the bar and we'll call you when a table becomes available" Good way to get you to purchase a pre meal drink then? Good marketing one would say...?
My wife and I ordered a drink, my wife went to the toilet and came back with a tissue,she had just wiped an area in there with the toilet tissue.
IT WAS RANK! So, PLEASE CLEAN YOUR LADIES TOILET PROPERLY....
To her word, 3/4 hour later we were called to our table which was directly behind the booking in system, a huge majority were told an hour wait, others half an hour, my wife and I found this VERY strange as there were several empty tables not being used?
My wife asked three times for a glass of water to take her pills, which never arrived, this was mentioned to the first waitress we asked on checkout."Oh sorry I forgot"
But, the food was fresh, tasty and we even had a chuckle with the chef, a first at any Toby Inn.
Nice to experience you have not stopped the rule serving adults children's puddings, at last my wife is able to have a sweet after her meal, would always waste if we ordered a standard one, so stopped ordering them.So brilliant news there.

1  Thank AlanHughes

Hi Alanhughes, thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent experience. We are disappointed to hear that you are not satisfied with certain areas of your visit. We have employed more regular toilet checks with our staff, I will also be coaching my staff to ensure our service is our priority.i am really happy that you enjoyed our food and your wife was happy too. if you would like to contact me personally to discuss anything further please don't hesitate on 01743343781.
Regards Toby team

Reviewed 15 April 2018 via mobile

Stopped on way to North Wales. 4th in lunchtime queue. Everything cooked perfectly and meats especially. Nice to see sweet potato on menu and good choice of veg. Only 4 stars as the waitresses didn't seem to know how the stamps in app worked. We we were due a free dessert but she said we should have had a voucher. The other one doubted we could both get a stamp on our apps even though we purchased 2 meals.

General Manager A, Manager at Toby Carvery, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2018

Hi Gillian! Thanks for your review, We really appreciate your kind words.
The app can be up and down sometimes, it is dealt with by the brand's IT Department.
We look forward to seeing you again soon!

All the best

TC Shrewsbury

Reviewed 20 March 2018 via mobile

I enjoy Toby, and I think it's great value for money. This was my first visit to the Shrewsbury Toby, and I'm afraid that it was let down by the decor/amenities, which were in need of a little TLC. One lot of Gents toilets were completely u/s, and one cubicle in the Ladies was out or order with just a hastily hand written note stuck to the door. I understand that things break, but feel that a note printed on a computer would look more professional? ? The cover to the toilet roll holder was missing in the cubicle I used, and the cover to the soap dispenser was also missing. This was a shame because the staff were excellent and the food was beautiful.
Our waitress Tina was friendly and very efficient and I had the Gammon and Beef which were lovely. A good choice of sides too which is great for a faddy eater like me!
All in all I enjoyed my visit to this Toby, and I will visit again. Fix those little things and next time it will be ⛧⛧⛧⛧⛧

General Manager A, Manager at Toby Carvery, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2018

Hi there

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, we are very pleased with your kind words and we're glad you enjoyed your meal! Tina was delighted with your words and is now enjoying a drink on me for her efforts!

We are of course slightly disappointed its not 5 and a little frustrated that we were so close. We really appreciate you bringing these things to our attention, we are looking into fixing the issues as soon as possible.

We look forward to seeing you again soon and hope we can get that extra star from you.

Many thanks