“Great B & B”
Review of Devonshire House

Devonshire House
Ranked #31 of 157 Bath B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 July 2011

Stayed at the Devonshirehouse for 3 nights & found it to be a delightful place.
It is located a little way from the city centre, about 15-20 minutes slow walk (downhill) it is also worth taking the scenic route into town the views are spectacular, there is also a good reliable bus service that operates a few yards from the b & b.
The premises are spotlessly clean & our room was comfortable, with tv,tea/coffee etc & even a bowl of fruit was provided.
The continental breafkast is ample with plenty of choices, we had the full english 1 morning & that was very well presented & cooked to perfection.
The owners Chris & Louise are both very helpful & are always eager to offer advise & tips regarding where to visit & places to eat, & provide plenty of leaflets with local info.
Bath is a very charming place & if we did return to Bath, we would certainly stay at the Devonshire House again.

Room Tip: Room No 5 is on the ground floor at the front of the house, it is double glazed - no noise from tra...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank anne170711

Reviewed 10 July 2011

Our room was comfortable, clean, quiet and had a huge bathroom. But the website is misleading about how close the B&B is to attractions in Bath. It's a 25-minute walk to the attractions and longer coming back (since you're going uphill on the return). The restaurant options without this walk are very limited. Secure parking is available, but you have very limited access to it. We opted for street parking, but that was a challenge. Breakfast was included, but we opted to skip it since we wanted an earlier start to our day.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ShowMeSomething
Reviewed 10 July 2011

We had a fantastic weekend break at Devonshire House. We travelled from Essex and ended up getting to Bath at 9.30pm, beyond the alllocated check-in times. However we were assured that this was not a problem.....I received an email the previous day explaining that they would not be in on our arrival and that they would leave our keys with the pub next door, giving us instructions, which worked well.

The room was lovely - a large double bed, a large shower and a toilet. We were provided with towels and shower and hand soap too. There was also a kettle with a variety of hot drinks to choose from and a biscuit - the room was very well catered for. There was a brochure that had been put together with everything that we needed to know about the B&B and Bath itself, aswell as leaflets and maps to choose from in the dining room. We were able to connect to the Wifi which was an added bonus. There was a wide variety of food to choose from for a continental breakfast and we had a cooked breakfast on our last morning which was lovely.

The service was wonderful, we cannot thank the owners enough for their hospitality and a wonderful place to stay. Thank you very much!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2011

My husband, teenage daughter and I have just returned from a lovely 5 day break in Bath. We stayed at Devonshire House which is a charming hotel close to all the main attractions in the City. It is around a 15 minute walk into the main city ( and a 20 minute walk back as it is uphill ). Our weather was lovely therefore we walked into Bath and back every day.
We were in room one which was a lovely, large, bright and airy room - perfect for the 3 of us. Both the room and en-suite were immaculate, decor fresh and well-equipped. The owners, Chris and Louise, were so friendly and helpful and made our stay in Bath a delight. We would highly recommend staying at Devonshire House and hope to return there some day in the future.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 June 2011

My wife and I stayed there 3 nights, and we enjoyed our stay thoroughly. It's the best hotel room out of the 3 hotels we stayed during our holidays in UK. It was recommended by my niece who lived down the road from Devonshire. This B&B provides good breakfast. Overall, it was a great experience for both of us I this nice English house. Both the owners Chris & Louise were very friendly and they kept the premises very clean. We will definitely return to Devonshire when we visit Bath next. Thank you Chris & Louise for the unforgettable stay. Take care and best regards.

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 25 May 2011

This is my first review that I have ever written. I'm doing so because the owners continually went so out of their way to make my stay comfortable!!

As reported by previous reviewers, this B&B in Bath was an excellent place to stay.
From my perspecitive, the best part was their service. On my last day there, Chris, one of the owners, went out of his way to find out the schedule of the bus which stopped a block from the B&B. Based upon his information, I was able to take this bus to Wells and then onto Glastonbury, which only cost me 6 pounds - quite a deal! The best was that I did not have to go back into town to pick it up, only having to walk one block downhill. This trip could easily be made by tourists as one day trip seeing some fantastic towns nearby.

In terms of location, I personally liked it being out of town, because it gave me a chance to get away from all the touristy part and to experience a smaller community in a real way. As mentioned before, the local pub next door had excellent food at reasonable prices. Within a short walking distance from this B&B, there is a beautiful park with an incredible view of the city of Bath. If I return to Bath, I would definately stay there again!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 May 2011

We found Devonshire House to be a delightful and relaxing place to stay. It was conveniently located (although uphill) to the Bath Spa area and an excellent pub next door. We were in the front bedroom - I was worried it would be noisy but fortunately that was not the case. The room was comfortable and charmingly decorated. The only thing lacking was an alarm clock but that wasn't much of an issue since we could set our phone alarm.
Louise was friendly and very helpful - called and set up taxi service for us when we needed (our cell phone plan didn't work in the UK) and gave excellent recommendations for restaurants and attractions. The continental breakfast was good with plenty of choices. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Just ask Louise!
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple