“Small but special”

and up
City Sightseeing Bath Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
Ranked #43 of 178 things to do in Bath
More attraction details
Owner description: The Jane Austen Centre features a permanent exhibition that tells the story of Bath's most famous resident, the author Jane Austen. It explores the effect that living in the Georgian city had on her life and writing. There is a delightful Giftshop on the ground floor, which sells unique items bespoke to the Jane Austen Centre, and a delicious Regency Tea Room on the 2nd floor, which offers 17 varieties of leafed tea to go with our locally baked cakes. The Centre organises an annual Jane Austen Festival as well as walking tours of the city with an Austen theme. Costumed Guides will take you through the exhibition and be on hand to satisfy your quest for knowledge of all things Austen. You will get to taste some period-recipe food, dress up in Regency costume, and have your photo take with the world famous Jane Austen waxwork.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access
Reviewed 14 May 2014

My husband and I visited the Jane Austen Centre on our brief visit to Bath and we loved it. The short talk at the beginning really was the highlight and the young lady delivering the talk was enthusiastic, passionate and well informed. Enough so that she got a little applause at the end which was nice. This really whetted my appetite for more Austen and I can't wait to visit her house in Chawton and the larger museums later on.

The exhibit, although small, was nicely presented and the gift shop will be a treat for all Austen fans. I really loved that the staff were in costume as it really added to the effect of the era.

Mary W, General Manager at The Jane Austen Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Thank you for your lovely feedback; I am so glad to hear that you loved your experience here at The Jane Austen Centre. Our introductory talks are very popular with visitors and something we are very proud of, so it is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed it so much.

We feel that our enthusiastic and friendly Costumed Characters really help to create a Regency atmosphere, so I am delighted that you felt it added to the effect of the era.

Enjoy your time at Chawton – and you are most welcome to come back and see us!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,922)
All reviews
in 37 reviews
"tearoom"
in 64 reviews

Reviewed 13 May 2014

We headed there after visiting her house in Chawton. This was very disapointing as although it is too, mostly a self-guided tour, it is a little soul-less with few exhibits most related to Austen's era rather than Jane Austen herself. If you have to choose between visiting this or her house in Chawton, do not think twice and head to Chawton.

1  Thank EtienneGros
Mary W, General Manager at The Jane Austen Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry to hear that you felt disappointed by your visit to The Jane Austen Centre. We are not (and do not advertise as) a museum – and as such, we do not house any of Jane Austen’s personal artefacts – most of which were destroyed following her death. Our interpretive Exhibition instead offers extensive information regarding the author, and the city of Bath as she would have known it.

It is a shame to hear that you felt the Centre to be ‘soul-less’. Being located in an original Georgian house and having costumed Jane Austen characters on hand throughout the Exhibition, we find that the majority of our visitors experience a truly Regency atmosphere.

However, I thank you again for your comments, which I will of course take into account.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I was a little disappointed in the Jane Austen Centre. This is one attraction that I have wanted to visit for a long time but it was much smaller than I expected. There is a presentation before you enter the display which was interesting and well delivered and the displays were informative, I guess I just expected more of them. After I had finished viewing the displays I went upstairs to the Regency Tea Rooms for afternoon tea which was delicious. There are also some interesting items to purchase in the gift shop.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

This was the first place I headed to, as a confirmed Austen fan, when I visited Bath recently. The whole place gives a warm, cosy, welcoming atmosphere (despite what Jane thought of the place).

Our presentation was given by a young gentleman: Mr. Knightly was his name (Well done, sir!); and he was available throughout the house to answer questions and add comment. There was a marvellously informative film on Jane's time in Bath, and exhibits at every turn. I got goosebumps seeing an actual letter written to Jane by her sister Cassandra, and I got to write with an actual quill pen.

At the top of the house is a beautiful tea room, where costumed waitresses made us welcome, and we sampled the delicious fare and teas on offer.

As Miss Austen wrote: "Nothing but pleasure from beginning to end". Thank you so much, Mary.

Mary W, General Manager at The Jane Austen Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Thank you for your delightful feedback concerning your visit to The Jane Austen Centre - it is lovely to hear that you enjoyed yourself so much. We aim to give all visitors a truly Regency experience in which to learn about Jane Austen, so it is a pleasure that you found the Centre to offer such a warm, welcoming and informative atmosphere.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed your introductory presentation; I will be sure to pass the message on to Mr Knightley! Our popular Tearooms and the costumed staff are something we are also very proud of, so it is wonderful to hear that you felt so welcomed.

Do come back and see us!

See more reviews
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

I would recommend this for those who know little of Jane Austen. The presentation at the beginning by a young man dressed as Edward Ferrars(!) was very good but, after that, the museum itself was disappointingly small and the information on Jane's life fairly limited. We also ventured upstairs to the tearoom but were not made welcome and so left - go to Jollye's cafe round the corner instead! I thought the whole experience was rather overpriced for what it was.

1  Thank Milostaustell
Mary W, General Manager at The Jane Austen Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Thank you for your feedback regarding your visit to The Jane Austen Centre. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your introductory presentation – I will be sure to pass the message on to Edward Ferrars! I am, however, disappointed that you felt that Exhibition to be small. We are located in an original Georgian house so space is, of course, fairly limited. We do find, however, that the majority of our visitors spend over an hour inside the Exhibition, enjoying the numerous information boards, our exclusive 15 minute in-house film and the interactive activities on offer. Our knowledgeable Centre Characters are always on hand to offer further information regarding Jane Austen, should visitors have any questions, or wish to learn new facts about the author.
It is surprising to hear that you felt you were made unwelcome, as our Tearoom staff are regularly commended for their friendly and approachable manners. However, thank you again for your comments, which we will of course take into account.