“Relaxed, modern and exactly where I want to go again”
Review of PorterHouse.sy1

PorterHouse.sy1
Ranked #13 of 55 Shrewsbury B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“Relaxed, modern and exactly where I want to go again”
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

This is THE PLACE to stay if you're going to shrewsbury. My wife and I came here on our honeymoon after a few days in London and it was the perfect place. It's right in all the shops and has a fantastic restaurant of its own. Within a five minute walk in any direction you have all the shops you'd ever need, pubs with live music (Tudor house is the best) and a beautiful park to relax in.

My wife has officially dubbed shrewsbury, The Shire, and I couldn't agree more. There are beautiful green fields, historic churches and pubs full of cheer.

The charm of porter house is unmatched. There's a small number of rooms but they are awesome. The design is a perfect balance of new meets old. The design is updated but the floors are uneven. The restaurant falls under "shabby chic" with touches of a pub but the class of a city menu.

If it wasn't for my job, I'd move here in a heartbeat.

• Stayed May 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed in room 2 in early April. Arrived on a Saturday evening - checked in - our room was on the top floor - two flights of stairs. Wonderful room. Quirky sloping floor, exposed beams, lovely big bed and modern bathroom (with gorgeous toiletries!). We dumped our bags and headed back downstairs to the bar for cocktails (yum!) and a quick dinner (really good food). There is a really nice atmosphere in the bar. We were in the town for a party - when we got back (around 12.30am) the bar was still open so we took advantage and had a couple more drinks. Our room was lovely and quiet so we had a good nights sleep. Breakfast downstairs in the restaurant the next morning was excellent - as was the service. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this establishment for drinking, eating and for staying over. A real gem.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Fort william
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We booked a two night stay at Porterhouse for a recent wedding and were overjoyed at our choice.
We arrived to a friendly reception and were taken up to our gorgeous room , every little detail was catered for and a few luxurious extras , the chocolate brownies and flapjacks were a wonderful treat . . .
The room was very large and we loved the quirky sloping floor and exposed beams , the en suite was also very large and luxurious . . .
I have read some negative reviews about noise from the downstairs bar which YES it is a lively and great social bar , for me a massive advantage to the accommodation , my advise would be ask for room 2 which is on the second floor ,we heard absolutely no bar noise at all in this room . .
Breakfast was a joy at porterhouse , a fantastic cooked breakfast served by cheerful friendly staff and a choice of around 6 different cooked options all cooked to order yum yum . . .
We really enjoyed our stay at porterhouse , our only regret is not having a meal in the restaurant which appeared to be very popular , this is something we hope to remedy on our next visit as we will most definitely be back . . . Thanks for a wonderful weekend all at Porterhouse

Room Tip: Room 2 is on the second floor so no bar noise
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 April 2014

This is a great hotel with funky rooms, a very cool bar, awesome service with good food at a reasonable price ... I was booked in to another hotel and I left straight after being shown to my room ... I was lucky enough to get a room at the porterhousesy1 and would definitely come back again.

• Stayed April 2014
Bristol
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

We arrived on Thursday afternoon after having booked through booking.com. It had 9.1 and 5 stars We were shown to the top floor. We noticed no bulb in the bedside light. I asked for one, the guy was helpful but it took 3 trips up and down stairs to fix. The shower was dirty around the glass bottom and on the tiles. There were holes around the plugs. There was a dyson
fan on the bedside table which was encrusted with dirt, the filter needed changing. I asked for an earl grey tea bag, the same chap brought it up without any problem, and with a smile. The cups were dirty. The milk was off the next morning we kept it in the fridge overnight. We did not eat downstairs in the evening as we were already going elsewhere. The breakfast was not good we waited half an hour for a cooked breakfast, about 10/15 mins later we received white and brown toast which was from a sliced packet loaf we had requested only brown. We expected better quality bread and perhaps better preserves from a resturant which prides itself on great food. We would not recommend this hotel.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Alex S
Reviewed 10 March 2014

It is so uplifting to find an easy, relaxing and well managed place to stay when out on the road; I am too often presented with run-of-the-mill chain hotels that charge more and deliver far less. The PorterHouse.sy1 is a bar/restaurant with rooms (and only three rooms at that, as far as I could tell), a combination which often runs the risk of the rooms being an after-thought - not so here. My room was in the eaves of the ancient building with lots of uneven floors and associated character, but modernised with excellent shower facilities, well heated and nicely furnished. The evening meal that I enjoyed with colleagues was excellent as were the eggs benedict that I had for breakfast. Free (and working) wifi and friendly, attentive staff all added to an excellent set up. Some greater flexibility and access to plugs in the room would have made for a perfect stay. Nonetheless, I would highly recommend the PorterHouse.sy1 as a great place to stay in Shrewsbury!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Herefordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Room was lovely. Went down for breakfast in the morning there was no breakfast chef there just the cleaner and a man painting the walls. The cleaner said the staff are always late or don't turn up at all!! The man painting the walls said he could cook our breakfast! He made a cappuccino with instant coffee, yuk and we declined breakfast. We asked to speak to the manager, he was late too!! They phoned him to come in which he did with alchol on his breath. He did apologise and took some money off the bill but still, very poor! Was really looking forward to a lovely breakfast! Very disappointed as it was supposedly five star :-(

• Stayed February 2014
PorterHouse s, General Manager at PorterHouse.sy1, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Since reading your feedback and being obviously disappointed to hear how you felt your experience was I have looked into it in some detail and spoken to my team involved directly.
Being a small business our housekeeper does breakfast service and housekeeping, the 'man
painting the walls' is our breakfast chef during the week days and simply helping our to do a few odd jobs through the early morning to keep everything looking fresh; He recognised you were in a rush offered to put his chef whites on and cook your breakfast for you before our weekend breakfast chef arrived at 9am.
At the weekend, breakfast service is between 9-11 for our residents as we understand that they
may like a lie in, however if we are made aware that you need to leave earlier then there is always the option of having breakfast earlier or we can provide you with hot breakfast sandwiches to take away.
Our staff sometimes use instant coffee to drink themselves but we use only a fresh Shropshire roast for our customers.
We have a manager that comes in at 9am every morning, I apologise that he kept you waiting, considering you were in a rush but he was a mere 2 minutes late and i believe he rectified this for you when he met with you.
Once again I humbly apologise that you felt your experience with us wasn't up to par, as I spend a great deal of time with my staff training them on the importance of customer service and making sure everyone leave with only positive memories.
I hope you would consider visiting us again in the future and I will personally make sure that you are looked after.
Please contact me directly if you wish to discuss anything further.

Warm regards,