“Almost Perfect!!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
LONDON
“Almost Perfect!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

Our stay over the Christmas holidays was almost perfect. We arrived with tons of luggage we must have looked as if we were staying for a month rather than 4 nights! The staff were very welcoming and helpful from the start and this lasted throughout our stay. The food in this hotel is very good and consistent. The rooms are very comfortable and we will definitely stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

Hotel with character, location and service. I could write at length about all the positives but I fear that it would be boring for everyone involved. To be succinct, we had no issues at all with our stay here. An email to confirm the booking, plus another a few days before, then a further communiqué the day after (I place an almost irrationally a high value on clarity and quality of communication!) is an indication of the approach to service taken by the excellent staff, who proved to be as competent and pleasant in person during our stay. We were upgraded to room 23 on the top floor, which was a pleasing start. Spacious, amazing view, silent, good en suite, massive bed, spotless. We didn't experience the restaurant, but did have a cocktail at the bar, which was excellent. As far as I can tell, if you don't enjoy a stay at the Queensbury, you've either missed the point, or you've been very unlucky. I'll be back someday, but living in Bristol makes it tricky to justify! Thanks to all the staff.

Room Tip: Room 23 was splendid. Top floor, with a terrific view over (rain-swept) Bath!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

Had a wonderful stay in this hotel. Very comfortable beds and rooms, excellent breakfast and bar, clean and welcoming. Staff were very friendly too. Room service was great, as was complimentary shoe shine! Had a lovely time, and a very convenient location in terms of the city centre and shops.
Will book again.

• Stayed December 2013
Minneapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

Planning our day in Bath brought scenes of the beautifully shot movie, The Duchess to mind. Our short stay at Queensberry Hotel was luxurious and exceeded what I hoped our last day in England would be.

We arrived in Bath by train, with luggage in tow and walked 20 or so minutes up the streets of Bath. In hindsight, we should have taken a taxi. We arrived early on the day of our reservation, and were graciously welcomed. The staff took our bags, and showed us into the guest lounge were there were complimentary refreshments. In the lounge I spotted a Queensberry Hotel mug, and asked if I might be able to purchase one. I was told there was an insulated mug available for sale, but that the staff would look for the ceramic mug I requested.

We left the hotel to tour Bath for a few hours until our room was ready. When we returned, we were told that our room had been upgraded and that the staff was able to find the mug I requested and it was a gift from the hotel!

The decor of the room was a stylist mix of modern and antique, it was clean and comfortable, and we had the most beautiful view of the city. Also, because we booked directly through the hotel website, we were also given a lovely keepsake tote that I used around Bath. A nice touch!

Overall, our experience at the Queensberry Hotel and the restaurant and bar was fabulous! I felt like a duchess lounging our our room while looking over the city. It was the perfect ending to a lovely vacation.

Room Tip: I read advice to request a room at the back of the hotel. I think our upgraded room was at the fron...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Hereford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

Booking a trip to Bath has for some long time meant making a reservation at the Queensberry; we have had many delightful experiences there and consistency was its watchword.

Sadly, a trip last May left a rather less positive impression for a variety of reasons and, when we received an email from the hotel's General Manager hoping that we'd had a pleasant stay, I decided to respond by pointing out the shortcomings that we'd unfortunately encountered on this occasion.

I received a thorough and courteous reply several days later (the General Manager apologised for the delay which had been occasioned by her absence from the hotel for several days). She hoped that we would consider the Queensberry again and asked that, if we did, she would like to handle our reservation personally.

Circumstances sadly offered us no opportunities to visit Bath again until earlier this week. I spoke to the General Manager and was offered a very favourable deal on two nights in one of our favourite rooms there and our stay was excellent in every way - just as we'd been used to!

When visiting last March, we learned that the Olive Tree Restaurant's excellent chef of several years had recently departed for an establishment in Wales (curiously, we'd eaten at the Olive Tree on his last night the previous January without, of course, knowing that he was about to pack up his pans and leave!). We found the new chef OK but not on a par with his predecessor and, when visiting in May, we ate elsewhere because friends had invited us to dine with them.

This time around, we decided to try the Olive Tree again on our first night and, whilst we still think that the previous chef was a very hard act to follow, we were very well served by the cooking of the present chef who had presumably settled in there well long beforehand; we would once again warmly recommend the Olive Tree. We rather wish that we'd dined there the following night instead of going to The Circus Restaurant just around the corner, where we were sadly disappointed - and surprisingly so, having eaten very well there on several previous occasions (see my review of this).

All in all, a delightful stay and we're already looking forward to our next one! Many thanks to the General Manager and all staff for making it so!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sorabji_archive
Hampshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

I said to myself that if I was asked about my stay on check out, I would tell them the issues and not write them on tripadvisor...I wasn't asked...on early arrival I asked if there was an area that I could dry my hair (it had been raining) but was told that "it is against the law in England to have plugs in the bathroom". I said I didn't need a bathroom but any room would do and this "law" was repeated. Fortunately, a lovely worker overruled this bizarre response and said we could use our room even though it was not ready yet and I am very grateful to him. We stayed in Room 3 for £165 and on first appearances, it seemed very nice. However, the bathroom was very tired and the shower door kept getting stuck and you had to force your way out! We were kept awake all night by some sort of generator that was right next to the room. They park your car (for £5) but this is just on the street and not near the hotel, as we found out when we needed something from the car. Suffice to say, after spending months organising my husband's birthday, the hotel was so disappointing and when I return to Bath, I will be staying elsewhere.

Room Tip: Do not stay in Room 3 - loud noises kept us awake
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank cate_devine
Lauren M, General Manager at Queensberry Hotel, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Dear cate_devine

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Queensberry.

I was most concerned to read your comments regarding the confusion over using a hairdryer. I am certain that this was a simple mis-understanding of your request and I am pleased to hear that a member of my team resolved this for you.

With regard to bedroom number 3 specifically, there is no generator of any machinery near to this bedroom that would cause disturbance. Had you brought this matter to our attention at the time we certainly would have investigated and eliminated this issue.

I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay and don't plan to return, however should you have a change of heart it would be my pleasure to welcome you back and give you the positive and memorable experience that the vast majority of reviewers enjoy.

Wishing you a very Merry Christmas

Yours sincerely

Lauren McCann
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

From the moment we arrived to the moment they brought our car back the service was excellent in every way. Nothing was too much trouble. The hotel is a fabulous building well presented and spotlessly clean. A lot of hoteliers could learn alot from the Queensberry and we shall definitely return.

Room Tip: Room 8 was very large
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple