“Superb Vegetarian Menu”

The Dower House at Royal Crescent
Reserve with OpenTable
The Dower House at Royal Crescent is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #92 of 569 Restaurants in Bath
Cuisines: British, European
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, View
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Dower House restaurant at The Royal Crescent Hotel in Bath –if an English hotel and restaurant have a more perfect setting, we don’t know of it. The frontage of the Royal Crescent is a masterpiece of Georgian architecture and the gardens, where The Dower House restaurant is set are leafy, secluded and lovely. Newly refurbished, The Dower House now features an elegant dining room and a super cool bar as well as a sunny terrace and manicured lawns for romantic al fresco dining. Head Chefs Gordon Jones and Mark Brega have created a modern British menu inflected with Asian and Mediterranean influences. Our pick? The French quail tart with creamed leeks and braised Puy lentils with Pommery mustard thyme sauce.
“Superb Vegetarian Menu”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Stayed at the Royal Crescent for one night with my husband for our anniversary. He is vegetarian, I am not. The decision to book and stay was based on the menu available to veggies - its not widely published, they simply say they cater for veggies - so we requested the menu, and duly booked. It an expensive experience to dine at the Dower House, and the mood on a week day evening was refined as opposed to vibrant - we had a drink in the bar first - although off menu the mojito I had was good, and nibbles arrived from the kitchen. They were relatively simply, but nonetheless appealing as a pre-dinner extra. There was then a pre-starter amuse bouche, involving jelly (apparently veggie friendly, we asked, and peas/ mint). To start I had the scallop sashimi which was delicate (as you'd expect) and lovely, and my husband the quinoa with fennel, roasted onion seeds, stilton beignet & walnut oil. The stilton wasn't overwhelming,and apparently it was very good. As my main course I had the lamb served pink - it was good but a little greasy - I should have read the discretion better - it was lamb, sat on top of lamb, with other bits of lamb; and nothing really to cut through the richness. The veggie main was Spelt, red chard, carrots, sherry jelly, hazelnut paste & crumb: I got the chance to taste the cream spelt, and it was truly creamy, but with some bite which gave a nice texture. There was a pre-dessert dessert, and we then had a pineapple cheesecake, and a strawberry & lavender creme brûlée. Its a running joke I always have cheese cake - and I should have done so; it was beautiful - instead I had the creme brûlée - the lavender was possibly a little overwhelmed by the strawberries but it was as expected very good too. FYI: I love food (in case you haven't gathered that), and I'm being possibly over critical!! The service was discrete and efficient, and there is a sommelier on hand if you need. Finally: best wholemeal/rye bread I have EVER had (there are three options, make sure you try that one).

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Caroline H

Essex, United Kingdom
“Amazing food and wine”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I don't think we could fault the food here as it was delicious. From the canapés to the petit fours with coffee everything had been thought through to the last detail. Would highly recommend.

Visited August 2014
Bristol
“Michelin quality”
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Really great meal, we eat out everywhere and so far this stands on par with anywhere we've tried. You must have the taster menu

“A luxury experience, for special occasions”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

The Dower House is located through the read garden of the Royal Crescent Hotel. It has a lovely, formal but relaxed feeling to it and is nicely laid out so that you get plenty of space. Service is very good, from the waiting staff to the somelier who will advise on a great selection of wines - not all of which are wallet busters.

Food is a real treat, and the menu is full of very unusual dishes which are clearly designed to impress and wow the diners. The tendancy is towards smaller portions but exquisitely and creatively served - for example, my smoked trout starter came to the table under a glass bell jar filled with real hay smoke, released at the table for full effect.

Despite the smaller portions, you won't go away hungry. Your choices of starter, main and dessert are complimented with amuse bouche, delicious breads, and sometimes a pre-dessert - on this occasion a delicious and fun Peanut Butter Panna Cotta with raspberries served in a miniature jam jar - lip smackingly tasty, and a fun and unexpected part of the service.

Both my wife and I ate the sea bass main, which was cooked to perfection and full of flavour. It came accompanied with a crab "fish" finger which was to die for - Captain Birds Eye standards just aren't going to cut it anymore!

Overall - just a delightful dining experience. The food isn't cheap and so not an everyday meal, but for the quality of food and service, and the sheer creativity and wow factor - it's great value for a special occasion.

Although not the focus of this review, my wife and I have also eaten breakfast here as hotel guests, and whilst more "normal" compared to the dinner menu - quality and value for money is also excellent for breakfast.

Visited July 2014
“Truly exceptional - even compared to global standards”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Stumbled across the Royal Crescent Hotel by accident when visiting Bath for a weekend away from London. Stopped by to see if they could accommodate us for dinner at The Dower House restaurant upon noticing the Relais & Chateau designation. We were delighted to see that they could and frankly cannot explain why this was the case on a Saturday evening at such a fine establishment. From here, I'll keep it brief. Having travelled to dozens of countries always in search of the finest cuisine, this random find easily ranks in my personal top 5. The food was flavorful, inventive, perfectly timed & portioned, beautifully presented and executed with the perfection of service that you would expect at a R&C. The very able sommelier provided excellent parings and thankfully did not foist a full flight of glasses to match all 8 courses onto us. I've never written a tripadvisor review before, but this experience compelled me to do so, partly because the restaurant wasn't full on a beautiful summer weekend night, which left me baffled. What they are providing here is a truly special and noteworthy experience and warrants a trip to Bath in its own right. Stop messing around and book it - you will not be disappointed by this flawless experience that is actually reasonably priced compared to what you would pay for something similar in London or Paris.

• Visited July 2014