“Superb staff, beautiful hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Halcyon Hotel

The Halcyon Hotel
Ranked #17 of 34 Hotels in Bath
“Superb staff, beautiful hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2011

A recent two night stay was made delightful by some very friendly and helpful staff working in a well equipped and beautiful hotel. The hotel is in a prime location to see all of bath, no need to use your car as parking opposite hotel and I will be revisiting again, stunning

• Stayed June 2011
      Location
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2011

We stayed for just one night but we were extremely pleased with the room and the lovely staff. Five minutes walk from the train station and five minutes to the Roman Baths. The hot water bottles are a lovely touch. We were in Bath on the wettest day in several years, but it didn't dampen our opinion of this lovely hotel.

Cairns, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

I think like many other reviewers I am a little baffled as how to rate the Halcyon.

Location: excellent central location. Spitting distance to train and bus stations and shopping district.

Staff: very friendly and helpful. Night porter was prompt to answer complaint.

Rooms: I had a standard room for 1 night which was fine as I was travelling alone but would have been cramped with 2 people. It was very warm at night with a window that wouldn't stay open and a fan so noisy you couldn't use it and sleep. The decor was nice and bathroom had a great shower. The hairdryer was powerful enough for a change and the tea making facilities to be expected.

Breakfast: a slightly disappointing continental breakfast with pastries, breads and cereals. Eggs to cook yourself and whole fruit. Perhaps the addition of cut fruit and yoghurt would help. For the price I did expect more.

Value for money: at £125 for a midweek night I would not say it was value for money given the parking is an extra £6-12. For that price I would expect a full breakfast, slightly more room with drawers for storage, and enough room to open your case on the floor. I was frustrated by the drunken idiots who returned to their rooms at 1 to knock on every door for their entertainment! I would also expect parking or atleast discounted parking at this price

• Stayed June 2011
      Location
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
San Diego, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2011

I read all of the reviews and decided to stay here for a couple of days off to enjoy the sites. I travel all over the world and I have to say this is the worse hotel ever!

First the only positive: nice staff who are helpful to a point.

The bad: rooms so small can barely get suitcase in room. Only one power outlet poorly placed. A bathroom so small that you can't open the door all the way because it hits the toilet. No air or heat so only choice is to open windows but so noisy this isn't an option. Stains all over the floors and hard as a rock bed. Plus internet didn't work.

The ugly: the noisiest room ever! From the banging of doors in the front and back of the room, to the room above can hear every movement, the bar downstairs from room is so loud can hear in your room, and the outside is so loud can hear everything. Couldn't sleel all night because of all the noise. Seriously the worse experience I have ever had in all of my years traveling. The staff actually had the nerve to tell me that the doors and windows were reinforced so wouldn't hear anything, what a terrible lie!

I tried to change rooms and they showed me a room that was partially condemmned because of paint/mold issues, seriously?

Couldn't get out of this hotel quick enough and moved to another hotel the next morning. There are too many great hotels here to stay in such a bad one!

Room Tip: Don't stay here unless you can't hear.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank KnowingThisKnow
HalcyonBath, Owner at The Halcyon Hotel, responded to this review, 15 June 2011
Thank you for your review – it is so unfortunate on this occasion that we did not live up to our own high standards during your stay.
We at the hotel are all so disappointed that we received this review. Although we did not charge you for your nights’ accommodation, we can only apologise whole heartedly for the poor experience you had . This guest stayed with us on a Saturday evening and we upgraded her from a deluxe room to a Studio - Unfortunately we had a small group of 6 ladies that stayed within the hotel that spoilt the usually peaceful night for others staying at the hotel. It is the first time since we opened 18 months ago that we have had a situation where guests in the hotel disturbed others in this way. They created noise late at night with banging of doors and played music in the room adjacent to the reviewer. Our overnight staff did their best to quieten the adjacent room but the irritation to this reviewer had already been done. It is quite understandable that she felt this way.

As owner of the hotel I was mortified that this had happened, I heard about this event whilst on my honeymoon. On the Sunday morning I rang the guest immediately to listen to her complaints and apologise wholeheartedly – we take it very seriously when a guest has not received anything but the best treatment and had a wonderful stay at The Halcyon. I believe this review was written prior to me speaking with the guest – we obviously did not charge the reviewer for her stay and I apologised profusely – as she noted, incidents out of the control of the hotel can sometimes happen and it was obviously not a regular occurrence and she was pleased in the way the hotel had dealt with the situation including the owner ringing her to apologise the next day. We are obviously very concerned and can take lessons for the future.

We did ask if the guest wished to move rooms but as the review mentioned the only room we had available was one that was closed for maintenance for a small leak to one wall.
To touch on a couple of points – all rooms have 2 power points either side of the bed and another one next to the desk. As many of our previous reviews comment most find our beds extremely comfortable with 1700 pocket springs, with cashmere and silk filling – I apologise that it was not to your personal preference . All rooms are fitted with secondary glazing and internet is available to guests free of charge within the hotel.

Once again I am extremely sorry for this poor experience and can assure readers of this review (who will read our other reviews) that this is not the usual experience of a guest at The Halcyon.
Amstelveen
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2011

Great location, staff is very helpful and friendly. Being in an old Georgian building has its disadvantages as far as comfort goes: no lifts, strange room shapes, problems with climate control. We couldn’t leave the window open the first night, even though it was very stuffy and warm, because the window looked out onto the street where there were a lot of tables on the sidewalk for the bar. People were whooping it up till late and there was too much noise to sleep through, so we had close the window. A room fan was supplied but it made the room too cold after a while. Also, the fan took up extra space in the already cramped and small room. There were only a few hangers stuck into a corner and no drawers at all, so you couldn’t put things away. Only one small stool to sit on. Bathroom was also small, with nice fixtures, but the bathtub drain didn’t work. Room was clean and bed comfortable. Continental breakfast was tasty and the bar area where it was served very stylish and pleasant. But all things considered, it seemed very expensive for what you got. Apparently downtown Bath is always expensive but I would investigate for a better deal first.

2 Thank DB1183
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2011

2 day midweek stay in Bath was made very special by the staff at The Halcyon. They acted as our concierge throughout our stay – making suggestions and reservations at bars, restaurants, spa and the theatre. You expect this level of service from a 5 star hotel. Hector the general manager heard it was our anniversary and upgraded our rooms and offered us 2 free cocktails in the bar. The bar is a grown up lounge which serves wonderful wines and cocktails – we had our pre and post dinner drinks there! I have written to the hotel to thank them for making our stay so special, I would whole heartedly recommend this place.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2011

Hi I stayed here in May with a group of women to celebrate a 50th Birthday. We had a fantastic time. The hotel is lovely. Rooms are lovely, showers amazing. Hector the manager couldn't do enough to help us over the weekend. The hotel is located close to lots of lovely restaurants and great shops. The bar is a must visit, it has a fantastic cocktail menu. I'll definitly be back with my hubbie.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family