“Quick meal - fabulous”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We popped in at short notice and grabbed a table for two for a quick meal before seeing an event at The Komedia, just around the corner. The pace was full (including many local Chinese people, which is always a good sign!!) and whilst not cheap it was worth every penny, the best s&s prawns we've tasted in a very long time. We cleared our plates and tipped generously.

Really good, highly recommended.

There are newer reviews for Peking Chinese

Reviewed 6 February 2014

Some years ago I visited a restaurant in London’s Chinatown. I like to think it was called Lee Ho Fook’s, and I also like to think it was the restaurant immortalized in the Warren Zevon song, ‘Werewolves of London’. I was drunk at the time but despite that didn’t see a single werewolf, so if truth be told it may not have been either of those things. Anyhoo… By all accounts Lee Ho Fook’s is no longer in existence, but one of my few memories of that restaurant is of salivating like some kind of pest as the waiter deposited a plate of deep-fried lobster before me. I gobbled it down much like a dog would a cat-flavoured biscuit, before getting even more drunk on champagne, and probably finishing the evening in a place of ill-repute watching attractive ladies do things for money. The following day I undoubtedly felt very ill and thoroughly disappointed with myself for objectifying members of the opposite sex. Still… Needs must and all that.

Anyway…

The reason I mention what may or may not have been ‘Lee Ho Fook’s Werewolf-friendly Chomp and Slurp’ is because out of the many Chinese restaurants I have visited in my life to date, this was one of the absolute greatest. Another is one in Dartmouth that at this precise moment I can’t remember the name of, while another is Peking Restaurant in Bath’s Kingsmead Square. In Bath, Peking Restaurant is my destination of choice when I feel the urge to scoff first rate Szechuan or Cantonese in a particularly civilised setting. If I want a cheeseburger though, I’ll go somewhere else.

Décor-wise, the restaurant is clean and comfortable and, unlike many of the more traditional Chinese... (es?) I have visited to date, it has successfully avoided resembling a set from some random martial arts movie of the 1970’s. This is, of course, ridiculous stereotyping, if not a tad unintentionally offensive. Likewise, the notion that popped into my head a minute ago that the waiting staff should all dress as Hong Kong Phooey is probably unacceptable too, as well as quite absurd. Still, like I said it is clean and comfortable. The napkins and tablecloths seemingly contain more starch than a potato-filled skip, and as one would expect the cutlery has not been wiped dry with the armpit of a tramp. The plates and glasses always sparkle which, it could be argued, is somewhat untrue of my wit.

During my most recent visit I took advantage of the ultimate gobble-fest, the twenty-pound-per-person offer available Tuesday through Thursday. While prudence borne out of litigious history dictates I do not mention any specific establishments providing similar offers, this is not one’s average ‘eat till you puke’. Sure, it is not the cheapest of such profferings, but the menu is extensive and dishes are cooked to order rather than left for hours under a glaring light to dry out, discolour, and ultimately taste like fungus. The food has always been excellent and I have never once been disappointed either by that or the service. In fact, glancing at a few of the less complimentary observations herein I am at a loss as to the objectivity, or lack thereof, applied in their composition. Sure, everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, particularly if I have not yet had an opportunity to tell him or her what that opinion should actually be. I disagree with them entirely though. And it is, of course, my prerogative to do just that.

Because I like prawns, me, I tend to order quite a lot of them. The squid is awesome too, and so I order that as well. The crispy lamb is exactly as crispy lamb should be: crispy… and lamb, and I therefore recommend that much as in the same way I recommend ketchup with chips, albeit not in Peking Restaurant since that would be particularly inappropriate. I therefore conclude this jumbled sludge of words constituting my review of Bath’s Peking Restaurant by stating that without exception each dish I have consumed there has easily been worthy of my use of the word, ‘Yum’. I highly recommend visiting the place… unless you’re an oik. In which case I do not.

7  Thank NostrangertotheP45
Reviewed 29 January 2014

After reading reviews on twitter I thought I would give this place a try. Was not disappointed at all. Full of flavour and good quality meat, service was good and a great place to dine. Will go back soon.

Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

I am a Chinese and tell you that if you want to have authentic Chinese food, Peking restaurant would disappoint you so bad!

2  Thank wencongc
Reviewed 23 January 2014

We regularly eat chinese in London, but were very disappointed by this restaurant on our weekend trip to Bath.
The restaurant staff were very rude - one young Chinese man in particular. Food was average, I could've bought a better Chinese meal from Sainsburys across the road and saved my money.
Drinks - £10.70 for a double barcadi and coke ! Overpriced and over-rated.

3  Thank Zenyah123