“Beautiful location, well cared for B&B”
Review of Three Abbey Green

Three Abbey Green
Ranked #9 of 155 Bath B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 August 2008

We stayed at this B&B for a weekend and really enjoyed it - it is very central but quiet (except for the noisy seagulls at dawn!). The location is lovely, in an old square close to the abbey and roman baths with a nice old pub opposite (shuts at normal closing time). The owner was very welcoming, giving us advice on what to see. The B&B is very well cared for with all the details looked after (prettily furnished, little extras in the rooms, nice spa shower gel etc) and the wide range of breakfasts are also nicely done. All in all it is a very personal and well cared for place, we would definitely go back.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ChipolatainLondon

Reviewed 16 August 2008

We only had two nights in Bath and certainly chose the right place for our needs. The hosts were friendly and attentive; with notice, they also provided coeliac breakfast and recommended good nearby restaurants. The room provided a lovely view of Abbey Green and was spotless, attractive with those home-from-home touches.
We look forward to a longer visit another time.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 August 2008

First of all, I apologise for my English mistakes …being not English.
However, I’ve been visiting England for about twenty years and stayed in many guest houses and bed and breakfasts.
The first unpleasant thing about three abbey green is that you are asked to pay for the bedroom when you arrive (though i gave my credit card number by phone when i booked). It gives you the bad feeling that the owner thinks you intend to leave the place without paying the bill.
Just before three abbey green we stayed in a beautiful BandB in the new forest, the “Taverners”, and we paid just before we left. The owner did not even ask for my credit card number to book.
But this is not very important after all.
The bedrooms are large and clean. This is great. Next to the tv there is a tray where you can make coffee and tea with some biscuits.
But in such an old and beautiful house, and for the price, we expected more antics furniture and like in the “Taverners”, more attentions to little details which add up to show that the owners care about making guests welcome.
I confirm what another guest wrote somewhere on this site, at least in my bedroom bedside tables are Ikea type as well as the lamps. And the mirrors on the wall are cheap mirrors that try to look antics.
About half the furniture are antics.
Better than nothing in fact.
There is no shutter on the windows but only curtains which means that the lights from the street and from the guest house (huge light from the inside of the house to light the facade!) get in the room which is a little bit disturbing if you like to sleep in complete darkness.
Above all, the bathroom is nearly empty, except for what is really necessary. There are two very cheap mirrors and the metal shelf in the shower begins to rust. Yes it does…
No shampoo, shower gel, talcum powder but only a bottle of liquid soap.
We were next to the front door of the house and from the bedroom I could hear the people going out and coming in.
During the night you can hear the noise from the street as if people were in your bedroom.
Hopefully Sue provides earplugs. It feels strange to me to have to use earplugs in such a beautiful environment (but it seems I am the only one on trip advisor) as if you were near a motorway or an airport. I live in a big city and don’t have to use earplugs, simply because there is thick glass on my windows.
The place where you have breakfast looks like a nice cafeteria.
Again, disappointment.
I don’t believe it is a question of money but rather a question of taste and the wish, or not, to welcome guests in a cosy and charming place.
We think that the breakfast is an average breakfast as most good guest houses propose.
Conclusion, this place is just a good guest house, because it is perfectly well situated in Bath, because the house in itself is beautiful and because the bedrooms are large.
Moreover, Sue is very helpful and very professional.
Too professional? It seems that she asks every guest to write a review in trip advisor or in guides.

• Stayed: August 2008
2  Thank denaeng
Reviewed 5 August 2008

After reading all the positive reviews on Three Abbey Green, we were really looking forward to our visit. The location is perfect, the breakfasts were good and the room was large and nicely furnished.

So what were we disappointed about?

1. We did not feel the warmth and hospitality of the hosts...The only person that seemed warm and friendly was their daughter, Nicci.
2. I like traditionally furnished and old homes but I like it to feel clean and fresh. Our room was large and nicely furnished and it looked clean but I could smell a musty, not very pleasant odor emanating from the bathroom . It might have been the old plumbing or the old fireplace in the bathroom, I don't know, but it marred my enjoyment of the room.

Suffice it to say, I will not be going back to Three Abbey Green... Once is enough for me.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank PVmomontherun
Reviewed 30 July 2008

We booked our the entire guesthouse for our weekend in Bath as we were a group of 15 and specifically wanted our own place. Sue and her family were very accommodating right from the start, allowing us to have beauty treatments there, use of champagne glasses etc. The location could not have been more perfect and all the rooms were beautiful and really spacious. Even the smallest room was a very comfortable double. The breakfast was delicious - good quality food and a good choice too. There was some street noise at night, but that's what you get if you want to stay in the centre of town. It was by no means unbearable and for the sake of the perfect location, I wouldn't complain. If I were to go back to Bath, I would stay in the same place again.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 July 2008

We did a lot of research to select Three Abbey and were not disappointed. The location was great. Easy to stop by during the day as needed as it was very close to everything we wanted to do. It really let us get a lot out of our stay. I think the other reviews give a good representation so I will just add a few other hopefully helpful specifics here.

Room - Old Plane Tree
Top floor room easy enough to get to. A great amount of space for two 6'2" guys. A nice view with two large windows in the bedroom area and a nice one in the bath as well. I'm picky about baths and this was a good one. The bath was a good size and layout but they need to put in a useable mirror. The current mirror is tiny and low, an easy fix. The hairdryer situation also needs impovement with a longer (extension cord) I think it is against code to have an outlet in the bathroom and the only outlet near a mirror outside the bathroom caused you to contourt your body to use it. We mentioned these to Sue so they may have been updated. It could have used some shelf space near the sink but there was a nice ledge in the window that worked well. FYI The pictures on the inn's website are outdated (see more current pics here)

Noise from Bar Across the Street
As other's say there is just some street conversation from 2 or 3 people as they leave/linger but definately manageable. Used the ear plugs and slept great.

Hosts had great suggestions for dinners and anything else we wanted.

We were in Bath for 3 days and could have easily spent a 4th.

Really nice PC/Printer set up. I am amazed at how many times this is not the case elsewhere. Thank you!

Would easily pick again.

Go enjoy!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank DougBoston
Reviewed 14 July 2008

My wife and I spent 2 nights in Bath on our way to Haifa, Israel on pilgrimage to the Bahá'í Holy places. We had the great fortune to start our trip at Three Abbey Green and get our travel legs under us. The place is absolutely wonderful! Comfortable, emaculate room (Old Plane Tree) with an outstanding breakfast that kept us going for the day. When we had to leave for Heathrow before breakfast, Sue left a travel breakfast that was more than we could eat. Free internet too. Not just close to everything, right in the middle of everything. Bath is a wonderful city and if we ever have the good fortune to return, I only hope Three Abbey Green is still in such wonderful hands.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple