“Hmmmm - not totally sure”

The Jane Austen Centre
US$77.56*
Bath and Stonehenge Day Trip from Oxford
Ranked #24 of 173 things to do in Bath
More attraction details
Owner description: The Jane Austen Centre features a permanent exhibition that tells the story of Bath's most famous resident, the author Jane Austen. It explores the effect that living in the Georgian city had on her life and writing. There is a delightful Giftshop on the ground floor, which sells unique items bespoke to the Jane Austen Centre, and a delicious Regency Tea Room on the 2nd floor, which offers 17 varieties of leafed tea to go with our locally baked cakes. The Centre organises an annual Jane Austen Festival as well as walking tours of the city with an Austen theme. Costumed Guides will take you through the exhibition and be on hand to satisfy your quest for knowledge of all things Austen. You will get to taste some period-recipe food, dress up in Regency costume, and have your photo take with the world famous Jane Austen waxwork.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Reviewed 12 July 2014

My daughter (14) really wanted to visit so we did. A family ticket was £22. The staff were friendly, and helpful. The initial talk was well presented, our host was a very likeable young lady who gave us a history of the Austen family and their connection with Bath. She also told us about how visits to Bath influenced Jane's writings which was interesting. The self guided part of the tour was rather limited, although the exhibits were rather more based on the Regency feel of Bath and how the Austen family would have been influenced by it. I didn't feel I learnt anything from the visit, although it was pleasant enough. My daughter enjoyed it though so I was happy with that (if a bit expensive!) It may have been better for visitors who didn't have a basic knowledge of Austen.

1  Thank Sam E
Mary W, General Manager at The Jane Austen Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Many thanks for leaving comments regarding your visit to The Jane Austen Centre. I am so pleased that you found the staff so friendly and helpful, as they are something that we are very proud of.

I am glad to hear that your daughter enjoyed the visit and that you found it pleasant. The Exhibition aims to inform visitors about Jane Austen’s time in Regency Bath, and the city as she would have known during her residency here. Whilst we believe that we offer information for both Austen fans and novices alike, we appreciate your comments – and will of course take them into account.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,875)

Reviewed 11 July 2014

This was our one and only high tea while visiting England and I spent months trying to pick the perfect place. I read about The Jane Austen Centre tea rooms on Tripadvisor and we went for it. It seemed like a more "authentic" experience than others in Bath. We were not disappointed. Our server was great and helpful! She took pitty on us poor Americans who didn't know what to order.

As my title says, this was the day I feel in love with clotted cream. Oh my goodness it was amazing and their scones were perfect! I can't say enough good things about our experience, so you'll have to just go and find out for yourselves!

Thank you for your wonderful comments about your time at our Regency Tearooms.
I am delighted that you chose to visit us, and so pleased that you found the experience amazing. You are always welcome to visit again for more scones and clotted cream!

Reviewed 11 July 2014

This is worth going to if you are a Jane Austen fan and happen to be in Bath for the Roman baths, but don't expect much.

Many thanks for your feedback.
It is as shame that you don’t think that visitors should expect much at The Jane Austen Centre, as we feel that we offer an informative and interesting environment in which visitors can learn about Jane Austen, as well as take part in interactive activities.
All visitors are given a live introductory presentation by a costumed character, and the Exhibition following this has several sections which provide information on both the author and Regency Bath.
Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

We were expecting so much more from this museum! As Jane Austen is recognised worldwide for her writing and such a household name, we were disappointed with the quality of this "Jane Austen Centre". There were some nice touches and dressing up was fun but if funded properly, it has the potential for being so much more. I was also expecting it to be bigger and more polished. Maybe someday if relocated and more time, money and research were put in it would be much more suited to the standard Jane Austen's legacy deserves.

3  Thank belle133

I am sorry to hear that you felt disappointed by your visit to The Jane Austen Centre.

We are not – and have never advertised as – a museum. The Centre is an independently owned company, so unlike many other attractions in Bath, we do not receive outside funding. However, the majority of our feedback suggests that visitors enjoy the way in which information is offered – through a live introductory talk, numerous information boards, an exclusive in-house film and interactive activities. It is therefore a shame that you expected more from your time at The Jane Austen Centre – although I am glad to hear that you found the dressing up area fun, as it is something that is very popular with our visitors.

We do, however, appreciate all feedback and will be sure to take your comments into account.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Lovely afternoon tea, with the added attraction of a whole group dressed in period costume! I was with my 3 daughters and we all enjoyed our sandwiches and scones, although struggled to manage the cakes. They did kindly pack the left overs for us but they put them in a bag rather than a box, so they became rather squashed! I think for the high cost it wouldn't be too much to expect them to provide a cake box. However, that aside it was a lovely special treat, best to book ahead though as some people were sent away with a 45 min wait!

Mary W, General Manager at The Jane Austen Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave comments regarding your time in our Regency Tearooms – I am so pleased that you enjoyed you time here. It is, as you say, a special treat – so it is a delight to know that you found your time with us so lovely.