“Back to normal!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Hereford, United Kingdom
“Back to normal!”
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Booking a trip to Bath has for some long time meant making a reservation at the Queensberry; we have had many delightful experiences there and consistency was its watchword.

Sadly, a trip last May left a rather less positive impression for a variety of reasons and, when we received an email from the hotel's General Manager hoping that we'd had a pleasant stay, I decided to respond by pointing out the shortcomings that we'd unfortunately encountered on this occasion.

I received a thorough and courteous reply several days later (the General Manager apologised for the delay which had been occasioned by her absence from the hotel for several days). She hoped that we would consider the Queensberry again and asked that, if we did, she would like to handle our reservation personally.

Circumstances sadly offered us no opportunities to visit Bath again until earlier this week. I spoke to the General Manager and was offered a very favourable deal on two nights in one of our favourite rooms there and our stay was excellent in every way - just as we'd been used to!

When visiting last March, we learned that the Olive Tree Restaurant's excellent chef of several years had recently departed for an establishment in Wales (curiously, we'd eaten at the Olive Tree on his last night the previous January without, of course, knowing that he was about to pack up his pans and leave!). We found the new chef OK but not on a par with his predecessor and, when visiting in May, we ate elsewhere because friends had invited us to dine with them.

This time around, we decided to try the Olive Tree again on our first night and, whilst we still think that the previous chef was a very hard act to follow, we were very well served by the cooking of the present chef who had presumably settled in there well long beforehand; we would once again warmly recommend the Olive Tree. We rather wish that we'd dined there the following night instead of going to The Circus Restaurant just around the corner, where we were sadly disappointed - and surprisingly so, having eaten very well there on several previous occasions (see my review of this).

All in all, a delightful stay and we're already looking forward to our next one! Many thanks to the General Manager and all staff for making it so!

1 Thank sorabji_archive

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
Hampshire
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I said to myself that if I was asked about my stay on check out, I would tell them the issues and not write them on tripadvisor...I wasn't asked...on early arrival I asked if there was an area that I could dry my hair (it had been raining) but was told that "it is against the law in England to have plugs in the bathroom". I said I didn't need a bathroom but any room would do and this "law" was repeated. Fortunately, a lovely worker overruled this bizarre response and said we could use our room even though it was not ready yet and I am very grateful to him. We stayed in Room 3 for £165 and on first appearances, it seemed very nice. However, the bathroom was very tired and the shower door kept getting stuck and you had to force your way out! We were kept awake all night by some sort of generator that was right next to the room. They park your car (for £5) but this is just on the street and not near the hotel, as we found out when we needed something from the car. Suffice to say, after spending months organising my husband's birthday, the hotel was so disappointing and when I return to Bath, I will be staying elsewhere.

Room Tip: Do not stay in Room 3 - loud noises kept us awake
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank cate_devine
Lauren M, General Manager at Queensberry Hotel, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Dear cate_devine

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Queensberry.

I was most concerned to read your comments regarding the confusion over using a hairdryer. I am certain that this was a simple mis-understanding of your request and I am pleased to hear that a member of my team resolved this for you.

With regard to bedroom number 3 specifically, there is no generator of any machinery near to this bedroom that would cause disturbance. Had you brought this matter to our attention at the time we certainly would have investigated and eliminated this issue.

I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay and don't plan to return, however should you have a change of heart it would be my pleasure to welcome you back and give you the positive and memorable experience that the vast majority of reviewers enjoy.

Wishing you a very Merry Christmas

Yours sincerely

Lauren McCann
London
Reviewed 18 December 2013

From the moment we arrived to the moment they brought our car back the service was excellent in every way. Nothing was too much trouble. The hotel is a fabulous building well presented and spotlessly clean. A lot of hoteliers could learn alot from the Queensberry and we shall definitely return.

Room Tip: Room 8 was very large
1 Thank EastendBoy1
Matlock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 December 2013

This is the 2nd time we have staying at the Queensberry, on both visits we have received excellent service, the staff are very friendly and polite, nothing is a problem.
The hotel is quirky and fun with fabulous decoration, we stayed in a Deluxe Double which are very spacious.
The hotel is a short walk into the centre of Bath, if staying for a few days once your car has been parked you will not need it. There are plenty of restaurants, bars, cafes nearby, the Roman Baths are a not to be missed along with the fabulous shopping.
Great hotel and as other reviews suggest you will not want to stay elsewhere once youv'e stayed at the Queensberry!

1 Thank maggiemay1925
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I stayed for 2 nights in this hotel with my wife and 4 month old child. We ordered a Deluxe Double Room which was very spacious and had ample room for a travel cot in addition to the other amenities in the room.

The room itself was excellent, with a sofa and coffee table along with a desk and chair and a small walk in closet. An ironing board and iron were sent to the room as soon as we requested same. The only two items missing were a mini bar and tea/coffee facilities and while I understand the hotel's reasoning behind this given the size of the larger rooms I would think this policy should be reviewed for some of the room types.

The location of the hotel is fantastic for Bath as it is within walking distance of everything and if you wish to explore the city it is an excellent base. The staff in the hotel were very accommodating and we had no issues with room service which we ordered on the second night.

The only reasons that I would give the hotel 4 instead of 5 stars are for the lack of tea/coffee facilities and a mini bar in the room and also that (as it is converted Georgian Houses) it can be a little tricky to manoeuvre a pram around the hotel and I would imagine it may be a little difficult for a wheelchair also.

I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel for a stay in Bath.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

We had the pleasure of spending one night in room 17 at the Queensberry in December for the Bath Christmas markets.
We booked directly through the hotel (rather than a third party) in order to receive the "Direct VIP Benefits" which entitled us first refusals on upgrades, 20% discount in the bar an 10% in the hotel restaurant.
We booked a "Classic Double" (£130 + £5 parking) but were upgraded to a "Superior Double".

Positives:
Room is well sized for a city hotel.
Extremely clean with loads of character.
Loads of character in the hotel.
Great hotel bar and cocktails!
Friendly staff.

Negatives:
Tea and coffee not in the room is more of a pain than you expect (although complimentary tea and coffee in the tea room (8am - 8pm) and we did bring it upstairs in the morning).
Grouting in the shower needs replacing.

On balance we had a great time and will likely return next year!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

This was our second visit to the queensbury hotel, and we were delighted once again.
The attention to detail at the hotel is fantastic, the rooms lovely and the beds are very comfortable. We had the superior double which was a fantastic size with a separate dressing area and a sofa for lounging in.
Breakfast although not included is value for money and is fantastic.
By booking direct we were able to get discounts at the restaurant.
The location is perfect and having had the car valet parked we were within walking distance of the shops, spa, restaurants and bars.
We dined at the hotels restaurant the olive tree which was just perfect.. And extremely good value.
The cocktail bar is attended by an amazing waitress who really knows what she's doiNg and makes delicious cocktails.
We love this place and have already booked our return for next year.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple