“Quirky lovely”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Quirky lovely”
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Unusual layout and decoration - beautifully done. Room well appointed (No12) and very comfy bed. Very clean. Some noise from people walking home as room at front - but it is close to city centre so to be expected. Birthday weekend for my Mum and the 8 of us staying all loved it. Plenty of communal spaces to relax in - lounge and bar comfy chairs. Very helpful and attentive staff. Rooms at back of hotel get quite warm in the afternoon. Pretty courtyard. Good breakfast. Really nice touch to provide spa pack for trips to Thermae Spa - thank you. Lovely 2 nights - would stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms at back very warm. A little street noise at front.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
Bedfordshire
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We liked the Queensberry and will be going back in the summer. It's in a great location (tho bear in mind, Bath is a hilly city and the Queensberry is a bit of a climb from central Bath) and has definite character. The Olive Tree restaurant is exquisite and the staff are very knowledgable and helpful. It's based in a bit of a rabbit warren, but that adds to the character. We had dinner and breakfast there, and both were delightful. The cocktail bar is small and intimate and the cocktail waitress is very good, knocking up 'off menu' cocktails with skill and enthusiasm. The hotel offers a 'spa pack', robes and towels, shampoo etc for those visiting the Thermae Spa, which we took advantage of and were very grateful for it.

The not-so-good: there aren't tea and coffee making facilities in the rooms, you are expected to get all the coffee you need in the drawing room, by reception, or pay for espresso based coffee from room service. An elegant idea, but it rather fails first thing in the morning, especially when your room is a good walk, up several staircases from reception. The first morning we phoned down for coffee and was told it was available in the lounge, although actually it wasn't. The second morning, my husband went down to get coffee and again it wasn't ready (despite being past 8am) so a very helpful receptionist bought it up to our room once it was ready.

Additionally, if you have a room at the front of the hotel, you could find your sleep disturbed by rowdy people in the street. Unfortunately, I doubt the nature of the building will allow for double glassing, but curtains or shutters would reduce noise.

Room Tip: Avoid room 28, it gets noise from the room above and the street.
2 Thank TlaT
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I've stayed at the Queensbury about 4 times now, for business and pleasure and it never disappoints. The hotel is very comfortable and ideally situated to explore Bath. If I have to make any sort of criticism then perhaps it's the service.

Don't misunderstand me; the service is very good, but perhaps in their attempt to provide the best customer experience, it can sometimes come across as a bit cold and sterile.

I'm not sure if I we've been unlucky in my timing, but each time I've stayed at the Queensbury, which includes weekends and weekdays, it's always been pretty quite in the evenings and often the the bar is empty. In my view the hotel needs to create a bit more of an atmosphere, a bit of pizzazz, create a bit more soul and I think the first thing to do is employ an experienced bar tender to help you explore and enjoy or those intresting whiskies? An empty and unmanned bar never seems that friendly.

Perhaps this review is more for the Queensbury management than customers and perhaps I'm just being a bit too prickly - Because as the title of my review says, " it is a great hotel, in a great city and I recommend both whole heartily.

London
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We booked The Queensberry for the night with my husband and two kids (9 and 6). We booked a suite with two put-up beds for the kids. The hotel was gorgeous, the staff really efficient, and the location perfect to walk to all the sights and sounds of Bath. We were only there for one night but would definitely go back again if we were in Bath. The kids loved the big room, fluffy robes, great bed linen and delicious room service! We walked to the Roman Baths etc and had super lunch at Hall & Woodhouse, again recommended for the family. If I had a bugbear it was probably being charged £25 each for the kids put up beds... Seemed a little excessive... Other than that no complaints...

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Kineton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

We're really struggling to find fault with this hotel, it might actually be perfect!

Our room, number 12, is large with a small entrance hall leading to the bedroom and bathroom. Both are very spacious and decorated to a high contemporary standard which suits the Georgian architecture.

The bed was large and very comfortable! We also liked the 'flying pugs' attached to the wall, a nice quirky feature which suits the hotel.

Room service was prompt and the burger and chicken Cesar salad we ordered were very good.

Staff have been very attentive, from valet parking, turn-down service and the night porter.

Makes the hotels I've been staying in London recently look like hopeless amateurs!

Booked directly and we got a great price too. We'll definitely be back again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Cholsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We stayed at The Queensbury the night after we got married and we couldn't have been happier with our choice. We received a warm welcome and a free upgrade for booking directly with the hotel, rather than going through a third party website. The Four Poster Suite was fantastic with the most amazing bathroom I've ever seen! We had dinner in the Olive Tree, which was absolutely delicious and worth every penny. We would highly recommend the hotel and restaurant and suggest booking directly through their website for chance of a free upgrade.

Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

We have never stayed in anything like it before and I have to admit I was very slightly disappointed when we pulled up outside; disappointed because we had wanted to stay in The Bath Spa but couldn't bring myself to pay the price. I searched for deals for several days before and to be honest I was very shocked as all the Hotel prices were very high. So forget the Spa, we had after all come to visit the beautiful City. It didn't take more than a minute inside to realise its quirky charm, friendly staff and warm welcome which won us over. Our room was ok No 16 it wouldn't have been the best room I'm sure but it was clean and comfortable. We ate in the Restaurant on the first of two nights which was amazing. Staff were a little too attentive if I am honest which I do find a bit annoying but that's just me
All in all we had a most enjoyable stay and would recommend it

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple