“How this is a 5 star I don't know!!”
Review of PorterHouse.sy1

PorterHouse.sy1
Ranked #13 of 55 Shrewsbury B&B and Inns
Herefordshire, United Kingdom
“How this is a 5 star I don't know!!”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Room was lovely. Went down for breakfast in the morning there was no breakfast chef there just the cleaner and a man painting the walls. The cleaner said the staff are always late or don't turn up at all!! The man painting the walls said he could cook our breakfast! He made a cappuccino with instant coffee, yuk and we declined breakfast. We asked to speak to the manager, he was late too!! They phoned him to come in which he did with alchol on his breath. He did apologise and took some money off the bill but still, very poor! Was really looking forward to a lovely breakfast! Very disappointed as it was supposedly five star :-(

• Stayed February 2014
PorterHouse s, General Manager at PorterHouse.sy1, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Since reading your feedback and being obviously disappointed to hear how you felt your experience was I have looked into it in some detail and spoken to my team involved directly.
Being a small business our housekeeper does breakfast service and housekeeping, the 'man
painting the walls' is our breakfast chef during the week days and simply helping our to do a few odd jobs through the early morning to keep everything looking fresh; He recognised you were in a rush offered to put his chef whites on and cook your breakfast for you before our weekend breakfast chef arrived at 9am.
At the weekend, breakfast service is between 9-11 for our residents as we understand that they
may like a lie in, however if we are made aware that you need to leave earlier then there is always the option of having breakfast earlier or we can provide you with hot breakfast sandwiches to take away.
Our staff sometimes use instant coffee to drink themselves but we use only a fresh Shropshire roast for our customers.
We have a manager that comes in at 9am every morning, I apologise that he kept you waiting, considering you were in a rush but he was a mere 2 minutes late and i believe he rectified this for you when he met with you.
Once again I humbly apologise that you felt your experience with us wasn't up to par, as I spend a great deal of time with my staff training them on the importance of customer service and making sure everyone leave with only positive memories.
I hope you would consider visiting us again in the future and I will personally make sure that you are looked after.
Please contact me directly if you wish to discuss anything further.

Warm regards,

Danielle
danielle@porterhouse sy1.co.uk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We stayed in the suite which was a lovely room full of exposed timbers with bags of character and very comfortable. We were met by Nick when we checked in, and he could not have been more helpful throughout our short stay . We also dined in , had a thoroughly enjoyable meal ,and the staff could not have been more attentive . We would have no hesitation in recommending this to anyone looking to stay in Shrewsbury . A big thank you for a most enjoyable stay. Peter & Caroline Burrows

Room Tip: Go for the suite - excellent value
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
PorterHouse s, General Manager at PorterHouse.sy1, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Hi Peter and Caroline,

Thank you so much for your comments and we hope you had a safe journey back.
We really appreciate you taking the time to do this, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Many thanks,
Danielle and Nick
Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

We visited last night as a group, we had visited before just as a couple. It was a busy night last night for yourselves, which did show a little in rate of service but as we were a group there was plenty of conversation. Anyway on to the food, amazing again, this time I had the pulled pork burger which I really enjoyed. Now I'm a pudding person and had already decided before arriving tonight what I wanted. . . . The snickers baked alaska . . . .but this had run out I was so disappointed. The only part missing was the alaska part so I asked our lovely waitress (who unfortunately I didn't get her name) if there was anyway of having the rest of it with ice cream instead, she went and asked in the kitchen and it was achieved. Thank you so much for this it was much appreciated and still delicious. The cocktails again were amazing and we had quite a choice on our table.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 January 2014

A couple of friends and I went to porterhouse.sy1 on a Monday evening for a couple of sociable drinks and food, we were definitely not disappointed. We arrived at around 6.30pm after not booking and hoping for a table, we were greeted by a very friendly waitress who asked us if we were in for drinks or food which we replied both please. She set us up in their fairly new bar area with menus and explained they do a deal on a Monday ( happy burger Monday ) which was very appealing to us so we all had a pint of kozel and a burger for £10 each ( bargain ). When the food came out our jaws literally dropped.. My friends both had the Mexicana burger and I had the BBQ pulled pork burger, they all looked amazing!! They tasted amazing to!! Whilst eating we saw a couple of their steaks go out to other tables which also looked stunning. My friends and I all agreed it will definitely not be the last time we visit porterhouse.sy1 and would definitely recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed January 2014
Eardisland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We have just had a two night honeymoon stay at the Porterhouse and I cannot recommend it enough. Great value for money. Quirky design and well thought out little extras like a fridge. I stay in Shrewsbury regular and will use the porterhouse as my regular haunt. A great little find

Room Tip: We stayed in room two. I loved it... really quirky, watch out for the slanting floor. Might be bette...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Well we arrived on time but unfortunately our table wasn't ready. So we took a table in the bar but still took a while to receive our drinks. When we due to sit down we were kindly asked if we could order another drink while they just finish clearing the table not a problem we thought at the time. After we did take our seats we waited another 10 minutes at least to order then our food took over an hour to arrive. Once it had arrived we were all excited but not for very long. Some of the meals were cold and some didn't come until a further 10 minuets after the rest. Very disappointing. We will not be going there again!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Mad J, General Manager at PorterHouse.sy1, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
I can only apologise for the experience you had with us.
This is really not the standard that we strive to achieve and I have since addressed all of these matters with the staff, managers and kitchen.
I have total faith that if you were to return you would not have the same experience again.On that note please let me know if you are willing to give us a second chance and I will personally make sure you are very well looked after. If there is anything I can do please call me on 07808130678.. Many thanks Danielle General Manager
wolverhampton
Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed the night here and had a evening meal, room was cosy (I have to say the bed is one of the most comfortable I've slept in and the Hubby didn't morn about his back the following morning 10/10 :-) ) food was beautiful, sat and had a drink in the bar on the evening and the atmosphere was good. Staff were polite and extremely helpful.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple