“The bookshop of your dreams”

Topping & Company Booksellers
Ranked #14 of 86 Shopping in Bath
Reviewed 22 September 2017

An outstanding bookshop, and I've been in quite a few round the world. Friendly, helpful staff, excellent variety of books on every subject. A must-see on your visit to Bath.

Reviewed 16 September 2017 via mobile

Annoyingly, despite the one individual who made me feel extremely unwelcome and in so many words told me to leave and waited until I did so, the place is actually wonderful. I wish I could leave a dual review.

I hadn't been here before but I'd been told about it, so I went in. I found a book I was in search for, sat down and started reading and taking notes. After a while I went to buy a tea and wasn't asked to pay straight away so I thought Id have to pay after. Once it was brought over to me another lady came over and asked if I wanted more tea thinking I'd finished, she was so sweet and I knew I was welcome at this point, I was looking forward to more lovely peppermint tea if I wanted.

Not long after, a man who worked there approached me, at first, seemingly lovely, then clearly unhappy with me sitting at a table reading and book (that I wanted to buy) Instead he proceeded to inform me in a passive aggressive manner that it isn't a café and that people 'come in and tend to just leave' and that it isn't an environment for people to utilise of their own will as it isn't a café and their drinks are free (which I wasn't aware of). For a while I thought he was just telling about how their business works, but it soon became clear after telling me that they don't have many tables and all of the other reasons I wasn't fitting with their 'way' that I wasn't welcome to sit there any longer. I let him know that I would move along, which he was happy about. I hastily left, shocked and rather annoyed.

Do all of your customers just come in and leave? Are the tables not to sit on and read? Are you only limited to one hot drink and then once you are finished it do you have to 'just leave'? And if so, why are your staff asking if people would like more?

I've never been made to feel so unwelcome for not knowing how a shop works, if that is how it works.

By all means visit this place, but perhaps ask what you are allowed to do there before you do, perhaps ask one of the lovely ladies that work there, I'm sure they may have been able to explain what this rude man meant to say in a less judgemental and dismissing way.

If you do visit, I hope he isn't there.

Reviewed 2 September 2017 via mobile

Fabulous selection of books, lovely old fashioned feel. Stocks old and new books. Really friendly staff who I'm sure would be able to answer any questions (I didn't have any at my visit). Plus they offer you free tea and coffee whilst you browse! The perfect place to go to escape the buzz of Bath!

Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

An outstanding book shop with an expert staff. There is a great atmosphere with a fantastic selection of books. The staff are helpful and offer a coffee to adults and a soft drink to the children. My favourite book shop!