“Great food in a nice and friendly place”
Review of The Chequers

The Chequers
Reserve with OpenTable
The Chequers is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #42 of 613 Restaurants in Bath
Price range: US$14 - US$30
Cuisines: British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: A landmark dining destination in the historic town of Bath, The Chequers is a beautifully restored gastropub on Rivers Street that has been serving customers since 1776. Offering a slice of local living to visitors from out of town, The Chequers is an elegant escape from the city’s bustling boutiques and is only a short walk from the Circus and the Royal Crescent. Serving a menu of home cooked, local & seasonal food alongside a premium selection of wines, local ciders and real ales, this is a fantastic place to spend an evening over a bottle or two with friends and family. On the menu you’ll find gastropub fare unrivalled in Bath with old pub favourites including their award winning Sunday lunch given a classy makeover. The Chequers restaurant also caters for business meetings and private parties.
Reviewed 15 June 2014

The Chequers is located in a nice residential area, a short walk from the town centre. The restaurant has a simple and nice interior. The food is British and of very good quality. It was definitely one of the best meals we have had in the UK. The staff is really friendly, so all in all: a definite recommendation!

Lianne C, General Manager at The Chequers, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2015

Thank you very much for your review. What compliment that your meal with us was one of the best you've enjoyed in the UK!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,122)

Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

I met a friend here for dinner on a mid week evening last week.
We are both foodies and regularly eat in the very best restaurants around the uk and abroad. They live in London and I in Bristol.
I have to say this meal was up there the the very best I've had. Ever. The service was great. The food was presented as good as I've ever seen and the most important bit - the taste - well at the risk of sounding dramatic - thoroughly glorious! Compare it to the price of the last Michelin starred meal I had and well, there is no comparison. This is the best quality good at a very reasonable price. I have a sibling who is a food writer and I immediately text them that day to try the place as soon as they can. And no - I don't know the owners - exceptional products deserve praise. Well done guys !

Clare S, Manager at The Chequers, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear Vestas,

Wow, what a great review! We're so glad that you enjoyed your meal here so much, to be compared so favourably to places with a Michelin start is high praise indeed! We'll make sure to keep an eye out for your sibling, and hope they're equally impressed!

Thanks again,

Reviewed 11 June 2014

We stopped in Bath this weekend and ate here on Sunday evening, great place, friendly staff, fantastic food, good wine list,and a relaxed atmosphere. We stopped at The Quneensbury Hotel who recommended this lovely gastro pub which was just round the corner, the locals had recommended too. Thanks to the staff for a lovely evening. We will be back when next in Bath!

Dear Jane,

Thank you so much for your lovely review, we're so glad that you enjoyed your meal here and your stay at The Queensberry.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We had a table for 6 on Sunday. We were slightly disappointed to be downstairs but only made the booking two days before, so understandable. The table wasn't laid when we arrived. Drinks were served - my glass of rosé was warm. We ordered from the waitress who was fine but not over-friendly or helpful. Our food arrived: no cutlery or napkins on the table.... we had to ask for them to be brought. Three of us has a roast - the plates were brought, overflowing with food (which was excellent) but also swimming in gravy, slopping all over the plate. And I have to say the gravy for the beef, chicken and pork looked exactly the same! This was a really disappointing aspect of what is a lovely place with good food. My roast megrim sole was delicious. I think we all felt slightly underwhelmed, because The Chequers is not cheap. Why can't gravy be served in a jug, so that people can take what they want? And why wasn't our table laid? We felt slightly ignored.

Clare S, Manager at The Chequers, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Dear Rebecca,

Please allow me to apologise for the fact that your recent visit did not quite live up to your previous experience. It is very disappointing to hear this and, although your comments about the food were very kind, the issues that you experienced with service were unacceptable and will be looked at in detail with our team. I hope that this will help us to ensure that, should you choose to dine with us again (which I sincerely hope you will), we can meet the kind of standards that we expect from our Sunday lunch experience.

Many thanks for your review, and we very much hope to see you again in the future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 2 June 2014

A guilty pleasure of mine over the last few years has been emptying my wallet into a number of Michellin Starred/aiming for a Star-type establishments. Despite this, I've never eaten a starter even close in quality to the Lamb Scotch Egg The Chequers served me. A wonderfully crisp (?Panko) crumb, juicy, flavourful lamb, a perfectly cooked quail's egg accompanied by swishes of puree which were the perfect fusion of rich and fresh. A month down the line I still can't stop thinking about it! I followed this with a very generous duck dish which was also fantastic. My Wife had a lovely steak.

We dined here having been booked at a sister business who had a power cut. I left not even mildly disappointed at this turn of events.

Nice decor - has a neighbourhood bistro feel to it. Friendly staff and - whilst not cheap - I think good value for money.

I'm desperate to return.

Dear Bob,

Wow, thank you so much for such a kind and flattering review! While I'm sure you would have had a wonderful evening at the Marlborough Tavern, I am so very glad that you enjoyed your experience with us. Our chef was thrilled at your praise of the food, and I'm so glad that you found our front of house staff to be friendly.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Many thanks,