“Nice food in garden setting”

The Wheatsheaf - Combe Hay
Ranked #160 of 577 Restaurants in Bath
Price range: US$39 - US$65
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Wheatsheaf is situated in large terraced gardens overlooking the village of Combe Hay in idyllic countryside just 10 minutes drive from the centre of Bath.  The Wheatsheaf is a haven of contemporary rustic chic, preserving the best of the past and enhancing the present. Real Ales, local Cider and an impressive, as well as attractively economical Wine List are still available from the Bar and only the very best of local and home grown produce is used in the preparation and cooking of the stylish and mouth-watering food in the Restaurant. The open log fire warms and welcomes in the Autumn and Winter, during Spring and Summer the Terrace and garden beckon.  The Wheatsheaf is a place for all seasons, for resting, relaxing and the fine things in life... Polite Dogs are welcome at The Wheatsheaf Combe Hay, Margaux and Gloria our Cocker Spaniels and Brie our Springer Spaniel all live at The Wheatsheaf.
Brussels, Belgium
“Nice food in garden setting”
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Usual Sunday lunch haunt was full so we came here, a lot of diners taking advantage of the gardens in the pleasant weather.
Limited choice of food with only one roast on offer, not a problem for me as I feel vast menus equal large freezers and lack lustre fare but this did cause some issues with some of our party not being able to find something they liked.
Nice roast pork had by most of us, a bit tough in parts but very tasty. I prefer my veg to arrive separately rather than a fully plated meal but that is my preference.
My pet hate of requesting a gratuity on credit card machines is their system here, I don't like that because I want to directly tip and I feel this type of electronic system is open to question as you cannot ensure that your tip is going to your server and not into the company pot.
Will not put me off from a future visit if my usual place is overbooked again.

Visited May 2014

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

The starter chosen by two of our party was not available so they did without . Looked forward to dessert but our choice from the dessert menu was also not available . Very disappointing, had we visited on a bank holiday Monday I would have understood the lack of choice but we visited at lunchtime on a Sunday.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank Disappointed913
Bath, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Made a special valentines day - despite the challenges!”
Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

My partner booked a table here valentines day and it was romantically perfect. I've visited here once before, some four years ago and had an equally good experience. For me it's always felt like a special treat to come here. The food is fantastic, the wine list is lengthy and it's set in a quaint country village amidst a beautiful rolling countryside. It can be tricky to get to, but well worth it. I love the charmingly rustic interior, log fire and comfy sofas, a real winter retreat. I've found the staff and service very good.
The terrible storms of valentines 2014, an hour before our eagerly awaited booking, we were contacted by a member of staff to advise that The Wheatsheaf had been victim to a power cut (nobody's fault and not surprising considering the weather)....our disappointment was quickly resolved an hour later when we were recontacted to be informed the power was back on and we could still attend our booking. Miraculously, we arrived to find the place running like clockwork, the staff were calm and collected, food was timely and exceptional, as though nothing had ever happened.

We love The Wheatsheaf!

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Lindzi T
Perth, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great vegetarian meal!”
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

The thing that I really love about the food here is the fact that in normal pubs you might get one boring vegetarian option (some bland mushroom packed dish or similar) but this place has an entire vegetarian menu!

I have eaten at the Wheatsheaf a couple of times now and the veggie meals have been of a consistently high standard. The new menu has a lovely carrot and cardamom curry, normally curries are a bit stodgy but this tastes really fresh with a lovely spicyness. The gnocchi I had previously was out of his world and the freshly baked bread is yummy - ours came still warm from the oven with several different varieties.
The desserts are sensational in taste and creativity (check out the angle on that possit! The fondant spoon trick was pretty awesome too!)

On top of that I was dining with a gluten free person too. GF bread was available (just let them know when you book your table) and many yummy menu options were also GF (by the sounds and smiles of my dining partner I think he'd definitely recommend the duck!)

Loved the food and will return for more when I'm back in the UK!

Ps The fire was warm and service was fab as always!

Visited January 2014
1 Thank P T
Bristol
“Terrible Choice for Vegetarians”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I visited for Sunday lunch with my partner and two friends on 12th January. Firstly to be fair they enjoyed their meat-based meals very much and had no complaints about the food whatsoever. However I am a vegetarian so I ordered the one vegetarian starter option and the one main option. The starter was a cauliflower soup (with the now obligatory truffle oil) which was OK but nothing particularly memorable. My main was what was described as a cheese and chestnut gratin. When it arrived in a tiny ramikin dish it was an undescribable mushy paste with a bit of toasted cheese on top (this is NOT what I or anybody would consider a gratin. I found the taste and texture unpleasant and couldn't eat it - all I had were the few sautéed new potatoes and the small portion of vegetables that came with it. Meanwhile my partner tucked into the roast chicken with roast potatoes, gravy and sauces, and my friends were enjoying their roast beef, roast potatoes and Yorkshire pudding, veg and gravy. I felt quite peeved that my excuse for a meal cost the same as theirs (£19.95 for 2 courses) despite being in a different league taste wise and in portion size. When asked at the end whether we enjoyed the meal I said that I was very disappointed with my vegetarian option but was just given an 'oh' reply and then the waiter walked off so they obviously don't care less if you not happy with a meal. It's a shame as it has a nice atmosphere and the meat eaters seemed very happy with their food. I just get the feeling that there is no thought whatsoever given to vegetarians. Another small criticism is that a 'special' meal was added to our bill - when queried the waiter just said "that was for the child's meal at the next table" (who had left earlier) and got another bill without an apology. Needless to say I won’t be returning.

• Visited January 2014