“Excellent French food”

Bistro La Barrique
Ranked #61 of 571 Restaurants in Bath
Price range: US$13 - US$32
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Excellent French food”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Table did not require booking, but a nice buzz of people. Food came promptly and was more than enough. Will go again!

Visited July 2014

Durrington, United Kingdom
“Tapas style French restaurant close to the Theatre Royal”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This was an after theatre matinee performance dinner so we ate quite early at 18:30. It is just a few yards from the Theatre Royal and caters well for pre theatre dinner as well as after. Chef Michel Lemoine was at the bar and is a well known TV chef.
The idea of petit plats is very appealing and the menu has a nice selection to cater for all tastes. There were 3 of us so we ordered 6 main dishes and 3 sides which allows for a lovely variety of food to eat. The waitresses were polite and the food arrived quite quickly. People were also eating outside which is always nice to do.
The good parts about this meal was the variety of food that you could enjoy. It was well cooked but some dishes I thought were rather small and lacking in particular the Toulouse sausage that had very little meat and the ice cream for the tart tatin which was about a couple of teaspoons in size.
Service was good but not attentive enough for me. I had to gain the eye of the waitresses a couple of times when I would expect them to be looking at the customers to see if everything was okay.
The décor is not very French so the atmosphere doesn't come across as such. Also, there were a lot of dirty glasses on the bar which I think shows a lack of organisation and really puts me off. The bar is small as it is so this was very noticeable and spoilt the look.
Overall, the food was good and what I call fun to eat but there is a lot of room for improvement. It is ideal for the theatre and I am glad I went but with Bath having so many places to eat I doubt that I would visit there again. For what we got on our plates I think the costs were high and tapas bars give a lot more for less money. Monsieur Lemoine may be famous and on TV but I think to be a really first class restaurant that people will always return to then the service and look need attention - details count.
Still go for the food though :)

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Merlin_de_Manaus
exeter
“Delicious food”
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Had visited this restaurant a few years ago and when we visited Bath last month decided to visit again, not disappointed! The 'little plates' are a brilliant idea, my friend chose 2 identical plates and I went for 2 different ones, we both thought the minute steak was amazing and the wine was lovely. I must praise the waitress, she was lovely and nothing was too much trouble. Will definitely visit again when I'm up that way again

Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Authentic food”
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

A nice find and a good menu. We really liked the 'petit plats' and the good choice of wine. Very attentive service and nice 'vibe' to the place.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Pete C
Bath, United Kingdom
“The real deal”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

After having my fair share of chain restaurants serving supposed French cuisine, I nearly passed this place without a second thought. What a travesty that would have been.

Michel, the owner, is a Frenchman of great charm who makes you feel welcome, which for me, is the first step to my having a good dining experience. The decor is a trifle cliche- retro French brasserie- but it is cosy and impeccably clean.

The menu style, which resembled a French take on tapas is great in that you, and your guests can treat your taste buds to a variety of dishes. The presentation is not the über chic, minimalist high end- and over priced - brand of French food. There is no pretentiousness - simply lovely, well cooked food that is authentically French, yet Michel openly embraces flavours you may find in another country. A case in point was when he encouraged me to try a polenta okra dish, which is reminiscent of West Indian cooking. I am not a fan of okra, at all, but it was a surprise that I would gladly order again. In the rare instance where something was not cooked to satisfaction, there was a prompt response from Michel, or his staff.

All in all, I must say that it is well worth getting away from the beaten tourist track, check out the side street going up from the Theatre Royal, and look for the red and white awning.

• Visited March 2014